G37 Sedan

2009 G37X mechanical problems- safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Michelangelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the rever
I’m glad to have my car back, but I’m knocking on my dashboard (wood) that the problem will not happen again.

Here’s how the paperwork reads:

VEHICLE CUTS OUT WHILE DRIVING
DTS TT INSP VEH FOR INT LOSS OF PWR. NOT DUPLICATED AT THIS TIME. RPM ECM WITH LATEST AVAIL SFTWR. TEST DROVE 150+ MILES

MISC JOBS – Z9999

Now about the software update that addresses the rough deceleration from third to second gear (at about 22mph), my initial impression is OUTSTANDING. It is now nearly impossible to detect! All vehicles now coming off the assembly line have this software, of course. If you don’t have it, get it the next time your car is in for service—at least if this is a problem in your car. I’m very pleased by it.
Thanks for the update and for the info on the software updates. I got my car a little less than a month ago and the 3-2 downshift has always been smooth, so it appears I have the most current software. Hopefully that means I have the ECM update to deal with your other major issue and won't see that either.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Riley
Registered Member

...snip.... And that's what I like about this site: it's not just for young G modifiers and fan boys. It's also for older guys like me who want the best out of their cars.
Cool!
And older guys like me too. I've used car forums for my other cars as well and it's served me very well. It's a huge benefit to owners everywhere.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Riley
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Michelangelo
Thanks for the update and for the info on the software updates. I got my car a little less than a month ago and the 3-2 downshift has always been smooth, so it appears I have the most current software. Hopefully that means I have the ECM update to deal with your other major issue and won't see that either.

Good luck!
I think it's unlikely that your car will already have this fix. There's usually a large delay in the plant vs. the service world (but don't know for sure). Also they have a lot of inventory already hanging around. Maybe but don't count on it.....

It seems that a lot of guys don't complain about this at first and then it shows up later. Perhaps some fuzzy adaptive logic.

I don't even own a G37 yet but I'm getting pumped to pull the trigger.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Riley
I think it's unlikely that your car will already have this fix. There's usually a large delay in the plant vs. the service world (but don't know for sure). Also they have a lot of inventory already hanging around. Maybe but don't count on it.....

It seems that a lot of guys don't complain about this at first and then it shows up later. Perhaps some fuzzy adaptive logic.

I don't even own a G37 yet but I'm getting pumped to pull the trigger.

You'll love it when you do. I've had mine for four weeks now and I love it! I am another of the "older" owners and I am coming up on 2500 miles already and it is a dream.

The combination of power, handling and luxury is great. It definitely makes my 55 miles to and from work much more enjoyable. The only problem I have is keeping it under 100 on the toll-road. I'll be cruising along, look down and oops there it is again.

Honestly, the only problem I had was the wiper blades really suck. They leave lines in the water. So, I'll probably be heading down to get some new blades this weekend.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Herkypilot

Originally Posted by KLB
Honestly, the only problem I had was the wiper blades really suck. They leave lines in the water. So, I'll probably be heading down to get some new blades this weekend.

My wipers were about the same. I went to the dealer for another issue and mentioned the wipers and they said they will replace for free for the 1st 10K miles.

Thanks for the info on the flash update for the downshifting issue. I'll mention that next week when I'm at the dealer for an oil change. I do get the abrupt downshift on occassion. One thing I also noticed is if you hit the gas right at the time it is downshifting on a decel, I really get a clunk when it hits second gear! I've done this twice at a certain intersection that's somewhat up hill and I make a left turn so I don't come to a stop. The tranny downshifts just as I'm making the turn and use the gas and clunk! Somewhat irritating - it would be nice if this flash fixed it.

Btw, I sort of hate to mess with the tranny shifting as I just came back from a 600 mile round trip and was able to achieve 28.5 MPG on one measurment and 29.7 MPG (!!!) on the the return leg. I used pencil & paper for measurement. The second tank contained 10% ethonal which I don't really like but the car didn't seem to be affected by it.

