G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stranded
Here's a laugh. After the loaner '09 developed the same problem, the dealer took that back (and couldn't find anything wrong with it), and provided me with a rental Ford Fusion. Now that's confidence in your product! They've had my car now for 25 days. And why did I buy an Infiniti?
Well here in Cali if you take it in for the same problem 4 times or has been in the dealer for at least 30 days you qualify for the lemon law, and should be able to get it replaced.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 AM
the rever

Thanks again for the help.

Here’s the latest.

The service techs haven’t found anything wrong and driving it has not revealed the problem. After having it for one week, the dealership is sending someone tomorrow (Wednesday) to return my car and take back their loaner. My service guy tells me that Infiniti is sending a top service rep to the dealership on Monday to look over my car, so they will send someone to my home to pick up my car that morning in exchange for another loaner. Because I consider my car a danger waiting to happen, I’m not overjoyed at getting it back.

In my thinking, Monday will be the third time they have looked at my car regarding this issue. The first time when I took it to them they put the issue in the “it’s probably just an aberration—keep an I on it”—category, but have been working on it specifically this second time.

While the situation is lousy, I am pleased with how they are treating me.

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
heff

Originally Posted by the rever
Thanks again for the help.

Here’s the latest.

The service techs haven’t found anything wrong and driving it has not revealed the problem. After having it for one week, the dealership is sending someone tomorrow (Wednesday) to return my car and take back their loaner. My service guy tells me that Infiniti is sending a top service rep to the dealership on Monday to look over my car, so they will send someone to my home to pick up my car that morning in exchange for another loaner. Because I consider my car a danger waiting to happen, I’m not overjoyed at getting it back.

In my thinking, Monday will be the third time they have looked at my car regarding this issue. The first time when I took it to them they put the issue in the “it’s probably just an aberration—keep an I on it”—category, but have been working on it specifically this second time.

While the situation is lousy, I am pleased with how they are treating me.

Comments? Suggestions?
Try Erickson Infiniti in Edmonton i know its not in calgs but o well its worth a shot man
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
if a head rep from Infiniti is coming, then they'll do a full diagnosic for it.... it might've been bad gas? but it's tough if it hasn't happened while the dealership has it
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM
the rever

My car goes into the dealership today. The regional service rep will work it over. I hope he finds the trouble and that it can be rectified simply and quickly.

Hey, stranded--what's happening with you and yours?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 PM
the rever

My G37x was swapped this morning for a loaner '07 G35x. My car was driven to the dealership.

I spoke with the service advisor at around 5:00pm this evening about what the regional service expert found after looking over my car today. He found nothing amiss—no surprise. However, the regional rep told the service advisor to tell me that I may have depressed both the brake and accelerator at the same time, which causes the car to go into limp mode. I suspect that’s what the regional rep thinks happened, unless something more sinister (read “cover up”) is going on.

The service advisor told me that depressing both at the same time will put a G into limp mode immediately. (Anyone know about this?) So, I attempted it with the G35x loaner I was driving. I attempted it from a standing start, I attempted it while at a about 5-10 mph, and I attempted it at about 20 mph—all to no effect. Further, the advisor said that as soon as the brake is applied when the car is in limp mode following this brake and accelerate pattern, the car immediately leaves limp mode and operates properly. No matter what I did during the actual incidents with my car—from braking and accelerating while moving as well as when in neutral—nothing “cured” the car of limp mode.

I do not believe that I did that at the time of the incidents anyway. Each was from a standard stop. In any case, I do not believe that my car went into limp mode because of this brake and accelerate theory. I was accelerating only.

So, my car will be returned to me tomorrow (Tuesday) with nothing found. I was told that if the problem should happen again, they will supply me with a sort of black box (like on an airplane) that will monitor the car at all times. Of course, I expressed reservations about driving the car since nothing has been found. I also said that if nothing happens after a month of driving, I will begin to relax my fears and family driving restrictions—my wife doesn’t now drive it, and I don’t let my kids in the car either.

