G37 Sedan

Choosing AWD vs RWD after FWD...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
GTRvs911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing AWD vs RWD after FWD...

ok ok it's not what you think, not another "what's better" from traction stand point. I don't believe in all season tires as they suck in summer and winter. However, I do want to have AWD. Here are a few questions I have for you owners.

While I might not encounter much snow here in NJ, rain is another story. My FWD cars absolutely suck in rain. Even 120 hp Matrix spins tires from stop and in turns (I do have heavy foot). Does RWD do the same? I realized rear tires are wider on RWD and car leans back when accelerating pushing rear tires down adding more traction while the opposite happens with FWD. But how do two compare? It seems AWD is obvious choice in this scenario.

Another question is how much different suspension is in AWD vs. sport package. I test drove G37 with sport package, and the ride was ok comfort wise. I didn't have much chance to see the limits, or even take any hard corners. How much sofer or worse is AWD suspension is? The reason I'm asking is because on 335 AWD the suspension is supposedly terrible, many on the forums complain and get coilovers to make it handle better, plus 335 AWD has much bigger wheel gap. Is it the same story with Infiniti?

Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: I realized this is my firts post, I've been looking on this forum a few years ago but never posted...so hello everybody!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 AM
w0ady

vdc (traction control) helps a ton as long as you arent flooring it everywhere.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Comiha22

1) Welcome to the forum. It's a good group, with a lot of useful information.

2) I previously had an 07 G35S, and just got an 09 G37S, neither with AWD. I live in DC, so we get some decent rain in the Summer & Fall. As you said, AWD would be the obvious choice if you were legitimately concerned about driving in the rain. That being said, I'm a 'purist' and chose to keep the RWD, which has served me well thus far. I also agree with w0ady - the VDC is quite good in the elements, and the Bridgestone Potenzas are pretty good in the rain as well.

My personal solution has been to run the Potenzas in the Summer, and Blizzack LM-25s in the Winter. Matter of fact, I just got the new Blizzacks put on last night.

3) The 2007 Sport Package was supposedly a much harsher ride than the base or AWD version. I had it, and thought it was more performance-feeling, but not necessarily harsher. My 2009 Sport does seem to feel a bit smoother than the 07 did.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
BiskitG37

Welcome to the forum

I have a coupe, and live in FL with daily torrential rains in the summer. I can honestly say that the RWD with VDC on has handled it with no problems. I definitely had more problems sliding and hydroplaning with the FWD cars that I've had.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM
AAMC

Originally Posted by Comiha22
1) Welcome to the forum. It's a good group, with a lot of useful information.

2) I previously had an 07 G35S, and just got an 09 G37S, neither with AWD. I live in DC, so we get some decent rain in the Summer & Fall. As you said, AWD would be the obvious choice if you were legitimately concerned about driving in the rain. That being said, I'm a 'purist' and chose to keep the RWD, which has served me well thus far. I also agree with w0ady - the VDC is quite good in the elements, and the Bridgestone Potenzas are pretty good in the rain as well.

My personal solution has been to run the Potenzas in the Summer, and Blizzack LM-25s in the Winter. Matter of fact, I just got the new Blizzacks put on last night.

3) The 2007 Sport Package was supposedly a much harsher ride than the base or AWD version. I had it, and thought it was more performance-feeling, but not necessarily harsher. My 2009 Sport does seem to feel a bit smoother than the 07 did.

Hope this helps.
I'm a "purist" also. I wanted the 6MT, and never really wanted AWD anyway. I'm having Blizzaks installed tomorrow. The car will do fine with the limited amount of snow we receive in St. Louis anyway.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Some suggestions for an AS tire that don't suck in summer are the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. They were awesome in the summer and provide the necesary traction in the winter to keep you firmly planted when its below 40 degrees. They are still not that great for snow but definitely better than summer tires.
But if you get AWD you will have much more confidence in inclement weather. While having the sport version of the G37 coupe and taking a loaner w/o the sport package it feels wierd w/o the sport package. There is a bit more body roll and suspension travel. I think that you will strongly prefer the sport suspension set up. Its not a harsh ride at all but it just feels more controlled even in normal driving situations.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 12-18-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:09 PM
GTRvs911

EDIT: Thanks for the welcomes. I love car forums.

I would love a sport package if I could use it, but I don't commute by car. My daily driving is 4 miles each way to/from the gym on crappy NJ local roads with huge holes. Barely on the weekends I might do highway driving, again with crappy roads. So as you can see I don't think I would be able to utilize sport suspension what it was made for, and prolly get annoyed from bumpy ride, and scuffing or even bending those nice 19's. I came from 01' Solara, far from sporty ride, but I did like the fact that I did realy care if went over holes of speedbums too fast. I had summer low profile 18's with summer performance tires, huge difference from stock all-seasons Michelins. However, those summer tires were terrible when bellow 50-60 degrees esp. in rain.

I also too 135i conv. for a test drive with 17 inch rims and sport suspension, hit a hole on a highway, I thought car was gonna fall apart. I understad the benefits of the sporty ride, when you have the roads, but in my case I'm leaning towards SUV type ride and go anywhere ability.

Actually want to take a look at new MB GLK that's coming out. I like the style, and price isn't bad for an SUV.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
yes all the AWD cars usually have a higher wheel clearance. I'd test out the G37x and see if you will enjoy it. If you have another mean of transportation, i'd stick w/ the rwd
Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
GTRvs911

Originally Posted by da mayor
yes all the AWD cars usually have a higher wheel clearance. I'd test out the G37x and see if you will enjoy it. If you have another mean of transportation, i'd stick w/ the rwd
Only one car. Ideally I would have big SUV and something like 135/TT/G37S Coupe. Me and my wife to be share one car, 5 year old Toyota Matrix. Both of us take public tranportation to work everyday. Car is for daily gym trips, and weekend get aways, and whatever else it might be needed for.

The thing is I haven't noted G or EX sitting that high. I actully wish EX would sit a bit higher and be rather SUV than G35 wagon.