G37 Sedan

G37 RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Wirebolt you have this way of talking that's just so authoritative, so final, and so knowledgable. You could sell water to a fish bro! I like that. I think you were even one of my motivating factors to vote for Obama actually.

Thanks, but you've left me a at loss for words...

I need to regroup-

I have confidence your vote was the correct one.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

He knows his shit!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Evangelo2

Originally Posted by zman1910
RWD is just plain scary in adverse conditions regardless of tire setup. Winter snow tires do make a big difference but not enough to offset the advantages of AWD.
Strongly disagree with this. My current 6MT G35 Coupe has 18" snow tires and I live in NY. No problems at all. Traction is just as good as anyone else out there. The AWD might have better traction when starting but that's about it.
I was out in the light 2" dusting we got last night without a single problem.
-Evangelo2
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
awd is definitely not just for snow,(really helps though)
think gtr,

it helps performance in every way (except for weight, & thats negligible)
Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Boomer

New guy here so don't shoot the messenger.....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
In my humble opinion, AWD in this car seems to allow me to get on the gas earlier in a turn, and carry more speed. If the inside front wheel is clawing for traction while the rears are pushing at full tilt, doesn't it seem obvious that an AWD car will outperform a RWD or FWD vehicle in most situations? Launching is easy in this car. In slick conditions, the AWD does come into play at any speed concerning stability. Until I purchased my 09xS, I had always drove FWD cars. I never felt the need for dedicated snow tires even in snowy conditions here in NY, and we get plenty of the white stuff. The reason I chose the AWD is all of the other situations that it could help with. Will anyone argue that Subaru will have a harder time climbing a mountain road in slippery conditions more than a Crown Vic? Nope. Did Nissan make the GTR AWD for its snow prowess? Nope. It is traction my friends. In the dry it allows the driver to carry more speed, in the rain it gives more traction to combat the ooooops. In the snow, there is no question it is better. On ice, nothing works.<o></o>
<o></o>
I have to say, I drove the new Acura TL SHAWD, and was impressed by its handling. But after the nap I took waiting for the engine to get up to speed, I went over to the nearest Infiniti dealer and placed my order. The AWD in the G is far superior to that of the TL. Not to mention that it has loads more power to the wheels. <o></o>
Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 AM
iiiiiekoiiiii

Originally Posted by Mike
RWD will set off VDC from a standing start, AWD will not, even with all-season tires.
I know im really late on this But In my 06x I chirp 4 wheels of jump or rollin start, and with VDC on, my slip light goes on till 30-40mph. lol
VDC OFF ftw! =]
And Im still not tuned
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
upperdecker

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I took delivery of an 09X two weeks ago, and I am very enamored with the car. Is there, however, any way to "overcome" the AWD and get the tires to chirp or squeal from a standing start? I tried to accelerate pretty hard with the VDC disabled, but I didn't manage to spin at all.

On one hand, I know that not losing traction is very good: it's what the car is designed to do. On the other hand, it would be fun to hear a little chirp now and then. Am I just not jamming it hard enough?

That actually brings up another question. Assuming I'm not terribly worried about the break in period--which I'm not--is there a risk to the engine in flooring it from a standing start?

(I have a feeling I am going to get flamed for this...)

Tom
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
G37-6MT

I'll bite. Your car is approx. 170lbs. heavier than the RWD version. Both the motor is not loaded with low-end torque. AWD saps more power to the wheels. Full throttle starts tell the ECU to place power to all four wheels. That's the way Infiniti programmed the car.

It would be nice if you could lock it to 100% RWD at the driver's option.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maan this is an old thread. I have an 09XS and I understand exactly what you mean. Unfortunately the answer is no peeling out.. lol

If you turn of traction control, you will sometimes chirp tires on a 1-2 shifts as teh AWD system lets go after 12mph. Up to 12, forget it

At least some of us got AWD cars becasue no RWDs were available, but got used to them and accepted our fate. You will too. Wait until winter when we will be driving and they will be spinning.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:21 PM
G37MA

I have had both a 2008G37S and a 2009G37X both coupes. I haven't driven the X in snow but I can say that the S was not going anywhere in the snow with the stock tires. Now before you flame me I could see to many situations where it wouldn't have mattered what tires I had, it wasn't going to get through the snow and there are a lot more days than you think where its snowing, maybe not covering the road but enough that it makes you nervous. If your going up a steep hill in a little bit of snow in the S, blizzaks aren't going to make a difference.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Triple_X

look at it this way, while the rear wheel drive cars are spinning and chirping, the AWD is already hitting second gear
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Late for the party but here is my two cents...

I picked up the X for snow, even though I only have to deal with really bad weather less than 15 times a year, I still need to get out. I do have a hill with a 40-50% grade that I need to get up to get out of my subdivision. Even with a front wheel drive car that can get really hairy espcially with the idots that decide they need to stop right in the middle of it! Also have to worry about people sliding back into you. It can get really interesting really quick. Hell if it get's really bad, the police close the road... But I would love to see a RWD car with snows go up that, already seen a 5 series BMW slide back down (really funny to see the fear in the guys face )
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Alex57r

I have had many rear wheel drive cars and YES you can drive them in the snow with lots of skill and even more aggravation, but why? If you live in the snow belt, summer tires are not for you. People just please remember that AWD will not necessarily help you turn or stop on snow or ice so dont think you are in a Hummer H1... LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM
G37-6MT

Originally Posted by Alex57r
At least some of us got AWD cars becasue no RWDs were available, but got used to them and accepted our fate. You will too.
I don't understand your comment. I live in the midwest and searched for RWD for a few months. There were only two RWD sports in the Chicagoland area. It was crazy how many AWD cars were in stock, but I never felt like I had no choice. My choices were to wait for RWD or purchase a different car.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Alex57r

Ok, well yes I could have waited 3 months and paid a few grand more for a RWD car. I am calling that "no choice" becasue it was not a reasonable option. Bottom line is, no dealer in the NY tri state area had a RWD for 2 months and all I heard is BS stories. No one actually agreed to order a car for me with any wait time unless I was willing to pay significantly more than what AWD's they had in stock + wait an indefinite amount of time. Some people actually placed orders then cancelled them after a month or two of waiting. There are threads on this.

Quick Reply: G37 RWD vs AWD