G37 Sedan

Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
bonbG37xSman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash

Hey all,

I'm a new and proud owner of an '09 G37xS sedan. I've had my car for almost a month now and it is a lot of fun to drive, not to mention it has so many bells and whistles in it.

Like any other car guy I wash my car once a week regardless how dirty or clean it is. So far I've washed my new G three times since I've gotten it and each time the rear part of the sunroof has leaked water onto both front seats and the middle armrest. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, was the dealer able to fix the problem? Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look at how the sunroof is designed, there's a channel and lip all the way around that should let water drain away from the opening. If you're leaking, then maybe the drain is blocked allowing the water to overflow the channel. The dealer should be able to quickly diagnose and fix this.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
This is a warranty issue. It WILL be covered.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
bonbG37xSman

The dealer is trying to give the usual runaround. They keep telling me it's fine and it's normal for some water to leak in while going through a car wash. That is total BS - I've had 4 other cars (all with sunroofs) and none of them ever had this problem.

Any ideas how to get the dealer to fix the problem?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM
ridoor

tell them you will file a law suit
Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 AM
The Truth Hurts

I encountered same problem today while driving in pouring rain. I haven't tried it in a touchless car wash though. car is about 1.5mths old. I think I'll just wait until my September oil change and bring it up then. I've read some other forums, and apparently the EX35 seems to have big problems with this, but not so much the G37 (unlucky me).

Anyway, will keep you posted when September arrives what happened, and if the dealer was able or willing to address the issue.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM
SOLISIMO

Driving your G through a car wash is your first problem
Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM
The Truth Hurts

I'm not sure if you responding to the first poster, but in my case, I never drove my car through any car wash. I wash by hand only.

Sunroof was leaking with pouring rain. i would be interested to know if others have a similar problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by The Truth Hurts
I'm not sure if you responding to the first poster, but in my case, I never drove my car through any car wash. I wash by hand only.

Sunroof was leaking with pouring rain. i would be interested to know if others have a similar problem.
not you
Old 07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
Driving your G through a car wash is your first problem
There are drive through hand wash car washes you know! That's where I take my cars.

Anyway, water is obviously not normal to leak through the sunroof. That would ruin the seas and possible parts of the electrical system. I don't know why they would even say some stupid **** like that. That's possibly one of the dumbest things I've heard a dealer said to someone.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:22 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
There are drive through hand wash car washes you know! That's where I take my cars.

Anyway, water is obviously not normal to leak through the sunroof. That would ruin the seas and possible parts of the electrical system. I don't know why they would even say some stupid **** like that. That's possibly one of the dumbest things I've heard a dealer said to someone.
That is right up there with the Volvo service rep that told me it wasn't a Volvo if it didn't blow headlights, after I lost my third pair in 12 months on my 6 year old S80.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Truth Hurts

I'd like to know which dealer / service rep said that. I'd want to keep clear of them.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Are you sure the sunroof is fully closed?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM
The Truth Hurts

sunroof is for sure fully closed. 'lucky' for me, it the weather rained heavy on 2 separate occasions today, to allow me to do some observations. Once again, driving out in the rain, noted passenger side seat to accumulate a few drops. Unfortunately, didn't rain as hard as it did in the morning, so didn't get to experience the spray.

Immediately after noting the passenger seat having water spots on it, I felt around the inside of the sunroof and stuck my hands as far in the crevices of the sunroof, didn't feel any moisture at all. I am now wondering if the water is coming from the passenger door seals (the window and door was for sure closed tight). Once again though, feeling around the passenger door and window, couldn't identify any moisture.

I'm debating whether to take my car into a touchless car wash (not for the purposes of cleaning, b/c I've never done that due to fear of it eating the paint/wax alive), as I'm sure that will help me identify where the leak is coming from.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
That is right up there with the Volvo service rep that told me it wasn't a Volvo if it didn't blow headlights, after I lost my third pair in 12 months on my 6 year old S80.
That's usually due to an overcharging alternator.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash