Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
agreed
Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
stranded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have given their management this website id; they are well aware of the multiple problems. They are bringing in Infiniti engineers from Japan this week. They can duplicate the problem now on all of their 2009 G37X's at the dealership, but they cannot pinpoint what causes the problem.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
marathon_runner

How exactly are they duplicating the problem? I'm wondering if my Infiniti is going to exhibit the same behavior.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 AM
volnedan

Just to be clear, I heard one person on here have an issue on a 6MT model. Has anyone had this problem on a 2008 G35S?

I had a slightly similar issue on my 2004 G35 coupe 6MT a few years back, but it was only a case of the engine cutting power for a few seconds. It happened to me on the freeway twice, and it was very scary. It recovered by going into neutral for a few seconds then back into gear.

Good luck to all of you. Hope this doesn't happen me...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
catlover52

Originally Posted by marathon_runner
How exactly are they duplicating the problem? I'm wondering if my Infiniti is going to exhibit the same behavior.
Knowing what to avoid could be useful while we await a fix, so I just called the Calgary Infiniti dealership & the service dept was very open/nice.

First - They say the problem only occurs when the cars are driven at a very consistent speed of 80km and the car enters a slight incline.

Apparently, each car has a type of "black box" that records info. They duplicated the problem for each car & the box gave info necessary for a patch. So, the Japanese engineers no longer need to come & are instead working on a patch which concerns the engine control module software. The patch should be available in a couple of weeks.

We should be hearing from both owners tonite on this forum as Ken just called each this am. He also tried to assure me that the problem can only occur as described above. (however I still think the problem has also occurred at slower speeds & often on snow/wet roads.)

Apparently, all cars will need this patch, but there won't be a recall.

Obviously, it's too soon to know how it will be handled, but I certainly hope we will all be notified to bring our cars in as soon as each dealership has the software patch. A couple of owners have reported close calls of almost being rear-ended when their cars went into the "fail-safe" mode at high speeds....

I have my fingers crossed, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I will ask my dealership to call it's rep & get informed about this problem as they have not heard about any problems...

2009 G37x 7AT sedan Liquid Plat/Graphite w/nav & premium
(2/1/09 possession) current miles: 450
Old 03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
AAMC

Originally Posted by volnedan
Just to be clear, I heard one person on here have an issue on a 6MT model. Has anyone had this problem on a 2008 G35S?

I had a slightly similar issue on my 2004 G35 coupe 6MT a few years back, but it was only a case of the engine cutting power for a few seconds. It happened to me on the freeway twice, and it was very scary. It recovered by going into neutral for a few seconds then back into gear.

Good luck to all of you. Hope this doesn't happen me...
The above is correct. We haven't had snow for a while, and the problem has not recurred.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for calling Catlover52, I'm at 2200km now and this problem hasn't shown up at all, hopefully they do release a patch to get this resolved.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM
stranded

Originally Posted by catlover52
Knowing what to avoid could be useful while we await a fix, so I just called the Calgary Infiniti dealership & the service dept was very open/nice.

First - They say the problem only occurs when the cars are driven at a very consistent speed of 80km and the car enters a slight incline.

Apparently, each car has a type of "black box" that records info. They duplicated the problem for each car & the box gave info necessary for a patch. So, the Japanese engineers no longer need to come & are instead working on a patch which concerns the engine control module software. The patch should be available in a couple of weeks.

We should be hearing from both owners tonite on this forum as Ken just called each this am. He also tried to assure me that the problem can only occur as described above. (however I still think the problem has also occurred at slower speeds & often on snow/wet roads.)

Apparently, all cars will need this patch, but there won't be a recall.

Obviously, it's too soon to know how it will be handled, but I certainly hope we will all be notified to bring our cars in as soon as each dealership has the software patch. A couple of owners have reported close calls of almost being rear-ended when their cars went into the "fail-safe" mode at high speeds....

I have my fingers crossed, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I will ask my dealership to call it's rep & get informed about this problem as they have not heard about any problems...

2009 G37x 7AT sedan Liquid Plat/Graphite w/nav & premium
(2/1/09 possession) current miles: 450
Apparently, the ECM software patch will be in early next week. They will install the new ECM/ software, test the cars out, and if no problems occur, they will be returned to the owners. I agree about the conditions this problem occurs in; we have had it happen 5 different times in 3 different '09 G37X's, and in each case, the driving conditions were different. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
G37USR

Every car has some bugs when thier new, wait till they come out with the 2010 G37, most of the bugs will be fixed out.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 PM
the rever

Originally Posted by G37USR
Every car has some bugs when thier new, wait till they come out with the 2010 G37, most of the bugs will be fixed out.
Gee, thanks for that ^.

I appreciate the help I'm getting from you, stranded and catlover52. While I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks, and haven't driven mine a lot, it has not recurred in a while. However, I'm sort of just waiting for it to do it again. . .but loving the car until it does.

Last edited by the rever; 03-08-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Kidsdoc

I have a 2009 G37x (6000km) that abruptly gave me the same problem 2 days ago while driving at 80km/h in -20C weather - car just lost power although never stalled. I was only able to get the car to run at 40km/hr otherwise it started to jerk and shudder - quite scary really.
I took it to the dealer (Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary) and I have been given same diagnosis as everyone else - Mass Airflow Sensor problem - with a promise of a software fix in the next few days. I am told that the engineers think it is an altitude issue which might explain why cars from Calgary and Colorado are over-represented.
I was given a Malibu to drive but have kicked up a fuss and will be given a new G37X to drive tomorrow until I get my car back.
The dealership here has been understanding but I must say my confidence in the product is a little shaken. I really hope this is not the beginning of an unpleasant saga..
Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
SANTOS29

wow this is starting to concern me now, lets hope this patch is released soon.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
machinist

Ya, no kiddin...mine's fine for now and I'm over 4000km so far...I just hope it doesn't act up. Should I take it to the dealership anyways just to get it updated?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
SANTOS29

what worries me is that all this vehicles are in Calgary and sadly my G is from the same dealer
Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
G37xS

I am sure they are working on it double time because of some safety implications. They sure want to contain this problem in a stealth, quick and efficient manner. All auto manufacturers now don't want any more negative news that will even slow down any pedestrian traffic in their dealer's showroom. I just hope I am right. We just had this car for a couple of weeks now and it is my wife's daily drive. I also don't want to regret my decision in choosing the G37x against the A4 Quattro, C300 4matic, 328xi and IS250 AWD.

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns