G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
stranded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the rever
This is my first post, and it's not a happy one.

I took delivery on an '09 G37x sedan (auto) early this month (January). Love the car. However, one week later the same thing happened to mine as described above. It happened as I drove the car from a snowy, slushy mix onto dry pavement. I was able to limp the car home. After waiting for 30 minutes, I restarted the car and it performed normally. I was told by the dealer that it was, perhaps, just a one time thing.

Yesterday (January 28) was another slushy day. After leaving my neighborhood (which means I left the slushy, unplowed areas for dry main arteries), I drove for ten minutes on dry streets and at speeds of up to sixty mph. Still on dry streets, I made a left turn (same as before) onto another dry street when the car began doing what it did three weeks previously. Surprised (especially because I was on dry streets), I pulled over to see if the engine would recover, but after five minutes of no change, I limped the car home. As before, I was very fortunate to be only two blocks from my home.

Once there, I left the engine running and called the dealership. I spoke with the service department and described in detail what was happening. With a rep on the phone, I revved the engine to 2,400 RPMs, and it began coughing and sputtering, unable to exceed it. The rep said he could hear the trouble, and asked me to turn off the engine and restart it. After doing that, the same trouble remained, so I parked the car and shut off the engine. The rep then gave me the Infiniti Roadside Assistance number, and suggested I call them in order to have the car transported to the dealership. However, after thirty minutes, I restarted the car and everything returned to normal. I drove the car to the dealership late this morning.

They put it through every diagnostic test they could and found nothing. They suspect that there is something wrong with a sensor or chip that forces the car into “fail safe mode” (something which protects the engine by hindering it), but cannot duplicate the problem.

My option was: 1) take the car home (I live more than an hour away), wait for it to happen again and the dealership would have it towed for testing. Problem: it’s dangerous. If, for example, I were to attempt a merge into speeding traffic and it happened, well, that’s a serious risk. I wouldn’t let my wife drive it, and I wouldn’t allow my kids in the car. Further, the car seems to re-set after the engine is off for a while, which means the problem would be over by the time it was towed to the dealership. No duplication. 2) leave the car at the dealership and accept a loaner. This means a rep will drive my car until the problem happens again. How long that will be, no one knows. Further, I am paying for a car I’m not driving. How long do I let them have it?

I chose option #2. They have my G37x, and I have their EX 35.

I have been treated very well—understanding and sympathy all around. No complaints at all, but I feel trapped. What would you recommend? Any ideas?

(By the way, it's platinum graphite, premium, navigation, illuminated kick plates, clear bra, cargo net, trunk carpet, glass breakage sensor, etc.)
sounds like we're in the same mess. The dealer wants the loaner car back (that's now doing the same thing) and will provide a rental car while they drive our G37X around with monitors until it acts up again. Unfortunately, I think this is going to get worse before it gets better, with more '09 cars showing the same problem, and most likely will result in a factory recall. Meanwhile, what are we supposed to drive that doesn't endanger our family. I'm meeting with my lawyer today, and will launch a lawsuit to get our money back.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
stranded

Originally Posted by CarAddict
the rever, you should ask/yell/force the dealership to change the sensor for you even if they can't duplicate the problem at that exact time! If this happened to you 2 3 times, I don't see why you should leave your car at the dealership for them to see it for themselves. I mean think of it this way, if they don't trust you and can't be sure that you really had the problem or not, then why should you trust them and leave your car with them! I know I wouldn't.

I believe many other people had the same issue with the 08! Do a search please! If I recall correctly, I believe it was the engine sensor or something like that! If the dealership is not willing to replace the part without duplicating the problem, then try another dealership if possible!

Good luck, welcome to the forum!
thanks for the advice. I'll search for that problem with the '08's; something you would think Infiniti would be capable of.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 AM
heff

Where are u located? ? ?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Keng

Maybe it's the AWD system...just guessing
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
the rever

Originally Posted by stranded
sounds like we're in the same mess. The dealer wants the loaner car back (that's now doing the same thing) and will provide a rental car while they drive our G37X around with monitors until it acts up again. Unfortunately, I think this is going to get worse before it gets better, with more '09 cars showing the same problem, and most likely will result in a factory recall. Meanwhile, what are we supposed to drive that doesn't endanger our family. I'm meeting with my lawyer today, and will launch a lawsuit to get our money back.
I very much appreciate the help I am getting from this thread. I passed the link along to my dealership and service consultant, and then read it with him over the phone. They're on it.

So we'll see how it goes. Let's stay together on this, okay?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

I very much appreciate the help I am getting from this thread. I passed the link along to my dealership and service consultant, and then read it with him over the phone. They're on it.

So we'll see how it goes. Let's stay together on this, okay?
Wow really
when I mention the forums to the service department where I go they don't take it seriously
they just think where all a bunch of picky bitches that don't know ****
but there's no doubt in my mind that we know more about this car then they do
Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
machinist

Keep me posted to any updates. I have a G37x that I purchased late Dec/08 and I've had no issues with it so far. I'll keep a close eye on it though going forward.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
stranded

This is my first post, and it's not a happy one.

I took delivery on an '09 G37x sedan (auto) early this month (January). Love the car. However, one week later the same thing happened to mine as described above. It happened as I drove the car from a snowy, slushy mix onto dry pavement. I was able to limp the car home. After waiting for 30 minutes, I restarted the car and it performed normally. I was told by the dealer that it was, perhaps, just a one time thing.

Yesterday (January 28) was another slushy day. After leaving my neighborhood (which means I left the slushy, unplowed areas for dry main arteries), I drove for ten minutes on dry streets and at speeds of up to sixty mph. Still on dry streets, I made a left turn (same as before) onto another dry street when the car began doing what it did three weeks previously. Surprised (especially because I was on dry streets), I pulled over to see if the engine would recover, but after five minutes of no change, I limped the car home. As before, I was very fortunate to be only two blocks from my home.

Once there, I left the engine running and called the dealership. I spoke with the service department and described in detail what was happening. With a rep on the phone, I revved the engine to 2,400 RPMs, and it began coughing and sputtering, unable to exceed it. The rep said he could hear the trouble, and asked me to turn off the engine and restart it. After doing that, the same trouble remained, so I parked the car and shut off the engine. The rep then gave me the Infiniti Roadside Assistance number, and suggested I call them in order to have the car transported to the dealership. However, after thirty minutes, I restarted the car and everything returned to normal. I drove the car to the dealership late this morning.

They put it through every diagnostic test they could and found nothing. They suspect that there is something wrong with a sensor or chip that forces the car into “fail safe mode” (something which protects the engine by hindering it), but cannot duplicate the problem.

My option was: 1) take the car home (I live more than an hour away), wait for it to happen again and the dealership would have it towed for testing. Problem: it’s dangerous. If, for example, I were to attempt a merge into speeding traffic and it happened, well, that’s a serious risk. I wouldn’t let my wife drive it, and I wouldn’t allow my kids in the car. Further, the car seems to re-set after the engine is off for a while, which means the problem would be over by the time it was towed to the dealership. No duplication. 2) leave the car at the dealership and accept a loaner. This means a rep will drive my car until the problem happens again. How long that will be, no one knows. Further, I am paying for a car I’m not driving. How long do I let them have it?

I chose option #2. They have my G37x, and I have their EX 35.

I have been treated very well—understanding and sympathy all around. No complaints at all, but I feel trapped. What would you recommend? Any ideas?

(By the way, it's platinum graphite, premium, navigation, illuminated kick plates, clear bra, cargo net, trunk carpet, glass breakage sensor, etc.)
Update: our '09 G37X has had the same problem three times: once at 4200 km (no error code), once at 4900 km (no error code), and the last time at 5400 km. The loaner '09 G37X they provided had the same problem at 4500 km (no error code). The last incident in my car triggered an error code that advised them the air flow control module needed to be replaced. The dealer performed this, and they have had my car since January 9, putting 1000 km on it with no further problem. However, the dealer admits that they do not know conclusively they have fixed the problem. I do not want the car back, as it took 4200 km for the first problem to show.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
stranded

Originally Posted by heff
Where are u located? ? ?
Calgary, Canada.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the Canadian model the same as the US one? I actually don't remember seeing any threads about 08s having this problem.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
stranded

Here's a laugh. After the loaner '09 developed the same problem, the dealer took that back (and couldn't find anything wrong with it), and provided me with a rental Ford Fusion. Now that's confidence in your product! They've had my car now for 25 days. And why did I buy an Infiniti?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help! I bought a new 2009 G37X in October, 2008 that currently has 5000 kms on it. It has had the same problem now three times, and the dealer can't find a fix. Randomly, the car will intermittently start chugging/ lurching and the revs will drop. If you keep the rpm at 2000, you can drive the car at 30 km/hr; any attempt at higher rpms and the car starts lurching. When you stop, it idles at about 1100 rpm, and smells very hot. If you stop and sit for 10 minutes, something resets, and the car runs fine. This is quite dangerous if you don't have anywhere to pull over, and/or at highway speeds. The dealer gave us a 2009 G37X loaner while ours is in the shop, and now the loaner (with 4500 kms on it) has just started doing the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Im not sure if Infiniti engineers designed the engine this way, but it sounds like a derate. This is common in diesel engines and its a way for the ECM to protect the engine when there is a problem detected by a sensor or some sort of ECM input. Derate is just what its named.. The ECM limits the fuel rate and only gives enough power to "limp" home or to the dealer, thus it "derates" power. If its intermittent limping, then you have a difficult problem to diagnose. Intermittent problems are by far the most difficult to find.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 AM
the rever

I have found an interesting thread over at G35driver.com.

It's about an '08 G35x, and although some of the circumstances are a bit different, it sounds like the same problem we're having.

To have a look, go here.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 PM
heff

Calgary, Canada.
try erickson infiniti in e town suposedly the bomb they are
Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
catlover52

Picked up our G37x sedan yesterday so this is scary to hear!

Should we share our production numbers to see if a pattern emerges?
Our VIN ends in 0051. Does this mean ours was the 51st? I asked the dealer to find a later build, so hoping I'm wrong.

Where exactly is the build date on the driver's door? I can't find it. (female, no garage & it's snowing today - so didn't lie on ground ...lol)

Does anyone know what month production began?

It's scary to think that this new car could go into this "fail-safe" mode as we drive on one of the worst sections of I-95 in CT. One needs full power to survive just the entry onto the hiway as the slow lane is used as a fast lane around here, even by trucks!

Hoping this is resolved soon so all can relax about this issue, & I'll certainly chime in if same trouble arises, but praying it won't. I have to admit that I will now never feel comfortable driving this car as it's obvious this isn't a one time thing with just one car... I think I'll keep driving our old '99 A6 2.8Q until this is resolved, but it will be difficult as sure looks pretty in the driveway.....and would love to test it in the snow today..

Quick Reply: 2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns