G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
stranded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Help! I bought a new 2009 G37X in October, 2008 that currently has 5000 kms on it. It has had the same problem now three times, and the dealer can't find a fix. Randomly, the car will intermittently start chugging/ lurching and the revs will drop. If you keep the rpm at 2000, you can drive the car at 30 km/hr; any attempt at higher rpms and the car starts lurching. When you stop, it idles at about 1100 rpm, and smells very hot. If you stop and sit for 10 minutes, something resets, and the car runs fine. This is quite dangerous if you don't have anywhere to pull over, and/or at highway speeds. The dealer gave us a 2009 G37X loaner while ours is in the shop, and now the loaner (with 4500 kms on it) has just started doing the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 PM
heff

lemon... get a new one!

and get a RWD one just in case : P
Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 PM
ChrisSlicks

Did you put gas in both cars from the same gas station? You might be getting some bad gas or there is water in the gas.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 PM
stranded

Last edited by stranded; 01-29-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 PM
stranded

we've been using different gas stations, and the dealer took a sample of gas to check, and it was fine.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
heff

What did Infiniti Canada have to say to you????
Old 01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

unfortunatly you probably have to file a report with the BBB.
I'm not sure what the lemon law is in Canada, if it's three times for same problem or four
in Cali it's four
I had problem with my Nissan 350Z burning a lot of oil acouple years ago
and went numorous times to try to get it fixed, had even a new motor put in
bought the car brand new and started having this issue at about 1,800 miles
presented my case fairly well to the BBB and they still ruled against me
Nissan probably paid them off
but it's worth a try
Nissan-Infiniti doesn't stand by their product
they don't take responsibility for anything
Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM
heff

Originally Posted by dannbla
unfortunatly you probably have to file a report with the BBB.
I'm not sure what the lemon law is in Canada, if it's three times for same problem or four
in Cali it's four
I had problem with my Nissan 350Z burning a lot of oil acouple years ago
and went numorous times to try to get it fixed, had even a new motor put in
bought the car brand new and started having this issue at about 1,800 miles
presented my case fairly well to the BBB and they still ruled against me
Nissan probably paid them off
but it's worth a try
Nissan-Infiniti doesn't stand by their product
they don't take responsibility for anything
Then why did u get a G37? no offense its a serious question
Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 PM
AAMC

I have a '09 6MT that kinda did the same thing last night, however I attributed it to driving around in the snow. Was using a lot of the slip and VDC, I pulled into the driveway and gunned it. Smelled very rich as well with a burning type smell too. I'd hit the gas and it would only go to 2k and bog down. Kinda like a limp mode. I turned off the car and restarted and haven't had a problem since. Hope nothing serious is going on. I have 5000 miles on my car.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
AAAAHHHHHH Welcome to Nissan my friend
Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
stranded

Last edited by stranded; 01-29-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
stranded

Originally Posted by AAMC
I have a '09 6MT that kinda did the same thing last night, however I attributed it to driving around in the snow. Was using a lot of the slip and VDC, I pulled into the driveway and gunned it. Smelled very rich as well with a burning type smell too. I'd hit the gas and it would only go to 2k and bog down. Kinda like a limp mode. I turned off the car and restarted and haven't had a problem since. Hope nothing serious is going on. I have 5000 miles on my car.
That sounds like the same problem we've had happen three times with our car, and once with the '09 G37X loaner they provided. Starting to sound like a pattern.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Originally Posted by heff
Then why did u get a G37? no offense its a serious question
I was debating between a 335i and G37S
and decided to go with the G
and figured Infiniti would be a higher quality car then the Nissan 350Z
I've had some minor issues with this car, but I'm still happy with it
I have a issue with the leather seats now
and the way they are handeling or not handeling it is sad
thats why I say they don't stand by there product
because I have experienced it for myself
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 PM
the rever

This is my first post, and it's not a happy one.

I took delivery on an '09 G37x sedan (auto) early this month (January). Love the car. However, one week later the same thing happened to mine as described above. It happened as I drove the car from a snowy, slushy mix onto dry pavement. I was able to limp the car home. After waiting for 30 minutes, I restarted the car and it performed normally. I was told by the dealer that it was, perhaps, just a one time thing.

Yesterday (January 28) was another slushy day. After leaving my neighborhood (which means I left the slushy, unplowed areas for dry main arteries), I drove for ten minutes on dry streets and at speeds of up to sixty mph. Still on dry streets, I made a left turn (same as before) onto another dry street when the car began doing what it did three weeks previously. Surprised (especially because I was on dry streets), I pulled over to see if the engine would recover, but after five minutes of no change, I limped the car home. As before, I was very fortunate to be only two blocks from my home.

Once there, I left the engine running and called the dealership. I spoke with the service department and described in detail what was happening. With a rep on the phone, I revved the engine to 2,400 RPMs, and it began coughing and sputtering, unable to exceed it. The rep said he could hear the trouble, and asked me to turn off the engine and restart it. After doing that, the same trouble remained, so I parked the car and shut off the engine. The rep then gave me the Infiniti Roadside Assistance number, and suggested I call them in order to have the car transported to the dealership. However, after thirty minutes, I restarted the car and everything returned to normal. I drove the car to the dealership late this morning.

They put it through every diagnostic test they could and found nothing. They suspect that there is something wrong with a sensor or chip that forces the car into “fail safe mode” (something which protects the engine by hindering it), but cannot duplicate the problem.

My option was: 1) take the car home (I live more than an hour away), wait for it to happen again and the dealership would have it towed for testing. Problem: it’s dangerous. If, for example, I were to attempt a merge into speeding traffic and it happened, well, that’s a serious risk. I wouldn’t let my wife drive it, and I wouldn’t allow my kids in the car. Further, the car seems to re-set after the engine is off for a while, which means the problem would be over by the time it was towed to the dealership. No duplication. 2) leave the car at the dealership and accept a loaner. This means a rep will drive my car until the problem happens again. How long that will be, no one knows. Further, I am paying for a car I’m not driving. How long do I let them have it?

I chose option #2. They have my G37x, and I have their EX 35.

I have been treated very well—understanding and sympathy all around. No complaints at all, but I feel trapped. What would you recommend? Any ideas?

(By the way, it's platinum graphite, premium, navigation, illuminated kick plates, clear bra, cargo net, trunk carpet, glass breakage sensor, etc.)
Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 AM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the rever, you should ask/yell/force the dealership to change the sensor for you even if they can't duplicate the problem at that exact time! If this happened to you 2 3 times, I don't see why you should leave your car at the dealership for them to see it for themselves. I mean think of it this way, if they don't trust you and can't be sure that you really had the problem or not, then why should you trust them and leave your car with them! I know I wouldn't.

I believe many other people had the same issue with the 08! Do a search please! If I recall correctly, I believe it was the engine sensor or something like that! If the dealership is not willing to replace the part without duplicating the problem, then try another dealership if possible!

Good luck, welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns