G37 Sedan

Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creepers
if you don't think this is an infiniti issue, then why are they at the top of the list? and other car companies may have the problem too, but that does not absolve infiniti. no car should leak under any circumstances.
I am not saying that Infiniti does not have an issue. I am saying it is not JUST Infiniti that has this problem. Sounds like an overall design flaw somewhere. The issue may be more with the drain system for the sunroof.

This is from ehow.com
"Repairing a leaky sunroof usually leads to discovering that the sunroof is not the culprit of the leak. Instead dirt and debris may be the likely culprits since they obstruct the drainage tubes or the drain channel that are part of the sunroof's water management system. Once these are obstructed, the water backs up and heads for the nearest escape, which may be to the interior of your car. The following instructions are to help you repair a leaking car sun roof."
Read more: How to Repair a Leaking Car Sunroof | eHow.com How to Repair a Leaking Car Sunroof | eHow.com

From that I would say it appears that it is normal for a sunroof to leak a little. I can't think why else they would design a system to drain water.

I've learned a bit from this discussion. I know I never knew they had drain systems built into them.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 AM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So in regards to the original poster, I have a 2011 G37xS. Was the design of the sunroof any different between the 2 years? Is this a problem I could face as well? ALSO: will this problem be prevented if you just simply never open your sunroof? I haven't opened it since I bought it just because I fear of clogging the channels. Sunroofs are no big deal to me anyways.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:36 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Just keep it clean it will be fine. My 07 has never had any problems with it's sunroof ever,
Old 04-23-2016, 02:52 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ClassyPump
So in regards to the original poster, I have a 2011 G37xS. Was the design of the sunroof any different between the 2 years? Is this a problem I could face as well? ALSO: will this problem be prevented if you just simply never open your sunroof? I haven't opened it since I bought it just because I fear of clogging the channels. Sunroofs are no big deal to me anyways.
OPs question would be finishing up first grade if it were a kid.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. THIS THREAD WAS STARTED IN 2009 AND LAST POSTED IN DURING 2010. THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING TO BRING TO THE THREAD. HOW DID YOU EVEN FIND IT?

smh

Originally Posted by the_wolff
OPs question would be finishing up first grade if it were a kid.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RxRyanM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. THIS THREAD WAS STARTED IN 2009 AND LAST POSTED IN DURING 2010. THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING TO BRING TO THE THREAD. HOW DID YOU EVEN FIND IT?

smh

You're an idiot lol. So you're suggestion that I make whole new thread and spam the forum rather than posting in an older thread relating to the topic?

On a side note, I didn't realize cap locks was such a cool thing. I should try that sometime. Also, it's called the search function. I realize people like you don't know how to use it.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:52 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

You're an idiot lol. So you're suggestion that I make whole new thread and spam the forum rather than posting in an older thread relating to the topic?

On a side note, I didn't realize cap locks was such a cool thing. I should try that sometime. Also, it's called the search function. I realize people like you don't know how to use it.
Name calling. Super mature. Ps, it's *your*.

My suggestion is that you don't post on the topic. If you aren't having the same problem (to which your first post doesn't allude) and aren't offering a solution (which you weren't, and it would've been a moot point if you were as the OP hasn't been active since 09/23/09), there's no point in posting. Don't worry about a problem that may or may not come up and just enjoy your car.

Caps lock is the coolest thing. You'll figure it out eventually.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:57 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RxRyanM
Name calling. Super mature. Ps, it's *your*.

My suggestion is that you don't post on the topic. If you aren't having the same problem (to which your first post doesn't allude) and aren't offering a solution (which you weren't, and it would've been a moot point if you were as the OP hasn't been active since 09/23/09), there's no point in posting. Don't worry about a problem that may or may not come up and just enjoy your car.

