unsure of buying 2009 G37 AWD sedan after reading this

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 PM
ritumberto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unsure of buying 2009 G37 AWD sedan after reading this

Came across this post:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-concerns.html

I have a fairly long commute on the wonderful roads of NJ and I don't want to encounter any such issues as the post here describes. I know this happened at high elevations but what is the possibility of it occurring at sea level. This will be used as a family car and i would not want my wife driving it if this is an issue with this car, of course i would not buy the car if this is a common issue

have test driven lexus is 250 awd, BMW 328i and 2009 infinit g37x sedan awd with the premium package - one with navi

I know most people on this forum would favour the G37, but anyone can give an honest feed back of their 2009 G37x AWD sedan would be greatly appreaciated. How did you like the interior as compared to other cars, the qulaity looks a bit cheap as does the seats - are they tru leather or a knock off.

I usually tend to hold cars for a long while, 5-8 years and would like to know the relaibility of these cars as compared to BMW, Audi and their maintenance cost of the G's
Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ritumberto
Came across this post:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-concerns.html

I have a fairly long commute on the wonderful roads of NJ and I don't want to encounter any such issues as the post here describes. I know this happened at high elevations but what is the possibility of it occurring at sea level. This will be used as a family car and i would not want my wife driving it if this is an issue with this car, of course i would not buy the car if this is a common issue

have test driven lexus is 250 awd, BMW 328i and 2009 infinit g37x sedan awd with the premium package - one with navi

I know most people on this forum would favour the G37, but anyone can give an honest feed back of their 2009 G37x AWD sedan would be greatly appreaciated. How did you like the interior as compared to other cars, the qulaity looks a bit cheap as does the seats - are they tru leather or a knock off.

I usually tend to hold cars for a long while, 5-8 years and would like to know the relaibility of these cars as compared to BMW, Audi and their maintenance cost of the G's
From what I read about this issue, Infiniti is working on a fix for it; I would wait until a TSB is out or a recall since this is a safety issue.

The IS 250 is a nice looking car with a decent interior, but it's way under powered and over-priced when comparing it to the G37.

The BMW 328i is a well balanced car and little bit more refined than the G, however the G37 has a nicer interior and is more fun to drive than the bimmer.

So I would recommend the G over these 2; the only other car I would consider over the G37 is the BMW 335i, but it's 11K more.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM
G37xS

My selections were:
G37xS Sedan
BMW 328xi
A4 Quattro
C300 4matic
IS 250 AWD
TL Shd

In that order. Power goes to G37S, interior goes to A4 and drivabilty goes to 328xi. The 250 is small and underpowered. The C300 4matic is also low in power and a little bit pricy. The TL, cannot figure out which is the front or back of the car. The G37xS also won in price. Just my take.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Riley
Registered Member

I too am seriously considering buying a G37X sedan but all these threads give me a few concerns. Most issues I figure will be addressed with a software update but what concerns me is rattles and the VVEL valve train noise.

I have a IS250 RWD with a manual and while it is under powered, it's not too bad for a commuter car. I'm thinking about the G37X for the wife's car.

I just hope the rattles and valve train issue don't end up haunting me.

What do you guys think, is the G37 a rattle free car (with in reason)?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM
heff

does it have to be AWD? i got a RWD in saskatoon canada and we prolly got the worst roads in the winter and i manage quite fine!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a car from the first shipment of G37xS that were sent to North America and I've never had that problem.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i've never felt it going on millions of test drives and driving it myself
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
pzima

I bought the 37x sedan two weeks ago and have been happy so far. Haven't noticed any of the problems described.

I also looked at some of the cars you mentioned especially the 3-series and the Audi A4. Here is my take for whatever it's worth.

The Audi (3.2) version has a very nice interior although comparable to the G. It had less power and pickup and I thought the brakes were not as good. Plus it was more 3-4 thousand more expensive for similar configuration.

The BMW (335 x-drive) seemed to have less rear seat room. The interior is very bare and not well planned out in my opinion. Part of it is personal taste but I like having a dashboard that is high tech. Plus it's about 10k more for a similar package. It may also be hard to find a configuration you want exactly since everything is an add-on option. Didn't get that far with the salesman.

The G drives amazingly well. It's has nice pickup, handles well and sticks to the road. I like the interior as well (I got the wood option). It is not cheap by any means. All the material feels solid and fits well together.

Good luck deciding.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
since you're planning to keep this car for over 8 years, the BMW and Audi has the reputation unfortunately of being less reliable. the Infiniti always had a strong powertrain warranty up to 6yrs/70k miles plus the best performance for the money. All these vehicles do have a great resale value so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
since you're planning to keep this car for over 8 years, the BMW and Audi has the reputation unfortunately of being less reliable. the Infiniti always had a strong powertrain warranty up to 6yrs/70k miles plus the best performance for the money. All these vehicles do have a great resale value so I wouldn't worry about that.
As much as I like Audi's and BMW's, their history of electrical problems and maintenance nightmares has kept me away from owning them. Just ask anybody who has owned one for more than 3 or 4 years.

I like to go by these rules:
  • Rent American
  • Lease German
  • Buy Japanese
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
ritumberto

Originally Posted by Riley
I too am seriously considering buying a G37X sedan but all these threads give me a few concerns. Most issues I figure will be addressed with a software update but what concerns me is rattles and the VVEL valve train noise.

I have a IS250 RWD with a manual and while it is under powered, it's not too bad for a commuter car. I'm thinking about the G37X for the wife's car.

I just hope the rattles and valve train issue don't end up haunting me.

What do you guys think, is the G37 a rattle free car (with in reason)?
Riley: what are the rattles and VVEL valve train noise issues you mention of?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
ritumberto

Originally Posted by pzima
I bought the 37x sedan two weeks ago and have been happy so far. Haven't noticed any of the problems described.

I also looked at some of the cars you mentioned especially the 3-series and the Audi A4. Here is my take for whatever it's worth.

The Audi (3.2) version has a very nice interior although comparable to the G. It had less power and pickup and I thought the brakes were not as good. Plus it was more 3-4 thousand more expensive for similar configuration.

The BMW (335 x-drive) seemed to have less rear seat room. The interior is very bare and not well planned out in my opinion. Part of it is personal taste but I like having a dashboard that is high tech. Plus it's about 10k more for a similar package. It may also be hard to find a configuration you want exactly since everything is an add-on option. Didn't get that far with the salesman.

The G drives amazingly well. It's has nice pickup, handles well and sticks to the road. I like the interior as well (I got the wood option). It is not cheap by any means. All the material feels solid and fits well together.

Good luck deciding.

I was looking at the base 328i series with the cold and premium package in automatic or manual. The audi was the base A4 2.0 TFSI model and not the 3.2 which is a really nice car but out of my price range. Even on the G's i was looking at the base model - currently own a 1998 jeep which is a bare bone model and hence i do not look for anything fancier in car. i did like the 2004 328xi but the new interior are just horrible.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
ritumberto

Originally Posted by Wongster
As much as I like Audi's and BMW's, their history of electrical problems and maintenance nightmares has kept me away from owning them. Just ask anybody who has owned one for more than 3 or 4 years.

I like to go by these rules:
  • Rent American
  • Lease German
  • Buy Japanese
I know of mechanical issues on the 3 series and most of them seem to be coming from driving it hard on the tracks, i know this as one of my coworker owns a 3 series and drives it on the tracks and the bmw schools. but since i wont be pushing the car hard either the 3 or the G should satisfy. I did like the G for its standard equipment but cant get over the center console they have, did like the 2002 G35 console,
Old 03-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Riley
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ritumberto
Riley: what are the rattles and VVEL valve train noise issues you mention of?

2 different areas of concern. Regarding the VVEL valve noise, here's some threads I pulled from a search but there's more info around here and the g35driver website:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/189544-engine-noise-from-bank-2-vvel-actuator.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/189258-noise-from-bank-2-vvel-actuator.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/187753-should-i-use-the-vvell-easter-oil.html

Note that there's a TSB on this but jury's out if it really fixes it 100% of the time. Weird one.

For the rattles and noises, search around here and on g35driver site. Here's one link that raised my eyebrows:

http://g35driver.com/forums/canada/2...ul-noises.html

Last edited by Riley; 03-25-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
G37USR

law, none of those cars can match up with teh G37. Only car that comes close, is the 09 Acura Tl SH-AWD, i also test drove it. It feels really nice.

Quick Reply: unsure of buying 2009 G37 AWD sedan after reading this