G37 Sedan

How Much is Active Steer Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 AM
Rodzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much is Active Steer Worth?

I'm looking at getting a new 2009 G37 Journey 7AT with the sports package. While it would be nice to have an iPod interface, moonroof, and bluetooth integration, I don't think it's worth the $2,500 to me that the premium package costs. Similarly, while it would be nice to have navigation, I don't think it's worth the extra $2,100 to me (although I'd be more willing to get navi than the premium package).

My dilemma is that I want the 4-wheel active steering. I think it looks pretty beneficial for the sportiness of the car. However, it requires the premium package, nav package, and rear spoiler (what does the rear spoiler look like), and thus is pretty expensive (although it does include all the benefits of those packages).

How nice is the 4-wheel active steer? Is it noticably nice or is it just nice to have every now and then but you don't really notice it? And am I a fool if I just get the sport package and ignore the premium/navi/tech packages?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 AM
vukhey
Registered Member

maybe its just me, but i think the 4WAS is probably my last choice for the options, seeing as how i didnt get it myself, but i wouldnt have mind getting it had it been available on my car. however, i do think you should get the premium at the least, ipod, bluetooth, moonroof,and bose audio is worth the 2,500, not to mention the memory seat when you unlock your car, especially when someone drives it. the navi is a bit of a stretch at 2,100, but it was a must have for me, needed a nav, didnt want to put an aftermarket in there, just doesnt flow as well, plus you get the back up cam. now the 4was, i say if thats what you want, go for it, but imo, if you don't drive too hard, it probably wouldnt matter, and i think our car handles just fine w/o it, but dont take my word for it, cos i know there are ppl on here that love that feature, but if i were you buying a new car, i'd get it just so i dont regret not getting it later,(thats what happen to me and the tech package, now im glad i got it, ICC is fantastic).
the spoiler looks like this
https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...ng-part-2.html
looks nice, blends in with the car, and if you hate the chrome one you should get it.
anyways, i guess if i were to get the car, i would probably get it all just so i dont feel like i missed out on not getting it and regretting it since ill be driving this for at least 5 years. just my 2 cents
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its funny how people who didn't get it chime in a lot. I got it and love it. I have driven many cars now without it and you really notice it. even my little bro on some hard corners is like damn your car just turns, lol. some freeways incidents its saved me an since i don't track nor think im an expert driver like many, its agreat asset to have.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
nogoodname
Banned

I guess not a lot of ppl got it....lol.....lonesome thread
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
w0ady

premium and nav were a must for me. as for 4was, everything i READ stated it was more for high speed maneuvering such as the highway and not good for track handling so thats why i did not want it.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
its funny how people who didn't get it chime in a lot. I got it and love it. I have driven many cars now without it and you really notice it. even my little bro on some hard corners is like damn your car just turns, lol. some freeways incidents its saved me an since i don't track nor think im an expert driver like many, its agreat asset to have.
Could you elaborate please? What do you feel that you notice with it? How specifically does it help? I test drove cars with and without.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

like said only activates over 25mph or higher speeds. on freeway on ramps you can really feel the back end just slide into the turn which allows me to turn in faster. I drove a g37 with out it a few weeks back and it didn't feel as stable as I did in mine. you really have to have it to notice you don't. If you never do, you may never know. I remember when we did canyon runs, I really could push the cars to its limits and not worry. i saw a few guys slide out and i was always good. Is it worth it? you have to get it to realize it is. Otherwise, its going ot be a feature everyone thinks just add weight. lots of threads on this though.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

like said only activates over 25mph or higher speeds. on freeway on ramps you can really feel the back end just slide into the turn which allows me to turn in faster. I drove a g37 with out it a few weeks back and it didn't feel as stable as I did in mine. you really have to have it to notice you don't. If you never do, you may never know. I remember when we did canyon runs, I really could push the cars to its limits and not worry. i saw a few guys slide out and i was always good. Is it worth it? you have to get it to realize it is. Otherwise, its going ot be a feature everyone thinks just add weight. lots of threads on this though.
Thanks for the explanation. So since you have it and have driven a G without it, would you say your VDC kicks in less often on high speed turns or evasive maneuvers than a non AWS car?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would probably take premium over sport, which I did do. They additions that the Premium pkg gives make the car that much more enjoyable. I use the Bluetooth daily, garage door opener daily, iPod dock daily, for what they give in the premium pkg it's well worth it, and not really wasteful additions.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

i have premium and nav. i know that when i get sideways the car will catch itself much easier and quicker. I have been very lucky with this car when i 1st got it. So yes i would say vdc has comeon less
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

i have premium and nav. i know that when i get sideways the car will catch itself much easier and quicker. I have been very lucky with this car when i 1st got it. So yes i would say vdc has comeon less
Cool, thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Rodzilla

Originally Posted by Graham
I would probably take premium over sport, which I did do. They additions that the Premium pkg gives make the car that much more enjoyable. I use the Bluetooth daily, garage door opener daily, iPod dock daily, for what they give in the premium pkg it's well worth it, and not really wasteful additions.
Where does the iPod attach? Is there a picture somewhere?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I had it on my 07 g35 coupe..loved it then and it was know as only REAR wheel active steer, but still i could tell a difference...then I wanted a G37 with just navi package and guess what ended up coming with the car, the tech and 4-wheel active steer LOL..

Its even better on this car, cant wait to actually use it in warmer weather
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

used it today. kicked off vdc and hit a corner going hot, back in corrected itself and I was FlYING out the corner. again, if you think you are a pro. driver don't get it. if you don't (which is going to be 99% of us) get it. again, the weight is not as issue. we drive a boat. Most won't track this car. but i know its one of those things that until you have it for a week you won't notice how great it was. its not easy to feel it out with a dealer test drive
Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 AM
09'G37SAWS

I drove both with and without one right after the other. What a HUGE difference. Scared the %$#@ out of the salesman. 80mph lane changes as fast as you want with no over correcting. The harder you drive the car the more you realize how well it works.

Bought it. Guess I will just have to suffer at the track next......oh thats right this is my wife's street sedan.

Don't listen to anyone about this feature-go drive both and if you don't feel the difference....you don't need it, don't but it.

Quick Reply: How Much is Active Steer Worth?