Caps lock is the coolest thing. You'll figure it out eventually.
Are you seriously this stupid or am I being trolled? "Your" is showing ownership. "You're" refers to "You are". How can someone be this idiotic? This thread is regarding sunroof leaking which isn't that rare of a problem with the G. That being said, why would I use my sunroof to have a soaking wet interior smelling like mildew? I WANT to be able to use it, but not without knowing if it's as big of an issue as I saw in a lot of videos. You're pointless to this thread because you aren't being productive in any way, shape or form besides bumping this thread more and more. I suggest to you that you obtain grammar lessons. Numbskull.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

In fairness, it's a pretty rare problem if we only find ourselves talking about it every 6 or 7 years.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:17 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Are you seriously this stupid or am I being trolled? "Your" is showing ownership. "You're" refers to "You are". How can someone be this idiotic? This thread is regarding sunroof leaking which isn't that rare of a problem with the G. That being said, why would I use my sunroof to have a soaking wet interior smelling like mildew? I WANT to be able to use it, but not without knowing if it's as big of an issue as I saw in a lot of videos. You're pointless to this thread because you aren't being productive in any way, shape or form besides bumping this thread more and more. I suggest to you that you obtain grammar lessons. Numbskull.

Absolute comedy. Your stand-up show must do really well.

THEN USE IT. If it happens, it happens. It obviously must not happen that often/be that big of a concern if this is the only thread you found.

Night-night.

Last edited by RxRyanM; 04-25-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 AM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the_wolff
In fairness, it's a pretty rare problem if we only find ourselves talking about it every 6 or 7 years.
So many asshats in this forum, lol.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

About 2 of those are sunroofs. The majority are A/C intakes getting water in them. If you'd read them, you'd know.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:19 PM
orangefro868

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many asshats in this forum, lol.

ROFL I hope there is some elaborate trolling going on.

Automotive water leaks are not rare in any brand of car. The culprit can be simple as drainage clogs or major things like frame damage. I PERSONALLY dealt with the dreaded water leak. This year, I went back and forth to the dealership for months. I heard sunroof seal, and dont park under trees because of drain clog, i heard A/C clog, then A/C coil crack, windshield seal. I held my breath every time it rained, hoping the latest remedy was the true fix for my leak. In the end i got mad and they kept the car for a week. The dealership had to remove the dash in order to access a small piece of plastic that was warped. This piece let water at the firewall come thru a spot where the sunroof drains expel to the outside.

I would like to apologize for RxRyanM and the_wolff being *****. Your concerns are valid since your car nor mine existed in 2010 when this thread was last accessed. I understand this is 2016 and your 2011 would be out of warranty. Your are allowed to fear the small chance something could happen to your sexy pre-loved G37xS. Dont glue your sunroof shut! You can actually pour water directly into the channels to check if they are clogged.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Originally Posted by orangefro868
ROFL I hope there is some elaborate trolling going on.

Automotive water leaks are not rare in any brand of car. The culprit can be simple as drainage clogs or major things like frame damage. I PERSONALLY dealt with the dreaded water leak. This year, I went back and forth to the dealership for months. I heard sunroof seal, and dont park under trees because of drain clog, i heard A/C clog, then A/C coil crack, windshield seal. I held my breath every time it rained, hoping the latest remedy was the true fix for my leak. In the end i got mad and they kept the car for a week. The dealership had to remove the dash in order to access a small piece of plastic that was warped. This piece let water at the firewall come thru a spot where the sunroof drains expel to the outside.

I would like to apologize for RxRyanM and the_wolff being *****. Your concerns are valid since your car nor mine existed in 2010 when this thread was last accessed. I understand this is 2016 and your 2011 would be out of warranty. Your are allowed to fear the small chance something could happen to your sexy pre-loved G37xS. Dont glue your sunroof shut! You can actually pour water directly into the channels to check if they are clogged.
Finally. A well-written reply. Only you and iCrap wrote something worth reading. It's funny. If I were to make a whole new thread regarding the leak issue, I'd at least get one reply stating "There's a search function for a reason. There's many other threads regarding this same issue. Instead of spamming the forums with the same thread, post in an already existing one."

I appreciate your reply and that's the whole situation I definitely won't want to experience. Seeing as some people stated their troubles (forums, YouTube, ect) I'll probably pass on using the sunroof except maybe on rare occasions. I don't want to have to worry about it raining everytime, or what one person mentioned, that they have to park either flat or at an incline because if they parked at a decline during rain, water would drenche the whole interior and smell like mildew. Love Infiniti, but that's a lame issue whether it's sunroof related or not.