G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
the rever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Yikes 8500 rpm for idle? I don't think that's normal.
Oops. Make that 850 rpms!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM
TL62

G37x mech problems

This is a scare...we take delivery of our 09 G37xS...IN THREE HOURS!

To anyone's knowledge here, has this patch been provided to all their AWD vehicles or only the 4 that have had issues thus far?

Has anyone been able to get a hold of a TSB number? I will definitely be bringing this up when I get to Calgary Hyatt Infiniti today.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chugger
They offered me a rental, seeing I have been Infiniti-less for 2 weeks now, and I asked if it would be an AWD Infiniti, they said no, so I wonder what the hell I am paying for! If I had wanted to drive around in a Ford Fusion I would have bought one and saved $20K.
Poor guy...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the rever
I called my insurance company last week and informed them. My cost will not go up, and they have made a note about it in my file. In the event of an accident, they will take appropriate action.

Here's the link to the video. The web site will only accept a five minute video, so it cuts off at that point. When I restarted the car, everything returned to normal, including the idle at 850 rpms, it didn't sputter at 2300 rpms, and there were, of course, no warning lights.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...l142009web.flv

I am in contact with the tech rep at my dealership, and will shortly call Infiniti directly.

poor guy u sound so depressed in the video....i hope this isht gets fixed buddy
Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
TL62

Wish me luck everyone, just a touch nervous about this right now and I haven't even taken delivery of the new car yet.

Is there a name or info for a contact at Calgary Hyatt Infiniti that would be familiar with this issue, should the need arise for me to get this issue resolved? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Yes, Great work. Hang in there, they got to fix it. The guys in Canada have a patch we think but it sounded like the dealer couldn't reflash on site and they had to send in the ECU for a replacement.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
the rever

Tomorrow (Tuesday, April 21) I have a ride-along with the regional tech rep. Along with the techs at the dealership, he poured over the car a month and a half ago without finding anything wrong.

I will post what goes on with him.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Riley
Registered Member

Seems obvious to tell him about the guys in Calgary with the same issue.
Also perhaps show him this thread.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Stranded are you the same guy that posted in the G35 forum???
Anyway glad to hear everything is well again, knocking on wood for you just in case.

Last edited by gugarci; 04-21-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-22-2009, 05:06 PM
the rever

I just heard from the dealership and the regional tech rep.

After again finding nothing out of line through the computer diagnostics (as they did over a month ago), the tech nevertheless downloaded and applied two new software updates. One will hopefully better regulate the air-flow to the car (same as the Canadian issue), and one will smooth-out the decelerating gear change from third to second, something many owners have complained about. Both software updates have become available in the last month.

The regional rep noticed the abruptness or jerkiness of the gear change from third to second while driving my car, and took it upon himself to make the update. I appreciate that. Further, he did the 3,750 mile service to the car, since it’s now at about 3,100. He used ester oil, and recommends it for the life of the car. He said that if I used synthetic, it will work fine but the engine will sound a bit louder. There was no charge for this service, and I appreciate that.

There have been four “episodes” that I have had with the car in the three months I’ve had it, so the clock has started. I suspect I will not be at ease until a few months have gone by.

My deep thanks to the members of this forum. Because of the information I have found here, as well as your helpful suggestions, I directed them to the Canadian issue and video taped the most recent occurrence in my car. Those two things convinced them to move aggressively. I suspect nothing would have happened as yet were it not for you.

I’ll post back if something happens—God forbid.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
badcd

Originally Posted by the rever
the tech nevertheless downloaded and applied two new software updates. One will hopefully better regulate the air-flow to the car (same as the Canadian issue), and one will smooth-out the decelerating gear change from third to second, something many owners have complained about. Both software updates have become available in the last month.
Good luck--you deserve it!

Any chance of posting a reference to the new software from your paperwork or wherever so we can point our Service guys in the right direction? Without a part or procedure reference the service guys tend to disavow any knowledge of a problem--or a fix.

My '09G37X coupe had one episode of this. They replaced the sensor but I have been driving with my fingers crossed for two months waiting for a "real" fix.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
brynomon

This sounds a bit promising. But I hope you update us on the changes soon. I'm taking my sedan into the dealership on monday for windshield replacement. Yup about 3 days after having the car I noticed a deep scratch in the windshield (inside). They are replacing it FOC and if your fix works I would like to add that software update and ester into the mix if you notice the downshifting etc to be better.

I just had another long jerky commute home albeit better than before.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Riley
Registered Member

I thrilled that maybe you've got the fixes needed Rever. I just might buy a G37 now but will hold for a bit waiting to see if you're problems persist.

BTW - did the tech actually look at this site in order to comment on the "Canadian problem"?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
the rever

Originally Posted by badcd
Good luck--you deserve it!
Any chance of posting a reference to the new software from your paperwork or wherever so we can point our Service guys in the right direction? Without a part or procedure reference the service guys tend to disavow any knowledge of a problem--or a fix.
I hope to get my car back today or tomorrow, and I will post what I find on the paperwork.

Riley, I'm not certain that the regional tech actually looked at this site. He might have, but I don't know. However, the dealer service guys have looked here, and I have been flooding them with quotes from this and a couple of other sites regarding this issue. They've been here.

There's no question that information from this site cut down their learning curve and facilitated this attempted fix. And that's what I like about this site: it's not just for young G modifiers and fan boys. It's also for older guys like me who want the best out of their cars.

Cool!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM
the rever

I’m glad to have my car back, but I’m knocking on my dashboard (wood) that the problem will not happen again.

Here’s how the paperwork reads:

VEHICLE CUTS OUT WHILE DRIVING
DTS TT INSP VEH FOR INT LOSS OF PWR. NOT DUPLICATED AT THIS TIME. RPM ECM WITH LATEST AVAIL SFTWR. TEST DROVE 150+ MILES

MISC JOBS – Z9999

Now about the software update that addresses the rough deceleration from third to second gear (at about 22mph), my initial impression is OUTSTANDING. It is now nearly impossible to detect! All vehicles now coming off the assembly line have this software, of course. If you don’t have it, get it the next time your car is in for service—at least if this is a problem in your car. I’m very pleased by it.

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns