G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
catlover52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugger
Just looked on the site as I am experiencing exactly the same issues as Stranded! I picked up my new G37x on Jan 2nd from Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary... Calgary only has one Infiniti dealership, so, I hope you can understand my surprise when the service rep stated that they had never experienced this issue before, having just read Stranded's story! I have had Acura's for the past 6 years with never an issue; my confidence has been severely shaken
Yikes! I think you need to private message "stranded" and exchange info & then both of you meet at your dealership & confront them - I have to assume he brought his in to same one for this problem....Good Luck & keep us posted on this!!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Chugger

Update - they checked out the codes and couldn't find a problem; eventually decided to replace the Air Mass Flow Sensor and declared they were ready to deliver it back. Apparently, on the way to my house it spluttered for them too. So, car is safely tucked up back at the Dealership waiting for the Infiniti rep to come on Tuesday. They want to drive it around for the weekend with a Black box connected; good luck!
Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 AM
billy718

get the coupe rwd
Old 02-21-2009, 03:46 AM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn that sucks Chugger, I'm from calgary as well and I purchased my G37X on January !2, I have about 1800 km right now, but I haven't experience any problems, thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
stranded

Originally Posted by catlover52
Yikes! I think you need to private message "stranded" and exchange info & then both of you meet at your dealership & confront them - I have to assume he brought his in to same one for this problem....Good Luck & keep us posted on this!!
good idea!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 PM
stranded

Update - they checked out the codes and couldn't find a problem; eventually decided to replace the Air Mass Flow Sensor and declared they were ready to deliver it back. Apparently, on the way to my house it spluttered for them too. So, car is safely tucked up back at the Dealership waiting for the Infiniti rep to come on Tuesday. They want to drive it around for the weekend with a Black box connected; good luck!
I introduced Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary to my lawyer, and although they would not agree to refund my money as requested, they replaced my car with a new G37X. I was driving it home tonight (it has 2200 km on it), and the same problem occured. I was almost rear-ended by the car behind me as my speed dropped from 90 km/hr to 40 km/hr. Same symptoms; the car downshifted for no apparent reason, then started lurching violently and would not go faster than 40 km/hr. It smelled very hot, the 'service engine soon' light came on, the VDC light indicated VDC was off (and I couldn't turn it on), and the gear shift was shaking. I will be phoning the dealer in the morning. P.S. they replaced the Air Mass Flow Sensor in my old one, which is now one of their loaner cars.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 AM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man I hope I don't have to deal with this later, I'm amazed this has affected two different owners, but same dealer maybe there is something there
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 AM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that sux!

my 09 x coupe has 1,100 perfect miles, hope its resolved soon
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
catlover52

Originally Posted by stranded
I introduced Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary to my lawyer, and although they would not agree to refund my money as requested, they replaced my car with a new G37X. I was driving it home tonight (it has 2200 km on it), and the same problem occured. I was almost rear-ended by the car behind me as my speed dropped from 90 km/hr to 40 km/hr. Same symptoms; the car downshifted for no apparent reason, then started lurching violently and would not go faster than 40 km/hr. It smelled very hot, the 'service engine soon' light came on, the VDC light indicated VDC was off (and I couldn't turn it on), and the gear shift was shaking. I will be phoning the dealer in the morning. P.S. they replaced the Air Mass Flow Sensor in my old one, which is now one of their loaner cars.
Problem seems to be occurring from about 1800 - 5500 km/miles.

Was this latest ocurrence on dry pavement, snow, slush or rain? I'm trying to keep track.

IMO, you should have rec'd a car with no miles or at least under 500 miles. How many miles were on the first one when you took possession?

I wonder what the common "thread" is. I believe there are at least 4 people on this forum having similar problem. Three seems to suggest that something is going on. (Three are 2009 G37x 7AT - one is MT BUT ALL ARE X model = AWD)
I think the AWD is the common factor, but I know nothing about cars at all. Just trying to use common sense...

However:

1. not everyone goes on forums like us, so there could be more out there with similar problem.

2. '09 G37x sedan is very new, so not everyone has enough mileage for car to act up yet, if it is going to (ours only has 400 miles - no problem yet)

3. not everyone has the winter weather that seems to be related. Of the 4 I'm aware of, 2 of you are in Canada, 1 in Colorado & the 4th is in New England (MA) Could snow/rain/slush conditions be common cause factor? (I do recall reading that someone even had this occur once they got onto dry pavement from wet or snow)

Have you contacted the other Calgary G37x owner with this problem yet?
I also think the 4 of you should compare mfr dates - maybe something bizarre occurred at the factor in Japan if all have same/similar mfr date? (I know that the 07 or 08 G35 was missing a part (bracket) & that occurred at the factory, so anything is possible. (and it took awhile before Infiniti owned up to that one & had a recall or bulletin)

Pls keep us posted - literally!

Cat

Last edited by catlover52; 02-27-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Chugger

Update - they now tell me they can reproduce this effect in any G37x at a certain speed and incline and they think it is transmission software related. They have an Infiniti engineer coming in from Japan next week to troubleshoot. They offered me a rental, seeing I have been Infiniti-less for 2 weeks now, and I asked if it would be an AWD Infiniti, they said no, so I wonder what the hell I am paying for! If I had wanted to drive around in a Ford Fusion I would have bought one and saved $20K.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 PM
stranded

Originally Posted by catlover52
Problem seems to be occurring from about 1800 - 5500 km/miles.

Was this latest ocurrence on dry pavement, snow, slush or rain? I'm trying to keep track.

IMO, you should have rec'd a car with no miles or at least under 500 miles. How many miles were on the first one when you took possession?

I wonder what the common "thread" is. I believe there are at least 4 people on this forum having similar problem. Three seems to suggest that something is going on. (Three are 2009 G37x 7AT - one is MT BUT ALL ARE X model = AWD)
I think the AWD is the common factor, but I know nothing about cars at all. Just trying to use common sense...

However:

1. not everyone goes on forums like us, so there could be more out there with similar problem.

2. '09 G37x sedan is very new, so not everyone has enough mileage for car to act up yet, if it is going to (ours only has 400 miles - no problem yet)

3. not everyone has the winter weather that seems to be related. Of the 4 I'm aware of, 2 of you are in Canada, 1 in Colorado & the 4th is in New England (MA) Could snow/rain/slush conditions be common cause factor? (I do recall reading that someone even had this occur once they got onto dry pavement from wet or snow)

Have you contacted the other Calgary G37x owner with this problem yet?
I also think the 4 of you should compare mfr dates - maybe something bizarre occurred at the factor in Japan if all have same/similar mfr date? (I know that the 07 or 08 G35 was missing a part (bracket) & that occurred at the factory, so anything is possible. (and it took awhile before Infiniti owned up to that one & had a recall or bulletin)

Pls keep us posted - literally!

Cat

all problems occured on dry pavement, and both cars were brand new. There were approximately 3000 cars produced between my first one and second one.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 PM
stranded

Update - they now tell me they can reproduce this effect in any G37x at a certain speed and incline and they think it is transmission software related. They have an Infiniti engineer coming in from Japan next week to troubleshoot. They offered me a rental, seeing I have been Infiniti-less for 2 weeks now, and I asked if it would be an AWD Infiniti, they said no, so I wonder what the hell I am paying for! If I had wanted to drive around in a Ford Fusion I would have bought one and saved $20K.
I had the Ford Fusion too. Cracked windshield, and the fan only works on high.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Riley
Registered Member

Wow - tell infinity that I'm holding off buying my AWD Sedan until this is well understood and fixed. This will be my wifes weekday card and my weekend car. I can't afford this to happen to her.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
machinist

Just wanted to share my feedback as well. I bought the 2009 G37x AWD coupe late Dec and now I have over 3500 km on it. So far, I have had zero problems/issues with the car. It's really unfortunate to hear all the issues this vehicle is having. I just hope mine stays problem free. I think someone on this forum should print and mail/fax these forum threads to Infiniti head office for their review. At the end of the day, they are obligated to the safety of it's buyers/drivers and they have a duty to maintain the integrity of their product.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
catlover52

Originally Posted by stranded
...Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary... replaced my car with a new G37X. I was driving it home tonight (it has 2200 km on it), and the same problem occured.....

Stranded - if your replacement had 2200km on it when you picked it up, that just seems like a lot of miles for a brand new car. (I would consider that a used car)

How many miles were on your 1st first G37 that this one replaced?

2200km suggests to me that it was either a loaner or demo which could mean something..

My point is how can they replace a new car that failed, with a used car with 2200km on it? Shouldn't they replace it with another new car?

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns