G37 Sedan

Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Mike P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you mean you cannot tell from the inside. I always use that and I can always tell when it is open. This sunroof works like every other one ever did. I left me roof all the way back and it rained. My car smelled like mold until the day a got ride of it and that sucked. If that happens, your car is toast! Get the delearship to fix the problem.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
bonbG37xSman

So Infiniti Corporate called me back and said there is nothing more they can do. The Regional Rep said that it is not a warranty issue anymore since the sunroof is functioning properly and it is normal for some water to leak in under high pressure.

I could not yell at him anymore than I did but he did not budge and said Infiniti will not do anything more for me.

At this point I don't want the car anymore! I am so angry at the dealer and Infiniti Corporate and DO NOT want to deal with either anymore nor own another Infiniti/Nissan product!

Any ideas how I can get rid of the car and get the majority of my money back? I just want my money back and go purchase my previous type of car...a darn good BMW!!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 PM
SOLISIMO

Ohhh well, I wash my car with a hose BMW's I will never drive
Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
netmag

Originally Posted by bonbG37xSman
So Infiniti Corporate called me back and said there is nothing more they can do. The Regional Rep said that it is not a warranty issue anymore since the sunroof is functioning properly and it is normal for some water to leak in under high pressure.

I could not yell at him anymore than I did but he did not budge and said Infiniti will not do anything more for me.

At this point I don't want the car anymore! I am so angry at the dealer and Infiniti Corporate and DO NOT want to deal with either anymore nor own another Infiniti/Nissan product!

Any ideas how I can get rid of the car and get the majority of my money back? I just want my money back and go purchase my previous type of car...a darn good BMW!!
I can't believe they would actually say it was normal for water to leak in after a car wash. Does it only happen at a car wash or does it also happen when you wash it at home? What about rain? Any issues there?

I would tell them that if most other G owners can wash their car at a car wash then you have a right to expect that your G should be able to as well. Unless they can claim that no G owners with a sunroof can drive their cars through a standard car wash then you expect them to fix your sunroof or take the car back.

Seriously, what if you take your car to an Infiniti dealership that has a car wash and they want to wash it after service? Are they all aware that G's with a sunroof should never be put through their car washes? Is that an official policy for all Infiniti dealers? Because unless that's what they're saying, then it must just be specific to your G and in that case they need to fix it since you paid the same price as everyone else for it. If they don't want to be bothered then let them know that you'd be satisfied if they would buy your "unique", leaky G back then. Tell them, thanks but no thanks for the "special edition", leaky G.

On the flip side though, it could also depend on when the leaks happen (i.e. only at specific car wash?, multiple car washes?, when you wash it at home?, Even when it rains?).

For example, if they do have a car wash and did test it and it came out fine, then maybe there might be something odd about your local car wash. If that's the only place where it leaked and you might want to try a different place.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM
bmcdaniels

I would contact your state's attoney general's office and file a consumer complaint, along with contacting the local television stations to see if they might intervene as part of a consumer fraud segment. I've done this in the past and it was amazing how quickly the company I was dealing with had a change of heart.

Bottom line: If your sunroof is leaking, it is a defect, and needs to be fixed!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd get it repaired / adjusted by a pro and then send Infiniti the bill. A leaking sunroof on a new car IMHO would be a slam dunk in small claims court if need be.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
The Truth Hurts

BonbG37xSMan. Maybe you could ask the Regional Rep for that statement regarding normal for sunroof to leak under high pressure, IN WRITING. It's one thing for him to make that statement verbally, but if he isn't willing to put it IN WRITING, that's another story (ie. fear you will make it somewhat public, etc).
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^good idea.

Exchange emails with him to have it in writing or ask specifically in writing so he'll think twice before giving you the excuse that leakage is normal

But I would not get any work done by a third-party shop because Infiniti can then void your warranty because it's been touched by someone else. Leave the problem be and fight fight fight!

Last edited by ucla bruin; 08-17-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 PM
netmag

Originally Posted by The Truth Hurts
BonbG37xSMan. Maybe you could ask the Regional Rep for that statement regarding normal for sunroof to leak under high pressure, IN WRITING. It's one thing for him to make that statement verbally, but if he isn't willing to put it IN WRITING, that's another story (ie. fear you will make it somewhat public, etc).
This is a good idea. Make them put these ridiculous statements in writing. Then someone will be forced to consult one of their corporate lawyers, get themselves schooled, and maybe come back with a better response. If they refuse to give an official response, then tell them they need to give you a date when you can take your car in and get it fixed. They need to do something one way or the other. Either give you an official written response to the issue that includes their silly conclusion or fix it.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
sg37

Hi all,

Out of my curiousity I took my car to touchless car wash this morning.
I can feel the sprinkle for one or two second inside the car and for sure it's wet on the rear side of the sunroof.

So far we haven't got heavy rain so it's fine under normal rain.
Only with high pressure car wash the water went through the seals and everything.

Any update for this guys?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:27 PM
bonbG37xSman

No update as of now.

I'm still battling with Infiniti Corporate and my dealership. I have taken my car to 2 dealerships now and they both say they don't experience the leak and the sunroof is fine. I took one of the dealer's people through my car wash to show them how the sunroof leaks. From there he filed a report and is currently waiting to hear back from his Infiniti Rep as to how to proceed with this issue.

I am also dealing with Infiniti Corporate myself. I have made it very clear to them that for this car to leak in a car wash is TOTALLY unacceptable. It's not "normal" as they put it and I did not spend the money I did for my car to leak every week in the car wash. My file has been submitted to their arbitration committe and is currently being reviewed for repurchase.

On a side note, this problem had a service bulliten for 2008, which shows me it is a problem and not normal. Also, I heard there was a lawsuit filed with Infiniti regarding this same problem. If either of those bits of info helps anyone...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 AM
jamesyoon

post a video on youtube. simple description on the side, G37 Sedan Moonroof issue. Write your problem and issues and tell them that the specific dealerships are refusing to repair them because it's "normal" for a moonroof to leak. my honda accord never leaked lol and i park that bad **** outside even in heavy severe california acidic rain
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM
The Truth Hurts

I got my moonroof replaced. Prior to getting it done, I took it thru the touchless car wash, and no water leaked through anyways.

Moonroof replaced, and checked it again in the touchless car wash again, no leaks still (so at least the replacement didn't seem to make things worse).

Now I'm just waiting for crazy amounts of rain to see if it leaks again.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 PM
CARDINAL FAN

I purchased a 2010 G37 a couple of weeks ago and when I ran my car (unknowingly of the problem) through a touchless car wash, it leaked as well. When talking to the service manager at the Memphis dealership he said the same routine about it is normal and that his wife even has a Mercedes that does the same thing. He also stated the line about the owners manual even stating that it is normal for the moonroof to leak. I'm going to do what someone else suggested earlier about taking the manual in and letting him show me where it states that in the manual so I can see the look on his face when he fails to show it to me. After that I am going up the ladder to a regional manager and then maybe the local TV affiliates here in Memphis to consumer affairs to see what that might produce for me.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every car I've had with a sunroof/moonroof has leaked a little bit in touchless car washes. It's just a sprinkle or two but it's to be expected. When washing the car by hand or in a heavy down pour there's no leaking so it's not a concern for me.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak When Going Through Car Wash