I'll keep my 7 AT - love the MPG's for a pretty good performance car!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Herkypilot
My wipers were about the same. I went to the dealer for another issue and mentioned the wipers and they said they will replace for free for the 1st 10K miles.

Thanks for the info on the flash update for the downshifting issue. I'll mention that next week when I'm at the dealer for an oil change. I do get the abrupt downshift on occassion. One thing I also noticed is if you hit the gas right at the time it is downshifting on a decel, I really get a clunk when it hits second gear! I've done this twice at a certain intersection that's somewhat up hill and I make a left turn so I don't come to a stop. The tranny downshifts just as I'm making the turn and use the gas and clunk! Somewhat irritating - it would be nice if this flash fixed it.

Btw, I sort of hate to mess with the tranny shifting as I just came back from a 600 mile round trip and was able to achieve 28.5 MPG on one measurment and 29.7 MPG (!!!) on the the return leg. I used pencil & paper for measurement. The second tank contained 10% ethonal which I don't really like but the car didn't seem to be affected by it.

I'll keep my 7 AT - love the MPG's for a pretty good performance car!
Just curious, what were your speeds durining you great MPG's and how many miles do you have on the car? Are you AWD or RWD?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:01 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been doing some reading on the 7AT in the Benz's and they have some very similar issues -- 3-->2 "clunk" and harsh shifting ... some owner's are just plagued with units that are not being fixed w/ flash upgrades, etc (ML's, E's, etc).

I think the 7-spd's extra gears come at a certain price, but it should not jerk you around and cause harsh shifting ..

My mom's E320 4-matic would do all sorts of harsh shifting brand new (5AT) and sometimes you'd accelerate right as it was about to downshift and you'd get this BANG/CLUNK .. thought you'd just dropped yer tranny on the highway!

My G (so far, knock on wood) has been very smooth, with an occasional subtle noticeable 3-2 or 2-1 downshift when i brake aggressively. Still a wicked sweet ride
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 AM
njchen24

Thank you all for bring this problem up and your valuable comments.

I intend to get the G37x this week 05/23. Should I better wait or should I go for it?

What do you guys/gals think?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM
machinist

I say go for it and purchase it. I haven't had any issues as are mentioned in this thread about the X coupe. Just my .2
Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my .2 as well -- had my G for over 3 weeks now and none of these issues...
Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
RotaryRevn

I’m glad to have my car back, but I’m knocking on my dashboard (wood) that the problem will not happen again.

Here’s how the paperwork reads:

VEHICLE CUTS OUT WHILE DRIVING
DTS TT INSP VEH FOR INT LOSS OF PWR. NOT DUPLICATED AT THIS TIME. RPM ECM WITH LATEST AVAIL SFTWR. TEST DROVE 150+ MILES

MISC JOBS – Z9999

Now about the software update that addresses the rough deceleration from third to second gear (at about 22mph), my initial impression is OUTSTANDING. It is now nearly impossible to detect! All vehicles now coming off the assembly line have this software, of course. If you don’t have it, get it the next time your car is in for service—at least if this is a problem in your car. I’m very pleased by it.
The rever,

I went to my infinity dealership today regarding the flash upgrade on my 2009 sedan to help with rough deceleration. They did not show any flash updates available. They called the headquarters that issues the updates and they informed them that the issue is "under investigation" and that there is no fix at this time. Can you please provide more info on your flash update or maybe just the name and phone number of the dealership you visited as well as the tech's name so I can try and get the info needed on this update.

thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
sbebs2000

bump - anybody hear anything official on this? My dealer said they have not heard about this at all?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 AM
G37beijing

WOW! What a great forum!

My 2009 G37 Journey (7AT, 4 Dr, stock, 9,800 miles) had the same problem on Nov 17, 2009. Initially I thought I was alone and posted a new thread "Weird Bogging at Highway Speeds". Today I was just searching around and found this thread detailing similar problems. I feel better now because I can show some proof to the local dealer that mine is not an isolated incident. I hope I'm getting closer to the bottom of the problem. Thanks to you all.