Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
+1

Sedan for me....
Old 05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Mike I would have to disagree that the 5AT Sedan always wins. At the track I have seen different- both on par with eachother. Mag racers will also attest that both have achieved the same 1/4 miles results when you look at the best results for the Sedan vs the best results for the Coupe pre '09. there is no argument however that the 09 + model sedans are quicker.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Mike

Hmm... Well, I guess, technically, the 5AT sedan does better at lower speeds, but at 80+, the coupe will creep away. They do trap higher...

I stand corrected
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Mr_Ryte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kkokko
speed + trunk space + convenience of 4 door + family oriented

vs

sexy beast 2 door coupe that screams I don't have kids =P

Yep...that pretty much sums it in a practical sense.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte

Yep...that pretty much sums it in a practical sense.
To me that's the BIGGEST factor for that decision = LOOKS, since the fact that you're getting a G = reliability + cost + performance in both versions.

Now do you want practical or do you want looks?

Coupe = not so practical, but gives the appearance of a more sporty, bachelor look.

Sedan = best of both worlds, practicality, can put a baby seat in the back, have the performance of the G, reliability and cost but suffer the looks...=P

Based on what everyone is saying, performance straight line, and handling they are up to par... I doubt you will regret getting either.. besides you could always add aftermarket as mentioned before...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Personally, if I was going 4 door, I would've gotten a IS350, 3Series, the G Sedan isn't my cup of tea in terms of appearance.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Herkypilot

I think it depends on how you want to drive and what type of utility you need. If you like sporty driving every once in awhile and need back seats then sedan is the way to go. It will take care of any itch you may have to carve up the twisties or give you a good hwy ride for the long distance.

If you like zooming it up all the time and don't need back seats then get a coupe.

Third choice - get a sedan and another car like a Shelby Cobra for when you really need to hit it!

Herkypilot
Attached Thumbnails Sedan performance vs coupe-finish-1.jpg   Sedan performance vs coupe-finish-2.jpg  
Old 05-23-2009, 03:38 AM
manta888

Hi, thanks to all for your inputs, very much appreciated.
special thanks for your specifics. I'm not an "experienced skilled performance"driver. Looking to start some track time.
In general, it seems like the coupe is more sports oriented, and the low center gravity favors this. (I felt it was faster, but it could be b/c I'm lower and it was louder)
Sedan, is a little more conservative and higher center of gravity results in more lean. (higher seating and lower engine tone felt like it was alot slower).
Granted, if both have same steering ratio, chassis setup, and engine,(is this correct?) ;;; then the difference would be b/c of the bulk and height of the sedan vs the shorter stature and slight increased weight of the coupe. (Is this correct conclusion?)
I plan to get some active dampening coilovers (tanaka vs tein?) + sway bars which should compensate for the sedan handling deficits. ( 3K less in price would pay for this)
But yeh, the coupe looks alot better, really like it with a Veilside big spoiler (350z)
Thanks everyone, (please correct any wrong assumptions I may have)
a G 2 B

Last edited by manta888; 05-23-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Mike

roughly speaking, sedan's sport suspension is similar in stiffness to a coupe's standard suspension.

If you're going to get coils, then the suspension doesnt matter. The VLSD is decent, but a real LSD will be better if you're tracking. Same with the BBK. If you're gonna get your own, then don't bother with the sport package. Otherwise, the factory BBK will do perfect with just track-spec pads.

As far as a spoiler goes, if you're tracking and looking for function, I'd suggest something that has a proven performance gain in stead of aesthetics, such as a Voltex or APR. The factory spoiler doesn't provide downforce; it actually streamlines the car for better high-end acceleration, and zero-lift.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Mr_Ryte

Originally Posted by manta888
I'm not an "experienced skilled performance"driver. Looking to start some track time.
In general, it seems like the coupe is more sports oriented, and the low center gravity favors this. (I felt it was faster, but it could be b/c I'm lower and it was louder)
Sedan, is a little more conservative and higher center of gravity results in more lean. (higher seating and lower engine tone felt like it was alot slower).
Granted, if both have same steering ratio, chassis setup, and engine,(is this correct?) ;;; then the difference would be b/c of the bulk and height of the sedan vs the shorter stature and slight increased weight of the coupe. (Is this correct conclusion?)
I plan to get some active dampening coilovers (tanaka vs tein?) + sway bars which should compensate for the sedan handling deficits. ( 3K less in price would pay for this)
a G 2 B
Let's start by asking this: do you have a family or plan on starting one anytime soon? If you plan on being single for a while (for the time that you plan on owning or leasing your G) or can afford more than one vehicle then I say get the coupe.

As for mods; you can always improve a vehicle's performance to some degree but you can't simply "make a 2-door into a 4-door whenever the need arises."
Old 05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately (car was in the shop several times during the course of a 3 month period) I’ve had some major seat time behind the wheel of the sedan to compare with my coupe. The sedans (I’ve driven the rwd and the x, both swapped at different intervals) ‘feels’ substantially lighter than the coupe. In both instances the throttle tip in is fairly aggressive which give the ‘impression’ of initial speed. Personally I hated this calibration because it made smooth stop and go city driving a pain.
Secondly the there is a lot more body roll in the sedan (non sport in every instance) than in my coupe, also more than I remembered in the non sport coupes as well. (this is from my memory of test drives with the non sport coupes). The sedan also provide a lot more compliance over NYC port (not pot holes as they’re just too big to be pot holes LOL).
In terms of overall performance though the sedan is a very capable performer and mid range punch is IMO superior to the coupes, in the twistes the body doesn’t transition at speed as well as the coupe and it does not like sideways tail out driving as much as the coupe either. The steering seems to be tuned with less resistance along with the higher center of grav, the softer suspension and steering for me at least adds up to an experience that is less connected than the coupes. This is not a bad thing as their missions are different so I think that the purchaser should set their expectations accordingly.
If you need a back seat then obiviously the sedan wins hands down but if not then do yourself a favor and buy a coupe it’s a life altering experience. Hope this helped somewhat.
These comparisons are made with the G35 and G35x sedans and the 08G37, so the newer models may drive differently.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:56 AM
gthal

I have driven many sedans. I find they feel far less sporty and aggressive. This is not necessarily a bad thing just different. Also the exhaust end engine sound is FAR quieter and less aggressive. This really makes the coupe fun to drive. Overall, I would say the sedan is 75% luxury and 25% sport. The coupe is 50/50 sport and luxury. If you need 4 doors the sedan is a great option. If not, the coupe is the way to go. I have 2 kids and the coupe. My wife has a practical car and I drive the sporty car. When I want to take the kids, the coupe works fine albeit less convenient.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:59 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Fortunately or unfortunately (car was in the shop several times during the course of a 3 month period) I’ve had some major seat time behind the wheel of the sedan to compare with my coupe. The sedans (I’ve driven the rwd and the x, both swapped at different intervals) ‘feels’ substantially lighter than the coupe. In both instances the throttle tip in is fairly aggressive which give the ‘impression’ of initial speed. Personally I hated this calibration because it made smooth stop and go city driving a pain.
Secondly the there is a lot more body roll in the sedan (non sport in every instance) than in my coupe, also more than I remembered in the non sport coupes as well. (this is from my memory of test drives with the non sport coupes). The sedan also provide a lot more compliance over NYC port (not pot holes as they’re just too big to be pot holes LOL).
In terms of overall performance though the sedan is a very capable performer and mid range punch is IMO superior to the coupes, in the twistes the body doesn’t transition at speed as well as the coupe and it does not like sideways tail out driving as much as the coupe either. The steering seems to be tuned with less resistance along with the higher center of grav, the softer suspension and steering for me at least adds up to an experience that is less connected than the coupes. This is not a bad thing as their missions are different so I think that the purchaser should set their expectations accordingly.
If you need a back seat then obiviously the sedan wins hands down but if not then do yourself a favor and buy a coupe it’s a life altering experience. Hope this helped somewhat.
These comparisons are made with the G35 and G35x sedans and the 08G37, so the newer models may drive differently.
my '08 G37s coupe does handle the NYC portholes a lot better than the 1st gen 2006 g35 sedan i had...

but the sedan is well mannered for every day family driving.