G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 PM
the rever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the latest.

I suspect the lemon law will not apply because there have been no attempts to repair it. They've had the car three times now, but have been unable to figure anything out. Therefore, no attempt at repair. This is essentially what I was told by the rep on the Infiniti Owners line. They are looking into it and will get back to me by Tuesday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Further, the corporate directive to the dealership (which continues to treat me very well) is to wait for when the regional tech rep can do a ride-along with me--in about a month! I'm certain that ride-along would be to show me that everything is fine and that it's simply my mistake.

Fat chance that I will wait for this. While I don't relish the idea of an adversarial relationship with Infiniti, it may well be drawing near. Can you say, "Lawyer time"? I was truly in serious danger during the snowstorm last week, and do not now confidently enjoy driving the car.

I have today (Friday) dropped my car off at the dealership because a big snow storm will arrive tonight and tomorrow. That will give them the chance to drive it extensively in poor conditions. Luck being what it is--fickle--it's likely nothing will occur. . .but maybe it will. Though there is no fix as of yet (at least here in the States), they'll at least have it on record.

I'll pick the car up on Sunday and post back what happens.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Riley
Registered Member

This is unreal. Can't these guys close the loop between the Canadian arm of Infiniti and the US side? Good grief.

Assuming this is the same issue, they should know they have a problem.
Thank god for the internet otherwise you'd have to take them at their word.
Knowledge is power and the internet gives that power.

Before I buy a new G37X, I'm tempted to contact Infiniti Canada and demand info on this (make it a TSB and available to the US owners). They need to get their act together.
I wish you luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
the rever

So the storm failed to materialize, which means the driving conditions were not those associated with the troubles of the car. No snow, no sloppy conditions = no duplication of the problem. They drove it for about 25 miles, but no problem.

Of course.

Infiniti of America is supposed to contact me tomorrow with “their course of action,” but I doubt I will be satisfied. I’ll post what I find out, as well as what my plans are from here.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
the rever

By the way, what's a TSB?

I spoke with an Infiniti Consumer Affairs rep today. LONG conversation, but in the end I gave her approval to schedule an appointment with the regional service rep if it's not greater than one week from today. If it's longer than that, no thanks. She will call me tomorrow with that news.

The Consumer Affairs rep treated me very well on the phone, and understood why I am unhappy. I even asked her if I was being a butt about all this, and she replied, "No. You certainly are not."

As I have previously written, she believes a request for a buy back "will almost certainly be denied since there has been no attempt at repair." I said, "So even though the dealership has had my car for two weeks over three occasions, even though I'm rarely driving the car since my family and I are in serious danger every time it happens, and even though the dealership knows there is a real problem they cannot figure out, that does not constitute an attempt at repair. Have I got this right, and does that seem ridiculous to you?" She replied, "Yes, you have it right, and yes, it seems ridiculous."

After I hear from the rep, I will be contacting my attorney.

And thanks for your help, everyone. I'm posting here for two reasons: 1) you know more about this car than I do = I learn from you; 2) I'll have a record of what's gone on.

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

A TSB can become a Recall if it is a safety issue and enough people experience the problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
the rever

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Riley
Registered Member

rever - as per my PM, what elevation are you at?

This has got to be same bug as the guys in Calgary ect...
Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
G35 Stickman

After reading every post it seems that this is basically only happening on the 09 G37x correct? I own a 09 RWD G37 with 1100 miles on it and have not experienced anything like this yet. Maybe I need to wait until next winter when I drive it in the snow!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Riley
Registered Member

It would appear it's only on the AWD and at very high elevations.
If anybody sees this on a RWD, please post up.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 AM
the rever

Well, I've got it--proof on video.

To be brief because it's late, it happened for a fourth time tonight. That's 19 days since the last episode. As ridiculous as this sounds, I have been keeping trip miles to a minimum out of fear that the next time it happens will cause an accident. However, since the weather was great--dry and warm--I decided to take it on the longest trip yet. I got the car in early January.

My wife and I drove about 1.8 hours from Longmont to Colorado Springs for a concert. At the very end of our return trip it did it again, lurching and bucking and refusing to go past 2300 rpms.

And there was no snow, no rain, no slick conditions at all. The temperature was about 47 degrees. After speeds of 60 - 80 mph on I 25, I was going about 53 mph on a straight away when it began. I wasn't braking, I wasn't turning, I was simply approaching my neighborhood with my foot resting on the accelerator.

Throw all the theories about snow and cold out the window.

I will upload the video tomorrow morning and post the site address. On the video you can clearly see the gauges, see the speed, see the rpm needle bouncing and refusing to go past 2300 rpms, you can hear the motor searching at idle, and sputtering when in D at 2300.

This is awful.

P.S. I'm at 5,000 feet elevation.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
the rever

I called my insurance company last week and informed them. My cost will not go up, and they have made a note about it in my file. In the event of an accident, they will take appropriate action.

Here's the link to the video. The web site will only accept a five minute video, so it cuts off at that point. When I restarted the car, everything returned to normal, including the idle at 850 rpms, it didn't sputter at 2300 rpms, and there were, of course, no warning lights.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...l142009web.flv

I am in contact with the tech rep at my dealership, and will shortly call Infiniti directly.

Last edited by the rever; 04-15-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Keng

Get your ECM updated
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
brynomon

Is there a definitive solution that is now accepted and practiced? It seems to me that Infiniti usa doesn't have a fix yet. If there is in fact a USA TSB and fix I would like to make sure my car's software is up to date before I run into this problem. Does it affect an altitude that chicago has? I'm lost haha.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the rever
When I restarted the car, everything returned to normal, including the idle at 8500 rpms,
Yikes 8500 rpm for idle? I don't think that's normal.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you did happen to get into an accident due to this problem, it would be a hell of a law suit

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns