G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Kidsdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan. Just seemed a lot tighter in handling than my regular G37x. I even looked at what it would cost me to trade up to the G37xS but it really did not make any financial sense so staying with what I've got
Kidsdoc
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Kidsdoc

Not sure what acronym you mean.
The G37xS is the "sportier" version with paddle shifter on the steering column, and (I think) different suspension set up. Seats also seemed to hug a bit more snuggly but perhaps this was all a pleasant illusion .
See this site for Canadian model comparisons:
http:////infiniti.ca/vehicles/featur....aspx?series=G
I didn't get into the specifics of the software upgrade but apparently it needed some tweaking with the Mass Airflow Sensor (whatever that is) under very specific driving conditions - esp speed, gradient and altitude.
All I can say is my car is back to normal and I have been very well treated by the Calgary Infiniti dealer (Hyatt Infiniti) although I did have to make a fuss when I was offered a Malibu as a loaner initially
Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 AM
G37xS

Does anyone who had the software update got some Tech Service Bulletin number for this fix? It must be nice if we can just go to our dealer and mention about the bulletin service update.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
the rever

Well, here's great news--ha.

Driving to the airport yesterday in awful conditions (blizzard), my car did it again--went into limp mode. It's the third or fourth time. Called the dealership and spoke with the service guy, blah, blah, blah. Treated me well, but. . .I was really upset.

The car actually sort of warned me this time. It kind of shook and lurched a few times, then cleared up, but a moment later it did the same thing and cleared up. But after 30 seconds more, limp mode full time. No warning lights.

I had to drive maybe a quarter of a mile before I could pull over, since conditions were so bad and dangerous. I sat at the side of the road and people pulled over to check on me, including a State Farm tow truck guy. "Oh, it should be okay. It will probably re-set after a half hour or so, and I hope to be alright. If not, I have my cell phone. . ." It was terrible and very dangerous.

Anyway, it did reset after leaving the car off for 25 minutes, and I made it to the airport by the skin of my teeth.

I return home on Monday, and will pick it up from there.

Suggestions?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Riley
Registered Member

For the folks that have the new software load (fix), they need to get the TSB number from the dealer so everyone can refer to it.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 PM
machinist

Yes, absolutely, I'll take one of those as well haha!
Old 03-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Kidsdoc

Originally Posted by G37xS
Does anyone who had the software update got some Tech Service Bulletin number for this fix? It must be nice if we can just go to our dealer and mention about the bulletin service update.
I am still waiting for the paperwork on the software fix for my car (still running fine) - the service manager had a pile of documents 3" thick when I picked up my car and he was still working his way through it. Once I have that info I will post it.
Kidsdoc
Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 AM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any update from Calgary Chugger or Stranded?, I'm going in for my first service in two weeks, and it will be nice to know if this update worked, I might push them to do the update as well before anything shows up
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Chugger

Hi - driving the fixed car for 1 week and no reoccurrences! Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
SANTOS29

Thanks for the reply Chugger, that's great news I guess I'll let them know that I will like them to update mine as well, just like everyone asked is there a bulletin # for this patch?.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
stranded

good news so far

Originally Posted by SANTOS29
Any update from Calgary Chugger or Stranded?, I'm going in for my first service in two weeks, and it will be nice to know if this update worked, I might push them to do the update as well before anything shows up
I picked my 09 G37X up last week, with the software upgrade applied to the ECM. The car is running fine, and I have put it in conditions that previously caused it to go into "safe mode", without any signs of problems. The dealer told me that my car and three others were given the beta software "fix", and now that it is working, all 09 G37X's will eventually get the new software. Happy motoring at last.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 AM
SANTOS29

Excellent news Stranded, I'm glad this was resolved thanks for updates guys , the wait time is 4 days correct?, I guess i'll let them know when I go in on the 13 that I want this update done.

Last edited by SANTOS29; 04-01-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
the rever

I sure hope this software update is the fix everyone hopes it is. However, I'm not sure I would be counting my chickens after only one week since the update. Perhaps I'm just unreasonably negative since my recent experience was so awful. Plus, no one I talk with here in the States has any knowledge of the software update. "That would be for Canadian cars--it wouldn't apply to US vehicles."
Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM
G37xS

Originally Posted by the rever
I sure hope this software update is the fix everyone hopes it is. However, I'm not sure I would be counting my chickens after only one week since the update. Perhaps I'm just unreasonably negative since my recent experience was so awful. Plus, no one I talk with here in the States has any knowledge of the software update. "That would be for Canadian cars--it wouldn't apply to US vehicles."
That is why it is important that we get hold of the TSB #. It will be easier for both parties, dealer and owner, to communicate and sort out this issue.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Sounds like it's still a beta fix... give them a bit to test and verify it.

These things take time.

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns