G37 Sedan

G37 RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37MA
I have had both a 2008G37S and a 2009G37X both coupes. I haven't driven the X in snow but I can say that the S was not going anywhere in the snow with the stock tires.
The stock tires on the S are summer tires. Anyone using summer tires in snow or in temperatures below 40 degrees is asking for trouble.

Also when I ordered my car in NJ I only waited 3weeks. My dealer got me the car from Florida.
If you are planning to trade in a car you use every day. Waiting can be difficult. Because added miles to your car will lower the negotiated trade in price. My sales rep asked me not to add any more than 500 miles. Luckily in my wait period I parked the G35xS in my driveway and used my Zonda, just kidding it's my trusty back-up car a 94 Honda Accord.

But if I didn't have a back-up car any kind of wait period would not have been easy.

Last edited by gugarci; 07-22-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added Content
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Mike P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you buy this car in RWD when the ATTESA drive system is so impressive. We had a storm in Indy that was around 14+ inches. I was getting to places that the Hummers were looking at me kind of funny and thinking things like, "how's that car gtting around better than me." Getting RWD is like eating only half a sandwich. Why do that. I would not consider a RWD car. When I bought these my two G's (both in AWD) I was only considering an AWD. I drove all of them. The Acura was nice but way slow. The BMW was nice but too expensive. The Audi was nice but again way expensive. Any Amercian AWD was out of the question, since most of thier systems are not as safisticated as the ATTESSA. In this price category nothing compares. Even the Audi and BMW systems are not as good as the Nissan system. This is probably one of the best engineeering items that Nissan has ever done. I undersatnd that most real sports cars are RWD but just look at the fact that Porche and others offer AWD. The AWD versions turn much better times than the RWD counterparts. I know weight matters, but traction is the most important thing to car. RWD is a thing of the past. FWD is a thing for small fuel efficient cars. AWD is for racing and safety. Let me know the next time you drive the RWD in the rain. Forget the snow, it rains more everywhere than it snows. Punch the gas through a turn and see what happens. You'll be spinning like a top. Then see what your mind will be doing in the next rain storm! Don't need snow to spin out, just need rain. It rains a bunch in TX and FL. This does not even take into account the handling capabilities in agressive situation or to avoid an accident. The AWD will always win that one. Real sports cars may be RWD but they are rarely out in the inclimate conditions (rain and snow) and are mostly on the road during nice sunny days. There may be areason for that.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
G37-6MT

I'm glad you like your car. The G is based on the FM platform. I could be wrong, but I thought the FM platform was originally designed as RWD only. Infiniti eventually realized the avg. driver didn't want RWD only (because it's harder to control) and would pay more for AWD. Offering AWD helped them sell more cars. They didn't offer AWD to increase the G's sport or racing appeal. If they did, they would offer a true sport package and manual transmission on the X. Let's not forget that.

This debate could go on for years. AWD was offered to sell more cars. I'm just glad Infiniti realized the true car enthusiast wants RWD and they still offer it (if you can find one).
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have all been over this before. AWD is an extra 200lbs or more which kills performance. Its awesome in the snow (partially due to all season tires it comes with), but it does not make your car a hummer or wrangler. As for driving in the rain, i don't see how AWD helps. If I understand correctly, the car is 100% rear once it gets to a certain speed (12mph?) so while it helps you launch, once on the way, you are basically RWD + 200+ lbs which upsets the F/R weight distribution . If you spin out at high speed, AWD will not save you. If you try to stop, again AWD will not save you. Hopefully vdc will help, but in my experiance, RWD Gs handle just fine in the rain and have excellenet traction where as all G's can easily get sideways if you get stupid in a high speed turn. I think AWD is for snow starts. That's all.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
G37MA

Is it really only on under 12mph? I don't see how this is logical because then we would be sliding all over the place just like the RWD's. I don't think all seasons make that much of a difference.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Mixman

I live in NJ and didn't feel the need for the G37AWD. I feel it's a half assed AWD system, unlike the Quattro from Audi. It is a part time system. I am coming from an GS300 AWD which has a permanent 30/70 AWD system and when it detects slippage will go 50/50. I just feel that at least here in NJ it wasn't worth giving up the positive aspects of the Sport model for the AWD.

Here in the NE it is so hard to get a sport model, but I did, even at a slight premium because of the better brakes, wheels and looks. Now I have to decide if I will put all seasons on my G or snow tires. Snows are going to be rough as I don't have any place to store a set of tires.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by G37MA
Is it really only on under 12mph? I don't see how this is logical because then we would be sliding all over the place just like the RWD's. I don't think all seasons make that much of a difference.
If I understand correctly, (I am no expert on attesa) its always on at some ratio (70:30??) up to 12mph and after that its "on demand" when you need it. which means as you are taking a turn in the rain at say 50mph its off until you break traction, at which point its too late. I don't know about your car, but with vdc dissabled i get all kinds of brief fishtails if a floor it in the rain at any speed over 20 or so, where as off the line even with vdc off it won't even spin one tire for a second. Sad but I am afraid true. Again, I welcome a more educated opinion.

Overall I agree with Mixman that for some people the AWD is just not worth it. For me it came down to dollars and cents and I could not wait two months as I don't have another car. Apples to apples I would have gotten an S not an XS.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike P
Why would you buy this car in RWD when the ATTESA drive system is so impressive. We had a storm in Indy that was around 14+ inches. I was getting to places that the Hummers were looking at me kind of funny and thinking things like, "how's that car gtting around better than me." Getting RWD is like eating only half a sandwich. Why do that. I would not consider a RWD car. When I bought these my two G's (both in AWD) I was only considering an AWD. I drove all of them. The Acura was nice but way slow. The BMW was nice but too expensive. The Audi was nice but again way expensive. Any Amercian AWD was out of the question, since most of thier systems are not as safisticated as the ATTESSA. In this price category nothing compares. Even the Audi and BMW systems are not as good as the Nissan system. This is probably one of the best engineeering items that Nissan has ever done. I undersatnd that most real sports cars are RWD but just look at the fact that Porche and others offer AWD. The AWD versions turn much better times than the RWD counterparts. I know weight matters, but traction is the most important thing to car. RWD is a thing of the past. FWD is a thing for small fuel efficient cars. AWD is for racing and safety. Let me know the next time you drive the RWD in the rain. Forget the snow, it rains more everywhere than it snows. Punch the gas through a turn and see what happens. You'll be spinning like a top. Then see what your mind will be doing in the next rain storm! Don't need snow to spin out, just need rain. It rains a bunch in TX and FL. This does not even take into account the handling capabilities in agressive situation or to avoid an accident. The AWD will always win that one. Real sports cars may be RWD but they are rarely out in the inclimate conditions (rain and snow) and are mostly on the road during nice sunny days. There may be areason for that.
Flooring it in a RWD with VDC on will result in the same turning capability as a AWD. The ONLY thing AWD assists with, is acceleration. Turning, handling, and braking are all negatively affected. Being able to apply torque to the front wheels does not affect the amount of lateral grip available to the tire.

I understand that you regularly utilize your AWD, but most people do not. VDC works wonders.

And, the Audi system is arguably superior to the G's. The G's is electronically controlled, while the (classic) Audi's is mechanical.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
sammie

For me, it comes down to the transmission. I don't want the slush box! So, I am willing to forgo the added convenience of AWD in MN in order to get the manual transmission.

I have a friend who drives a '03 G35 with all season tires and he has never had a problem. He bought it new. Before buying he drove the car through 6" of snow to get a sense of the traction and it did just fine, unlike some BMW people we know.

With LSD, traction control, VDC, and proper winter tires, I am have no qualms about going RWD so that I can row.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Mike P

Originally Posted by Mike
Flooring it in a RWD with VDC on will result in the same turning capability as a AWD. The ONLY thing AWD assists with, is acceleration. Turning, handling, and braking are all negatively affected. Being able to apply torque to the front wheels does not affect the amount of lateral grip available to the tire.

I understand that you regularly utilize your AWD, but most people do not. VDC works wonders.

And, the Audi system is arguably superior to the G's. The G's is electronically controlled, while the (classic) Audi's is mechanical.

If AWD is so inferior then why would the Skyline be AWD? Why would every car not be RWD? I also beg to differ with the liability of the AWD. How can it not help in a hard turn? If torque is applied to the front of the car during a spin out and the wheels get traction, how does that not help? I guess I am confused over this hole RWD thing. I figure it's personal preference.

I also think that there is no system out there today that is not electronically controlled. Why don't we just go back to carborators, since electronic control is so bad?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If AWD drive was so superior compared to RWD then why don't they use AWD cars in Formula 1???
We can go on, and on forever. Both have their good and bad points.

I have driven my 09 RWD sedan already through many, many rain storm this season with no issues at all. In fact the summer tires in 09 RWD S package sedan perform better in the rain than the all-seasons stock tires in the xS.

I drove an 08 G35xS for close to a year. The xS compared to my current 09 G37S sedan felt like a big heavy car. You would need drive both cars back to back to feel the dramatic difference in weight. One car feels lighter and nimble compared to the other.

Why are there fewer RWD cars now compared to FWD and AWD cars??? The answer is really simple, It's for safety reasons.
It's harder to get into trouble driving a FWD or a AWD compared to a RWD car.

Why is that???
Because AWD and FWD cars tend to under-steer, which keeps the population safe. RWD cars tend to over-steer. You can't have fun under-steering through corners. But you can lots of fun over steering through those same corners if you know how to drive. Also the quicker ratio sport steering in the 09 S package is worth the price of admission to the RWD S package.

IMO RWD cars are just more fun and rewarding to drive. The same way a proper gearbox with a clutch will always be more fun to drive compared to any floppy paddle gearbox.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike P
If AWD is so inferior then why would the Skyline be AWD? Why would every car not be RWD? I also beg to differ with the liability of the AWD. How can it not help in a hard turn? If torque is applied to the front of the car during a spin out and the wheels get traction, how does that not help? I guess I am confused over this hole RWD thing. I figure it's personal preference.

I also think that there is no system out there today that is not electronically controlled. Why don't we just go back to carborators, since electronic control is so bad?
If we look back at the 90's JDM sports cars we have the following list

Supra Turbo JZA80(FR, 2ws)
RX-7 FD3S(FR, 2ws)
Skyline GT-R (FAWD longitudinal mount)
GTO (FAWD transverse mount, 4ws)
300ZX Z32 (RWD, 4ws)
NSX (MR, 2ws)
MR2 SW20 (MR, 2ws)
Lancer Evolution (FAWD, transverse mount)
Impreza WRX (FAWD, longitudinal mount)

AWD doesn't seem to have been a determining factor, other than having a big influence in lauch and/or off road conditions. It's not necessarily a detractor to performance. It can help with corner exit in that you can put more power to the ground before losing traction. However, it comes with additional complexity, additional drivetrain loss, and additional weight.

In regards to turning, remember, your front tires do all the work in turning (unless you have 4ws). The tires have a limited amount of grip, and when you are turning, braking, or accelerating, you are using a portion of this grip. If you overcome the grip, then you lose traction (spinning the wheels, understeering, and locking them up under braking). If you turn and brake at the same time, what happens? You understeer. If you turn and gas at the same time, you'll likely spin out. AWD prevents the spinout by combining the grip of the rear with whatever grip is available in the front factoring in the turning. (e.g. the Front tires have Z amount of grip. X is used for turning, and Y is use for accelerating. If at any time X + Y > Z, then you have traction loss). However, if there is enough power, then even AWD won't mitigate traction loss.

The only non-electronic AWD system in use today in a common production vehicle is the AWD in Subarus. (STI not included, as you can electronically control F/R torque split. Strangely, Audi is the reverse, and ONLY the center diff is mechanical, and their F/R diffs are electronicaly locking open diffs, and Subaru/Audi are the two companies that heavily market AWD).
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Alex57r

In theory all this makes sense, but don't forget that AWD also upset the F/R weight bias. Motor trend reviewing the XS actually said that in handling tests, the rear was more eager to step out than the RWD car.

THis debate is endless, but I think we can agree that an S is at least somewhat superior in performance to an X, but when it comes to snow starts and all season tires AWD > RWD. Surely you can have two sets of tires or you can just slip and slide your way around town but why bother? If 0.4 seconds and .04Gs mean the world to you then S is the way to go, if you prefer a softer suspension (I do) and all season tires + AWD but want the sporty look then there is the XS. There is a car out there for everyone.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:05 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Alex57r
In theory all this makes sense, but don't forget that AWD also upset the F/R weight bias. Motor trend reviewing the XS actually said that in handling tests, the rear was more eager to step out than the RWD car.

THis debate is endless, but I think we can agree that an S is at least somewhat superior in performance to an X, but when it comes to snow starts and all season tires AWD > RWD. Surely you can have two sets of tires or you can just slip and slide your way around town but why bother? If 0.4 seconds and .04Gs mean the world to you then S is the way to go, if you prefer a softer suspension (I do) and all season tires + AWD but want the sporty look then there is the XS. There is a car out there for everyone.
Well put, and I am with you on the suspension and AWD. I won't have another car without AWD. These country roads in NW Indiana can be a mess in the winter.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
G37-6MT

Originally Posted by Alex57r
If 0.4 seconds and .04Gs mean the world to you then S is the way to go, if you prefer a softer suspension (I do) and all season tires + AWD but want the sporty look then there is the XS. There is a car out there for everyone.
You are minimizing the differences. There’s more to it than just a faster car that pulls harder on the skidpad. There is a subjective side to this that cannot be measured on paper.

The RWD is lighter and feels more nimble. It handles better and feels more aggressive with the sport suspension, lighter weight, and better tires. The steering ratio makes the steering feel more responsive and aggressive. The brakes feel better and look better. The LSD feels good and helps with handling. The lower ride height looks more aggressive. The red “S” badge means something on the RWD car and reminds me that I actually got something beyond cosmetics for purchasing an “S” model.

I’ve been following the progression of this car over the years. I always thought it was lame that the coupe was the only car that received a true sport package. I’m glad Infiniti went the distance in 2009 and added the coupe brakes and steering ratio. It was these changes that helped push me towards my purchase.

As for the sport suspension being rough compared to the AWD, that’s highly subjective. I think the sport suspension is a bit soft and has a some unwanted body roll. Another reason I’m glad I don’t have the base suspension. The sport is ride is an excellent compromise for a street car, but could use some further upgrades if used as a track car.

Last edited by G37-6MT; 07-27-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: G37 RWD vs AWD