G37 Sedan

Speed sensing wipers -- what am I not understanding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
drjspecv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like we have a lot of variance on this issue. I have loved the wipers from day one, they have always done a great job for me and the speed sensing feature has been great.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
drj...

so you see a big difference in the wiper speed from a stop --> slow speed --> fast speeds --> highway speeds??

What setting do you leave the wiper stalk on .. and what setting do you leave the interval setting on?

thx
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
drjspecv

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
drj...

so you see a big difference in the wiper speed from a stop --> slow speed --> fast speeds --> highway speeds??

What setting do you leave the wiper stalk on .. and what setting do you leave the interval setting on?

thx
The biggest difference that I notice is when you go from a stop to fast and highway speeds. I love the feature on my drive to work because there are occasional lights but between the lights the speed varies up to 45-50mph.

The wiper stock moves once (one click) to engage the intermittent setting and then on the interval its usually between 1/3 and 1/2. I sometimes play with the interval setting as the rain pockets changes. I prefer to set it while at the lights to get the right setting and then when I start to move I don't even have to think about it again.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by drjspecv
Looks like we have a lot of variance on this issue. I have loved the wipers from day one, they have always done a great job for me and the speed sensing feature has been great.
We definitely vary. My wipers have been horrible. I replaced the original blades two weeks after getting the car because they left lines of water as they wiped. I am starting to think the blades are hitting something, because I think my new Bosch Blade is starting to do it now too.

They also do not go all the way to the edge of the windshield on the drivers side. There is a good 3 - 4 inches of windshield that does not get wiped. When I was on the highway during a moderately heavy rain, the water started pooling there, making it hard to see to the left at times. I've considered taking it back to the dealer to see if they can adjust them, but it is a 60 mile drive, that I do not want to have to make.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I know not everyone is a fan of Rain-x, I live by this stuff and always apply it to my windshields. It will address the far left area of the windshield as well as keep the wiped areas clearer especially during heavy rain.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I will share something with you that I have learned that helps the situation immensely. If you haven't done so already, use a clay bar on ALL your exterior glass. It's amazing what you will pull off if the surface. You will definitely notice the difference in the feel of the glass. After that I have used a couple of different quick detail sprays and have found that it works better than RainX IMO. I have used PBW Spray & Gloss and Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray. Doing this will cause water to bead and roll off of the glass more quickly just like on waxed paint rather than to sheet making your wipers much more effective. The S&G seems to last much longer.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I will share something with you that I have learned that helps the situation immensely. If you haven't done so already, use a clay bar on ALL your exterior glass. It's amazing what you will pull off if the surface. You will definitely notice the difference in the feel of the glass. After that I have used a couple of different quick detail sprays and have found that it works better than RainX IMO. I have used PBW Spray & Gloss and Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray. Doing this will cause water to bead and roll off of the glass more quickly just like on waxed paint rather than to sheet making your wipers much more effective. The S&G seems to last much longer.
Interesting idea. I was thinking about claying my windshield this weekend anyway. Something got on there that won't come off with the wipers and washerfluid or when wiped.

I'll give the Optimum Instand Detailer I have a try.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You're right. I've used Zaino Quick Detailer on glass and it works well.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Just remember to clay the hell out of it first for best results. It makes the glass so smooth
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Herkypilot
My wipers were streaking badly from the factory. The dealer said they'd replace them for free up to 10K miles.

Mine too. It's streaking one way. It's weird. it cleans good going left, but streaks going right ( driver side). I will get a replacement when I go in for 1st oil change.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesnt work anyways
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I clay'd my windshield and all glass when I got the car and was amazed what came off. Right after doing the clay and cleaning the glass, I hit it with Aquapel, which is basically the same thing as rain-x. I've had the car almost 2 years and have used the wipers maybe 2 times. I did my initial application of Aquapel and havent had to do anything since.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Deutch194

Anyone have any experience with this:

Rain Tracker Rain Sensing Windshield Wiper Controls

It's an add on rain sensing wiper system. I've been thinking about adding it but didn't want to make the purchase if it has already been verified as being junk.

Also what clay bar do you guys recommend/prefer?

BTW, aquapel is good stuff!

edit: Damn, just realized this was my first post. Member for almost 6 years and never posted...
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Fespy09

I have tried the selector in every conceivable setting and now believe the speed sensing function is just like the buttons on light poles at intersections that you are supposed to press when you want to cross.

You are never sure when or if it works.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

^ agree. i never even heard of this till now.

Quick Reply: Speed sensing wipers -- what am I not understanding?