G37 Sedan

motortrend test data 09 G37S sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 AM
trebien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyg
Don't believe a thing C&D says concerning numbers.............they are often wrong. Launch the coupe right and the sedan cant keep up.
Moron.

Same chassis, same power, same gearing, same transmissions, sedan weighs less.

Which would be faster? Every time...
Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
gthal

Don't believe a thing C&D says concerning numbers.............they are often wrong. Launch the coupe right and the sedan cant keep up.
First off... I believe the sedan is faster... same engine but lighter. The coupe just isn't as fast...

BUT... who cares? Why is everyone so concerned about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. If that was the primary reason for buying your car there are MANY cars that are faster for similar money (get yourself a used corvette or something with REAL power if 0-60 times are your reason for buying a car). I bought the coupe because it is far sportier and better looking than the sedan. I didn't need the extra trunk or passenger capacity and don't care if the sedan is 0.4 seconds faster to 60. I have more fun driving the coupe day in and day out cause it is way sexier.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
086mt

Originally Posted by gthal
First off... I believe the sedan is faster... same engine but lighter. The coupe just isn't as fast...

BUT... who cares? Why is everyone so concerned about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. If that was the primary reason for buying your car there are MANY cars that are faster for similar money (get yourself a used corvette or something with REAL power if 0-60 times are your reason for buying a car). I bought the coupe because it is far sportier and better looking than the sedan. I didn't need the extra trunk or passenger capacity and don't care if the sedan is 0.4 seconds faster to 60. I have more fun driving the coupe day in and day out cause it is way sexier.
I completely agree with the second half of your post. If the ONLY reason you bought this car was to race, you wasted your money. What I disagree with is with the post above you. The sedan only weigh's 50lbs more. Do you honestly think that's enough to make a difference "every time" ? That means if 250lb person in a sedan was racing against a 150lb person in the coupe now the coupe has the 50lb advantage, I mean c'mon these aren't race cars where every pound counts.Sure it has a SLIGHT advantage on weight. But in the real world, not the magazines, it's a driver's race, this is coming from experience.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Shuric
The Mad Russian.

Originally Posted by gthal

Those are the exact reasons i got a sedan But i agree, the whole 0-60 discussion is silly, there is so much more to these cars: they are great GT cars, great as a DD, luxury, tech.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 PM
johnnyg

Moron? Really.
Here is what I know. The weight difference is negligible. Easily overcome with driving skills and a proper launch.For canyon carving, the sedan has a higher center of gravity, less aggressive rolling stock and a more aggressive throttle tip in. There has been several comments in car mags that the sedan, both G35 and G37, have a faster feel from the abrupt throttle tip in. Thats the upside, the down side is that the top end is not as strong and the handling not as sharp as the coupe. Also in the 1/4 the coupe has a higher trap speed and that will make up for any deficiencies from a launch if the launch was bad. In real word driving the coupe is quicker. So before you go throwing insults in this forum do your research A$$clown.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:03 PM
AlterZgo

Moron? Really.
Here is what I know. The weight difference is negligible. Easily overcome with driving skills and a proper launch.For canyon carving, the sedan has a higher center of gravity, less aggressive rolling stock and a more aggressive throttle tip in. There has been several comments in car mags that the sedan, both G35 and G37, have a faster feel from the abrupt throttle tip in. Thats the upside, the down side is that the top end is not as strong and the handling not as sharp as the coupe. Also in the 1/4 the coupe has a higher trap speed and that will make up for any deficiencies from a launch if the launch was bad. In real word driving the coupe is quicker. So before you go throwing insults in this forum do your research A$$clown.
The first post in this thread says it all. Specs for a G37 sedan 7AT are:
0-60: 5.0s
1/4 mile: 13.5s @ 105.3 mph
EPA mpg: 18/26

I'm curious where you get the impression that the coupe has a higher trap speed. I believe 105.3 mph is probably the highest trap speed tested for a bone-stock 1st or 2nd gen G35/37 sedan or coupe.

As for the stuff about abrupt throttle tip in being exclusive to the sedans and the top end on the G37 sedan not being as fast as a coupe, not sure where you're getting that info either.

The reality is, a 7AT base G37 sedan is probably the quickest stock G ever built at this stage because it is the lightest G37 available, has the lowest, tallest and most closely spaced gear ratios, and has essentially the same hp as the G37 coupe.

With all that said, none of this really matters. In the real world, the G37 sedans and coupes are pretty close in actual performance. Not sure why there's a need to call someone an "A$$clown" and I'm not sure why G coupe owners feel a need to defend their purchase decision. Both are fantastic cars and have their unique advantages and disadvantages.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 PM
johnnyg

I made the a$$clown remark in response to the Moron comment directed at me. Now, their absolutely has been commentary on the abrupt tip in from most major car mags, so much so that the factory took notice. Regarding the 7AT, most evals of the tranny discuss mileage as the biggest benefit due to the extra gears not a quicker 0 to 60. A bigger benefit of a 7 AT would be a higher rear end ratio ala' muscles cars that gain tenths of a second when a 4:11 is installed where a 3:73 used to sit. So yes, do your research. At the end of the day does it matter, no but like I said before tenths are overcome with technique. They teach that at Skip Barber. Lastly, the trap speed for the C&D article is flat wrong. i believe there is a guy on this forum that ran a stock 5 AT G coupe to 13.4 or so with a wicked launch. I think the trap was 109 give or take so. Much higher than your comment that the C&D time was the highest of any G built. Look, I'm not trying to start anything but I spent 5 years on BMW boards listening to fanboys argue over a tenth here and there. We should be above that
Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Mr_Ryte

We should be above that
Indeed. And since this thread offers very little useful discussion; I say we just wrap it up and call it a day.....
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 AM
pdydy

Sedan >>>>> Coupe
Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 AM
ridoor

Originally Posted by pdydy
Sedan >>>>> Coupe
Everyday.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Keng

Originally Posted by pdydy
Sedan >>>>> Coupe
I beg to be diff, Coupe >>>>> Sedan
Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Convertible>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything.

haha
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
volnedan

Interesting thread...I just got out of my lease of 08 G37S 6MT coupe and bought a 08 G35S 6MT sedan, and let me say the sedan does feel a bit faster and lighter. The coupe hides its weight very well when cornering/maneuvering, but feels slower in straight line when compared to the sedan.

Extremely excessive mileage and financial reasons made me exit my lease early (swapalease), and I got great deal on the sedan (~$8k off MSRP). However I miss my coupe like crazy and if it were apples to apples I'd buy the coupe over the sedan anyday, regardless of the 0-60 times.

Either way they're both great cars and we should all be considered lucky to have one.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
06banshee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coupe>Seadan...coupe makes the pantys drop.sedan makes you look like any other ordinary 50 year old on the streets.Im a performance freak but i dont care how much faster the sedan is if i really wanted to go faster sacrificing looks i would of got a 370z./Thread.plus 50 pounds?Just empty your trunk.and go to the track with less gass.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:17 PM
lokitiw

First post-Had to get my 2 cents in this one. If it is speed and power you want , drive what I have been driving for the past couple years. I lease every 3 years and my time is coming. I will be leasing the G37x, However my Jeep SRT has been the most fun since my 60 409 chev. About the only thing to beat it is the Zvette. other then that I have not been beat in the dig. From a roll yes,not often. Folks drive up close behind, then drop back.I have had it up to 150 mph with more to go. 0 to 60--4.0 sec, After 80 mph it is like driving a brick,but is it fun getting there. This all makes the G pretty darn good. It is also excellent in getting tickets, as my wife can testify too. I have been looking in on you guys(and gals) for a couple weeks now and enjoyed the forum. Excellent info. Thx

Quick Reply: motortrend test data 09 G37S sedan