And that’s the way it is today. Comments? Suggestions?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the rever
My G37x was swapped this morning for a loaner '07 G35x. My car was driven to the dealership.

I spoke with the service advisor at around 5:00pm this evening about what the regional service expert found after looking over my car today. He found nothing amiss—no surprise. However, the regional rep told the service advisor to tell me that I may have depressed both the brake and accelerator at the same time, which causes the car to go into limp mode. I suspect that’s what the regional rep thinks happened, unless something more sinister (read “cover up”) is going on.

The service advisor told me that depressing both at the same time will put a G into limp mode immediately. (Anyone know about this?) So, I attempted it with the G35x loaner I was driving. I attempted it from a standing start, I attempted it while at a about 5-10 mph, and I attempted it at about 20 mph—all to no effect. Further, the advisor said that as soon as the brake is applied when the car is in limp mode following this brake and accelerate pattern, the car immediately leaves limp mode and operates properly. No matter what I did during the actual incidents with my car—from braking and accelerating while moving as well as when in neutral—nothing “cured” the car of limp mode.

I do not believe that I did that at the time of the incidents anyway. Each was from a standard stop. In any case, I do not believe that my car went into limp mode because of this brake and accelerate theory. I was accelerating only.

So, my car will be returned to me tomorrow (Tuesday) with nothing found. I was told that if the problem should happen again, they will supply me with a sort of black box (like on an airplane) that will monitor the car at all times. Of course, I expressed reservations about driving the car since nothing has been found. I also said that if nothing happens after a month of driving, I will begin to relax my fears and family driving restrictions—my wife doesn’t now drive it, and I don’t let my kids in the car either.

And that’s the way it is today. Comments? Suggestions?
I have a 6 G37X's in my rental fleet at work and we had problems with 1 of them. One of my customers called me to tell me he couldn't get it to accelerate and was having problems. He was driving it with "SNOW" turned on while on dry pavement, but he also said that he had his foot on the brake and hit the gas at the same time. I haven't tried to duplicate this, but it sounds like that was the problem with the one he had. I had him turn it off and then re-start and it was fine. I also had him turn the "SNOW" switch off also. Since then, I have heard of no further problems and all 6 of these cars are 6K+ so far. I think they may be onto something with the gas/brake thought.

I know the G37 and G35 are a bit different, I tried to go into the "setup" menu on the loaner G35 that I had to mess with the back up camera, the same way I do it on my coupe and it wouldn't work- I tried it numerous times with no avail, so there are some slight differences. (I know this has nothing to do with drivability of the car, but just saying there are differences...)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
elite

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
elite

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

HAHAHAHAHHA. The lemon car
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My G37xS was one of the first ones off the production line and one of the first ones into North America; it's running perfectly. I would think that if it's a problem with the design that the G37 Coupes and early Sedans would be experiencing it.

I know once or twice I've accidently brushed against the gas pedal with the side of my foot while my foot is on the brake and it causes the car to start "chugging".

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 02-10-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

^There is an G37x(S)?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
^There is an G37x(S)?
SEDAN, Yes.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
^There is an G37x(S)?
Yup, the G37xS is available as a Sedan only, you can't get it in the Coupe.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Chugger

Stranded 2

Just looked on the site as I am experiencing exactly the same issues as Stranded! I picked up my new G37x on Jan 2nd from Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary; 50kms after picking it up I experienced Stranded's symptoms, switched on and then off and everything was good again. Twice yesterday, 6 weeks old with 3,000kms, it happened again and almost resulted in getting squashed by a Semi! Car was dispatched on the back of a recovery truck to above dealership, who tell me they have reset the codes and can find no issue. Calgary only has one Infiniti dealership, so, I hope you can understand my surprise when the service rep stated that they had never experienced this issue before, having just read Stranded's story! I have had Acura's for the past 6 years with never an issue; my confidence has been severely shaken

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns