G37 Sedan

Climate control slow to heat up cabin

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Climate control slow to heat up cabin

On cold days I put the temperature to 75 degrees and put the climate control on Auto; the heater takes a very long time to start blowing hot air from the vents, it starts blowing warm air from the foot wells and take another 5+ minutes to start blowing air from the upper vents. Is this normal?

I owned a Nissan Maxima that exhibited this same behavior.

My wife owns a Lexus and the heater start blowing hot air from the vents as soon as I turn the climate control up.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
WhiteG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it off of auto and select the upper vents on the control...maybe??
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WhiteG37S
take it off of auto and select the upper vents on the control...maybe??
I tried that, but the issue is the time for the air to get warm even though the engine is up to operating speed.

I don't have this issue with cold air, the AC blows cold air instantly when the outside temperature is high.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
WhiteG37S

do you have dual zone climate control engaged?
if so try taking that off.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WhiteG37S
do you have dual zone climate control engaged?
if so try taking that off.
I'll try that; do you experience the same thing with your car?

Last edited by madmax2k1; 03-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 PM
WhiteG37S

once when dual zone climate was on..it was set to 68 on passenger and 90 on driver...driver side would't get hot...don't think the system can go full hot and full cold at the same time.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Wes_888

Yes its normal. The Auto will blow air through the lower vents when your heating the car.

And it does take a while. The AUTO function wont blow air until its able to blow warm air.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 AM
aznutx

for me i dont like the auto except after 10mins of driving long distance, i always set it either 60 or 90 front vents only, depending on cold or hot weather
Old 03-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I live in a pretty warm climate, but it doesn't seem to get warm to me unless I set it to 80 or higher.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
my commutes are late at night and with the new england chill, it get as low as 5 degrees..my car starts up perfect and the heat is always good once the car gets rolling..heated seats though take a bit and are no where as good as my brothers new 335xi heated seats..oh those are soooo goooood

btw i keep my heat setting at 76 dual auto for both sides..car warms up fine
Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ok guys here it is from someone who knows cold . The heater will not start to blow warm air until your engine is properly heated up. Your heater is basically a fan blowing accross your heater core. The car will not flow warm fluid through your heater core until the engine has reached a certin temp. Once that happens you get hot air
Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
catlover52

[quote=madmax2k1;2564787]On cold days I put the temperature to 75 degrees and put the climate control on Auto; the heater takes a very long time to start blowing hot air from the vents, it starts blowing warm air from the foot wells and take another 5+ minutes to start blowing air from the upper vents. Is this normal?

I don't think it's "normal"...we've had our G37x for one month, live in New England, & shocked at how fast the heat comes on.

My hubby just said he never uses "auto" as "auto" has never worked right in our 1999 Audi, nor any other car he's driven. He suggests setting the "auto" heat to 90 or 'Hi", as you want all the heat available when the engine is warming up. Once it's 100% warmed up, turn it down to 75. Of course this isn't as "auto" as you want, but you should get heat quicker this way. (he feels there is still cold air mixing with warm as the engine warms up, so you want all available heat from that engine during warm up to counterbalance the cold to warm....) Hope this makes some sense...

As for why you are getting
foot heat 5 mins before upper vents - that's just odd unless the upper vents have more mix of cold air for longer period of time?

Good luck! Let us know if this works, or if you find something is wrong...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
AAMC

Originally Posted by shumby
ok guys here it is from someone who knows cold . The heater will not start to blow warm air until your engine is properly heated up. Your heater is basically a fan blowing accross your heater core. The car will not flow warm fluid through your heater core until the engine has reached a certin temp. Once that happens you get hot air
Word. This is how it works.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

I don't think it's "normal"...we've had our G37x for one month, live in New England, & shocked at how fast the heat comes on.

My hubby just said he never uses "auto" as "auto" has never worked right in our 1999 Audi, nor any other car he's driven. He suggests setting the "auto" heat to 90 or 'Hi", as you want all the heat available when the engine is warming up. Once it's 100% warmed up, turn it down to 75. Of course this isn't as "auto" as you want, but you should get heat quicker this way. (he feels there is still cold air mixing with warm as the engine warms up, so you want all available heat from that engine during warm up to counterbalance the cold to warm....) Hope this makes some sense...

As for why you are getting
foot heat 5 mins before upper vents - that's just odd unless the upper vents have more mix of cold air for longer period of time?

Good luck! Let us know if this works, or if you find something is wrong...

[/QUOTE]

I tried the heater again last night by putting the Temp on 90 degrees; it started blowing hot air from the upper vents right away. I guess the amount of hot air it blows is dependent on the outside temperature and the temperature it's set on; the bigger the difference between these 2 temperatures, the more heat it generates.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
G37xS

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I tried that, but the issue is the time for the air to get warm even though the engine is up to operating speed.

I don't have this issue with cold air, the AC blows cold air instantly when the outside temperature is high.

In a cold day, the engine will take longer to warm up. The heat produced by the engine (waste energy) is used to heat up the car's interior.
In a hot day, the compressor and the refrigerant are the one being used to cool the interior. The engine will be needed to crank the compressor so the results is an immediate cooling. So as soon as you start the engine, the cooling will also start.

Quick Reply: Climate control slow to heat up cabin