G37 Sedan

Am I crazy for thinking the G37XS Sedan is too slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the same boat. I want an S RWD 7AT sedan but there arent any in the Northeast unless ou want to pay extra for the locate with is already on top of not so good lease rates.

If you look at the numbers the X and Xs are alot slower. I think half a second to 60 is enough to feel. But in real life I drove an couple of 08 G37 coupes that just did not feel fast at all (one auto and one manual) and I drove an 09 X sedan that also felt kind of slugish. Then I drove another 08X sedan that felt like a rocket so go figure.

It seems to me each G is a little different so drive it and see for yourself. If u like the feel, who cares about the t3 enths of a second. But in my case I am stuck with an AWD casue there just arent any auto RWD cars to chose from. Cant even test drive a RWD.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM
brynomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealers in Northern regions do not order RWD. They mostly order AWD because they sell better with almost no competition in this market and economy.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 AM
GEE35FX

Mike, for crying out loud, you have been waiting all this time for a 6MT G37 Sedan . That is what you wanted, don't get your second choice on the rebound. You will probably regret it later.

The X is a fantastic car. It is my favourite and my choice. I have driven both and I prefer it for many reasons and the main one is it's awesome capabilities in inclement weather. But that is what I want.

Get what you really want. You are paying a $hitload of money here, don't get your second choice.The Dealership failed to deliver the goods to you after your long wait, stay on them make them make it up to you and get your 6MT G37 Sedan with all the options you wanted.

Mike I am not trying to talk you out of a G37XS, that would be my choice, but the point being, get what you really want

Last edited by GEE35FX; 04-18-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too late Wayne.....my 09 G37XS is in front of the house. As you were posting...I was picking the car up.

Honestly...I love it. Its fast....any car that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds is fast...by just about anyone's standard.

The awd will be great too...Buffalo has ****ty weather in the winter.

I'm VERY happy with it...pics to come.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
GEE35FX

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Too late Wayne.....my 09 G37XS is in front of the house. As you were posting...I was picking the car up.

Honestly...I love it. Its fast....any car that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds is fast...by just about anyone's standard.

The awd will be great too...Buffalo has ****ty weather in the winter.

I'm VERY happy with it...pics to come.
Haha that's awesome Mike. As I said in my previous post, that would be my choice. I loved my X enough to get a second one, I know you will love it, especially when (dread the thought) the white stuff returns.

Congratulations and I look forward to your pics.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Alex57r

I see some of you guys have settled for a G37XS, but I am still not sure. One thing is if I was getting a great deal (lease), but I am not, so if I cannot get a RWD, I really don't know what to do.

The 0-60 time is proly not that big a deal (0.5 seconds is enough to notice but not a deal breaker for me) but the feel of a heavier car with smaller brakes and a less even weight distribution + slower response time in a small car that's all about being sporty... I don't know. Here in NY we get snow 3-4 days a year and a RWD can handle it with decent tires.

Mike, what is your experiance with the XS after you got it? Would you do it over again? Is it a bit heavy and slugish?

Did anyone else settle for an X when they wanted an S? What are your thoughts?

I love the G but this Xs thing is making me think that after 2 months of being unable to get a RWD (let alone at a good deal) I might need to start looking elsewhere..
Old 04-19-2009, 12:33 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
alex, as we spoke before there is no other car in the lease category that you'll be happy w/ than the G37xS
Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Wait what? That doesn't make sense. A tractor is about 15,000 lbs not 3,000 lbs. Secondly acceleration is a change in velocity and direction over time, thirdly horsepower is a function of torque.
Code:

Torque * RPM

Horsepower      =       ------------

If you were to somehow magically give a G37 eninge the same power as big rig's and adjust the gearing accordingly you bet it would destroy everyone in acceleration. However, cars with more HP would be able to achieve higher speeds.

Basically torque gets you going and HP keeps you there. Gearing also plays a big role as it determines the torque delivered to the wheels.

Look at the W211 E55 vs the W211 E63. They're basically the same car except for the engine and transmission. However, the E55 has a broader torque range and more torque whereas the E63 has more horsepower. The E55 beats the E63 off the line however, the E63 will catch up and pass it. Even crusiing at 55 - 65 MPH the E55 will still initally pull ahead of the E63 but then the E63 will pass it. That's because the E55 has the acceleration advantage with more torque but at higher speeds the horsepower of the E63 wins out.
A typical big rig only puts out about 300hp.

The difference is they actually USE significantly more of their available peak output, while a car only uses a fraction.

Torque is meaningless by itself.

Horsepower is what matters (area under the hp curve if you want to get technical).

Torque can modify this area, but of course, most people are concerned with the peak output.

If you give me the hp, weight, and drivetrain of a car, I can probably guess a 1/4 mile time within a pretty tight margin.

If you give me the torque, weight, and drivetrain of a car, I wouldn't have a clue.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Bluesmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
I see some of you guys have settled for a G37XS, but I am still not sure. One thing is if I was getting a great deal (lease), but I am not, so if I cannot get a RWD, I really don't know what to do.

The 0-60 time is proly not that big a deal (0.5 seconds is enough to notice but not a deal breaker for me) but the feel of a heavier car with smaller brakes and a less even weight distribution + slower response time in a small car that's all about being sporty... I don't know. Here in NY we get snow 3-4 days a year and a RWD can handle it with decent tires.

Mike, what is your experiance with the XS after you got it? Would you do it over again? Is it a bit heavy and slugish?

Did anyone else settle for an X when they wanted an S? What are your thoughts?

I love the G but this Xs thing is making me think that after 2 months of being unable to get a RWD (let alone at a good deal) I might need to start looking elsewhere..
I couldn't find a non-X anywhere near here (Ohio) without paying a bunch more for transport. I think my X is plenty quick enough and certainly fine for any normal situation on public roads. I wish it had the bigger brake package, but I can retrofit that if necessary along with bigger wheels and tires. But, if what you want is fast, buy an Evo or STI...I've had 3 Evos and 1 STI. Great track cars but lousy daily drivers, at least for this old man.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Alex57r

Yes Kenny, it looks like you are right... I guess I will have to settle for an XS. Oh well....
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
alex,

don't look at is at you are settling for a bad car. there's a lot of potential in the G37xS and obviously against what other cars you are looking at for the price point. call me if u want to come by. i just saw igor the other day anyways
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Alex57r

Question Xs Specs

Yeh I guess you are right. I will call you this week.

So let me get this straight....

The XS is 200lbs heavier than the S, 0.4 seconds slower than the S, but is still in the 13s somewhere in the quarter. In addition it has:

No Coupe brakes.

No Coupe faster Steering???

No Sport Suspension.

No Staggered rims or Bridgestones

But Still has:

Paddles, the ugly new 18s and sport seats.

Do I have all that right? So the only real downside is slightly slower response to throttle input in exchange for being able to get around in the snow?

I drove yet another X and surprisingly this particular one was not bad at all. Is it possible for 2 exactly the same cars respond differntly to throttle (the Monday effect?)

Thanks Kenny or other knowlegable folks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
YES, but as the owner of a new 09 G37xS, let me throw some .02 cents in.

1. Its still way fast. Some people will come on here and say 5.4 or 5.5 seconds to 60 is not fast. Yes it is. By the standard of 95% of drivers out there....sub six seconds to 60 is way fast. AND its well below 6 seconds.

2. The coupe brakes look awesome and probably perform great, but with the engine breaking of the auto at lower speeds she stops on a dime. I'm not tracking or autocrossing the car.

3. Faster steering...its not like this is an additional part you're getting...its just tuning a part differently. I'm not sure I want it to steer faster. It drives fine...turns great..tigher turning than my 06 Altima...no love lost there on the steering speed vs. RWD model.

4. No sport suspension...I dunno..after crashing over bumps in my ALtima SE-R...I'm enjoying the ride. The standard suspension seems to hold fine.

5. A. Staggered rims and bridgestones. Well..staggered rims means no rotating. Tires don't wear evenly (front vs. rear) so you're probably "dealing" with tire issues more often...Like...Oh...I need two fronts.

B. I'm sick of summer tires. Yes...I said it. They're louder, more expensive, ride harder and aren't good in places that go below 40 degrees (like half the country).

I'm happy with my Auto X. I'm looking at some mods to erase the speed difference too. I think I can do it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
GEE35FX

Well said Mike^^^^^
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Alex57r

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your input. You make good logical points but I guess reasonable people can agree or disagree on a few of them.

I agree with you about some stuff but not all.

Obviously if you want all season tires and slower steering and a softer ride and AWD for that matter, thats cool. I can appreciate that. On the other hand, I find it hard to justify extra weight in a slightly slower car when we are talking about something as sporty as the G. I guess I can live with it, but for me its settling for less even though its not that big a deal and I guess I can live with it.

To me its all about the feel of the car, not tenghs of a second. I agree that a few tenths of a second are nothing to get excited about and that the rest of the items on this list are not THAT much of a big deal either. I will even go as far as to say that most people dont need to be in the 5's to 60 since they dont know how to drive anyway, but we G people are not regular people. To be honest, IMHO if the car reacted to input the same way as the RWDs I have driven, I would not care at all, I just dont see how this is possible with a heavier car. Also, if the AWD is really off all of the time, why is there a small (granted tiny 1 mpg) difference on the highway? not AT ALL a big deal, but why?

Anyway, yes the sedan is awesome and I guess I can live with an Xs, so I should be getting one soon. My grip is slipping... LOL

Last edited by Alex57r; 04-20-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for thinking the G37XS Sedan is too slow