G37 Sedan

Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious, what do the people who say it's leaking call leaking?

When I got my '07 G35S, I noted the same type of thing, when I'm in the touchless car wash, I felt water landing on me. It's more like an occasionally misting/drizzle drop on me type of feeling. I went to the dealer a ton of times to complain and they kept on saying this is normal. They also showed me the run off channels for handling the water, and so whenever I went through the wash, I noticed those were wet.

BUT, I never had large amounts (or any serious amount of water) leak/drip anywhere in the car except for by the run off channels, and of course the mist/drizzle feeling in the car.

Up until this point, I didn't believe them and was pissed because neither my previous cars (integra GS-R or IS300) or my wife's old '01 Sentra ever exhibited this problem, but since I've had that happen my in my G, I've noticed the exact same thing in my wife's '07 subaru forester, and in my '10 G37xS and in a friend's '09 or '08 civic when we've been through the wash.

I've also mentioned the phenomenon to other co-workers who've all seen the same in their newer vehicles across a whole swath of different manufacturers.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dopey
I'm curious, what do the people who say it's leaking call leaking?
For me it's a few drops that come in. Everyone I know has the same thing happen to them, as long as it's not dripping when it rains or water's pouring in when you take it to a carwash then you're OK.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
ged1067

I had my previous car, VW passat, for 8 years and never developed a leak under any conditions including a hurricane!

Sorry fellas...should not happen!

GED
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i drove thru a tornado watch yesterday, with conditions way more severe than the harshest car wash, and not a single drop nor any mist. it shouldn't leak, period.

none of my previous cars have leaked.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM
xBLACKMAM8Ax

Originally Posted by bonbG37xSman
Hey all,

I'm a new and proud owner of an '09 G37xS sedan. I've had my car for almost a month now and it is a lot of fun to drive, not to mention it has so many bells and whistles in it.

Like any other car guy I wash my car once a week regardless how dirty or clean it is. So far I've washed my new G three times since I've gotten it and each time the rear part of the sunroof has leaked water onto both front seats and the middle armrest. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, was the dealer able to fix the problem? Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Why would you take your G thru a car wash? However, your car shouldn't be leaking nonetheless. Dealership will cover this but PLEASE stop taking you car thru the carwash!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
KLB

No storm is going to simulate a touchless car wash. Touchless car washes are generally using high pressure nozzles spraying directly down onto the car from a relatively short distance. Depending upon how high the water pressure is and how close it is to your car, it can pretty easily push the sunroof down enough to let a little water in.
I wonder if the ones that did not let any water in opened up and out of the car rather than down into the car.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The car's manual does specifically say not to use high pressure washers.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
esanger

My wife has a 2001 suburban with a moon roof and uses the car wash almost weekly and has never had a drop enter the vehicle (or trust me I would have heard about it). I agree, this is an Infiniti issue that they need to deal with and by ignoring it is just pis# poor service. Personally, if I could I would get the car without the moonroof. I never liked them but it seems you can't get the car with all the bells and whistles I want without getting it..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 PM
KLB

If you think this is an Infiniti issue, try doing a search for Sunroof leak touchless carwash.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Creepers

Originally Posted by KLB
If you think this is an Infiniti issue, try doing a search for Sunroof leak touchless carwash.

so i did what you said and looked it up on google, and lo and behold, the first result was:

"Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash - Page 3 - MyG37"

and the second one was:

"Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash - MyG37"

and the fourth one was:

"Infiniti FX Owners Forum (The Org) • View topic - Moonroof leak ..."

just sayin...
Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
breaker05

Holy Crap, I thought I was the only one, but seeing this thread I am beginning to think it is an Infiniti problem. I have a new 2010 Anniversary G and today it was storming like crazy in NC and I felt water dripping on my arm laying on the center arm rest.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Creepers

^^ sux man. maybe you should go to the dealer and tell them to fix that.

i drove through a tornado watch 2 days ago that was so severe most people pulled over, and the rest were driving at less than 10 mph on the highway. i couldn't see anything past 5 feet away, it was that torrential. yet not one drop from the sunroof.

now i have panel issues with infiniti but that's another thread...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Creepers
so i did what you said and looked it up on google, and lo and behold, the first result was:

"Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash - Page 3 - MyG37"

and the second one was:

"Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash - MyG37"

and the fourth one was:

"Infiniti FX Owners Forum (The Org) • View topic - Moonroof leak ..."

just sayin...
And there was one for Ford, Chevy, Toyota, GM Trucks, Jeep, etc.

So its' obviously just Infiniti that has the problem.

Not to mention the first two on your list are the same thread, this one.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Creepers

Originally Posted by KLB

if you don't think this is an infiniti issue, then why are they at the top of the list? and other car companies may have the problem too, but that does not absolve infiniti. no car should leak under any circumstances.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
stratos

Guys,

If the dealerships and Infiniti give you the 'it's normal' argument, document this AND the leak in a youtube video, post the link to the video to the various Infiniti forums, and watch Infiniti scramble to douse the fire.

They are trying to save every penny they can. You on the other hand need to be ruthless in order to be heard. It is NOT normal to have water in the car just by going through a carwash. Talk to the carwash owner and see what HE says about it :P

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash