G37 Sedan

Help!!!!Please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM
eddyjai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help!!!!Please?

Hi,

I recently bought my first infiniti G37x sedan. I heard everyone in this forum talking about a mode call DS mode? i am wondering how do you turn it on? I know it is something stupid but please teach me? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Congrats on the new ride! When you put your car into D, just slide the shifter over to the left. Now its in DS mode where you can push the shifter up and down to change gears manually.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
eddyjai

thanks so much oOmikeyboy...now i just have to learn how to drive in manual lol hmm i guess i should use my new car to learn how to drive a manual eh?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 AM
yuenchiu6

Originally Posted by eddyjai
thanks so much oOmikeyboy...now i just have to learn how to drive in manual lol hmm i guess i should use my new car to learn how to drive a manual eh?
I would say no because the most difficult part of driving manual is controlling the clutch instead of shifting the gear.

PS: Are you Cantonese?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Mockenrue

When you push up or down to switch from DS to "manual", does it shift or just change modes and you have to push up or down again to shift the first time? When I tried it, it seemed like the second scenario.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 AM
eddyjai

yuenchiu6 haha as for your concern yes i am catonese how you know? because of my username? hahaha but yeah due to the fact that im not too good with manual transmission i don't know if i can handle the DS mode where i need to shift my own gears. Also i am wondering when i put it on DS mode to change to the 1st gear i have to push it up once right? and if i want to shift down a gear i push the **** down once is that how it goes with the tiptronic for infiniti? <-----hahaha im such a noob!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
oOmikeyboy

Its not as hard as you may think! you just push up to shift up, and down to shift down. The car won't let any mistakes happen, you can't over-rev the car at all. Basically its just there so you can control what gear you want.

You can also just leave it in DS mode and not touch it.. and it will shift more aggressively FOR you. Does your car have paddle shifters?

ps. i know quite a bit of cantonese myself.. haha.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
eddyjai

hahaha oOmikeyboy unfortunely my X doesn't come with paddle shifter since i didnt get the sport package. After your explanation i am actually relieve in trying out the DS mode now hahaha before i thought you'll need to know how to shift gears(without over reving it) for DS mode. Thanks so much! let me try it tonight or something.

By the way Canto rule!!! lol j/k...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 AM
oOmikeyboy

Oh right, the G37x. yep, just whenever your cruising down the road.. push the shifter to the left. Now ur dash will say DS.

Try driving around like that for a while..and then pull the shifter down. It will downshift 1 gear for you. Don't cruise around at 7k rpm's though thats not economical.. lol

Let us know how you like it. If at any point you don't know what to do, push the shifter back to the right into D mode and it'll go back to normal automatic mode.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are 3 modes with this transmission and it will be displayed as follows in the middle of your dash (red display):
  • D - Fully automatic. The normal mode when you move it into D.
  • DS - Sport Mode - Automatic. Move the gear selector to the Left to enter DS mode. It will shift more aggressively than D but is fully automatic.
  • Mx - Manual Mode where x is the gear. Once you move the gear lever to DS mode, you can shift manually. If you decelerate or come to a stop it will automatically downshift.
If you're in Manual Mx mode and want to move back to DS mode, you need to move the gear shift lever to the right (D) and then back to the left (DS). In other words, if you're in DS mode and you manually shift you'll be in Manual Mode until you move back to D.

BTW it's not a stupid question. When I took the car for a test drive and the salesman kept mentioning the "Sport Mode" on the transmission I asked him where the switch was since most cars with this feature have a Normal/Sport switch. He said "it's always in that mode"!!! I decided to wait until I read the manual at that point.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
eddyjai

Thanks so much for all your replies. I will try everything tonight again thanks alot!