G37 Sedan

Considering a G37 Sedan - Some ?s for the Board

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
ERM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a G37 Sedan - Some ?s for the Board

I test drove the G37 the other day and was impressed with it. I'm looking for a fun ride w/ a stick and this seems to fit the bill. I'm looking at the Sport. Just some questions:

1) The nav controls seem a little far away - are there any controls on the steering wheel for it?
2) I know brake dust is imminent, but just curious if owners find that it accumulates pretty quickly.
3) In some of the reviews I've read they comment that there is an abrupt clutch engagement. I didn't notice this on the test drive, but anyone have issues with the clutch?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Last edited by ERM; 12-02-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ERM
I test drove the G37 the other day and was impressed with it. I'm looking for a fun ride w/ a stick and this seems to fit the bill. I'm looking at the Sport. Just some questions:

1) The nav controls seem a little far away - are there any controls on the steering wheel for it?
2) I know brake dust is imminent, but just curious if owners find that it accumulates pretty quickly.
3) In some of the reviews I've read they comment that there is an abrupt clutch engagement. I didn't notice this on the test drive, but anyone have issues with the clutch?

I've got a 5AT Coupe, so I can't answer #3, but as afar as #1 & #2 go:

1. No problem reaching the nav system. Some controls are on the stering wheel.

2. I have zero brake dust problems with this car.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
1) Minor functions on the steering wheel. But you do have Voice Command for most functions and those can be initiated via the steering wheel Voice Command button. Agree with above. The Nav area isn't out of reach for me either.

2) Very little brake dust.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
ERM

Thanks guys - I appreciate it. That's good to hear about the brake dust. My wife has a C350 and you wouldn't believe how fast the brake dust accumulates. I like to keep my cars clean so it can become a chore to keep up with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Tarkus

Switch to ceramic pads like Akebono for dust problems.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM
AAMC

Brake dust isn't a problem. I've had my car for a month, and unfortunately have not had time to wash it with 1700 on the odometer. The clutch feel is much better. I came from an 03 Altima with avery stiff clutch. The 37 is easy to drive.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
G-Pimp

Originally Posted by ERM

on this car, there is seriously no brake dust. my 04 G35 had so much freakin brake dust and coupled with the chrome rims it was difficult to keep it clean. But now
Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Infiniti actually has more aggressive pads available for the Akebono brakes, whicih are standard on the FX50 w/ Sport Package now. I'm sure it'll work fine on the G37s as well
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ERM

Let me give you some more COMPLETE information.

1. COMPLETE navigation controls are available from the steering wheel. You do not ever have to actually touch the center stack for 100% functionality of the nagivation.

This can be accessed by HOLDING down the enter button; a menu will pop up with corresponding choices for buttons on the center stack. (This is an undocumented feature I ran across accidentally a year ago).

2. Just wash the car regularly and it won't be a problem. Dusting is fairly minimal for a performance luxury sedan.

3. Clutch engagement is no problem once you get used to it. Pedal feel is different from the 07 to the 08 to the 09. Each year saw an improvement.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
G37USR

Is it true cars with higher performance braking power have more dust like mercedes, and bmw's.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
It all depends on the pad.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Whoa! I had no idea about the holding enter function on the steering wheel. Bout go to outside and try that one.

2) I have the 37 with the sport package and aftermarket rims, and i have yet to notice unusual amounts of brake dust.

3) The abrupt clutch engagement was probably from a lame driver. As you said, you noticed it was just fine. The engagement point is very easy to live with IMO and its a good thing your opting for a 6spd, you won't regret it.

Goodluck on your future purchase dude.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
This can be accessed by HOLDING down the enter button; a menu will pop up with corresponding choices for buttons on the center stack. (This is an undocumented feature I ran across accidentally a year ago).
*Runs outside to try it*
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
bunluvsvw

Look around and pay attention, you dont see any G sedans or coupes with a black front wheel, but you see it all the time on Lexus Is and MB C class.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike@riverside
It mentions this feature in the navigation manaul for my car.