G37 Sedan

awd or rwd

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
veejayy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awd or rwd

This is not a question about snow etc. but rather about handling feel.

Note this review in "The Truth About Cars" of the 35x (www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008-infiniti-g35x-awd-review/).

It ain't pretty. I now have an fx45 so all I have been used to over the last three years is the awd system from Infiniti.

In the REAL world can any one comment on sterring feel, road connectedness etc. between g rwd and g x? The rwd gets such rave reviews but the x reviews are not as plentiful or as involved. I would like awd but will not compromise on handling feel and feedback so would be will to buy rwd if necessary.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM
prutkows

handling in ideal conditions? rwd >>>>> awd.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Handing feel will be the same in normal conditions because the AWD will only engage when there is wheel slipage. or if you click the "snow mode"
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
trebien

Despite what marketing has told you for years, you don't need AWD unless:
  1. You have lots of snow
  2. You have lots of rain
  3. You have lots of dirt/mud
  4. You have too much power for 2 drive wheels
That's about it. Basically, it's a traction issue. Otherwise, the added cost, weight, fuel consumption, complexity and maintenance isn't worth it. I live in Austin. We get more meteors than #1, #2 or #3 above. Always cracks me up to see someone with an awd anything. What a waste.

It's funny; the car company known for all wheel drive, all the time (quattro) is about the least sporty of the premium marques, save the R8 (see reason #4 above). And truly, it's because they base their car designs on FWD platforms, and Quattro is an ineffective attempt to align the handling more like a RWD car, which is superior.

If you need it, fine. If you're not sure, then you probably don't...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
jmanpatsfan

Originally Posted by trebien
Despite what marketing has told you for years, you don't need AWD unless:
  1. You have lots of snow
  2. You have lots of rain
  3. You have lots of dirt/mud
  4. You have too much power for 2 drive wheels
That's about it. Basically, it's a traction issue. Otherwise, the added cost, weight, fuel consumption, complexity and maintenance isn't worth it. I live in Austin. We get more meteors than #1, #2 or #3 above. Always cracks me up to see someone with an awd anything. What a waste.

It's funny; the car company known for all wheel drive, all the time (quattro) is about the least sporty of the premium marques, save the R8 (see reason #4 above). And truly, it's because they base their car designs on FWD platforms, and Quattro is an ineffective attempt to align the handling more like a RWD car, which is superior.

If you need it, fine. If you're not sure, then you probably don't...
I dont really think it makes too much of a difference in the rain unless you are driving a race course.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM
nogoodname
Banned

AWD is good in Canada because of #1
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
SilverRSXJezus

If you will practically never really see any weather issues with your car, then RWD by all means.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
wireboltman

I'm actually thinking about putting my plans ahead a yr and buy the G37X.
I've had my FX35 for the last 4 yrs and have never driven a vehicle I enjoy as much as this one.

I've got about 90-100 SCCA Autocross runs and about 300 track miles on my FX.
I hold my own in any venue and have taken out Corvettes, Audi Quattros, and Porches.

I've even been in a SCCA Autocross on ice up a mountain like course and back down.
That was an experience, the likes of which will remain a solitary one-
I did well, however, and had the second fastest time out of 34 vehicles.

Lots of damaged vehicles on that one. Parts strewn all over the place. Bumpers, air dams, you name it. Pretty brutal

That being said, I fully intend to autocross and track the G37.
The Infiniti AWD system is the best I've ever used and while racing, you can without question, feel the system pulling you around corners/cones.
Like glue, Man-

The system starts out a 50/50 split front and back.
At about 6-8 mph, if it sense no slippage, it becomes completely RWD, and at that point, only slippage will cause the front wheel/wheels to have power on them. Basically then, it does handle just as a RWD vehicle.
Very unique and capable system.
It even senses lean, and will apply or adjust power accordingly.
Great for drifting out to the apron on the track under power.

We also get about 250"-300" of snow up here every winter, so it'd be handy there, too.
For the next several yrs, however, I don't plan to be here for the winter.
Leaving in January, the G37 RWD really didn't bother me as far as the snow, but the lure of the X now coming out may be too much for me to resist.

Bottom line is that there is no question, there's an added degree of safety in having the AWD system in any kind of emergency maneuvering or even just a wet, oily, slippery road.

That's just a fact.

Last edited by wireboltman; 09-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
SubaruFlamingo

I love the AWD on my WRX and am thinking of replacing it with an 09 G37 sedan... if I could get it AWD with a manual that would be very appealing. An AWD car with snow tires is practically unstoppable in the snow!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
G37USR

U guys know how the g37 sedan does 0-60 5sec flat, rwd. Would awd be much slower?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37USR
U guys know how the g37 sedan does 0-60 5sec flat, rwd. Would awd be much slower?
AWD adds about 215 pounds to the weight of the vehicle. Unless you live you life a 1/4 mile at a time you won't see a difference.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 PM
G37USR

Would the Awd take off faster? B/c of traction problems from the rwd compared to awd?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:34 AM
SilverRSXJezus

Yes, if the AWD system is competent it should most definitely faster since you can most likely dump your clutch at a higher RPM.

That said, your transmission and/or your clutch won't last for long. That's one of the weak points of getting a WRX sti....can't do high rpm launches too often.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
Yes, if the AWD system is competent it should most definitely faster since you can most likely dump your clutch at a higher RPM.

That said, your transmission and/or your clutch won't last for long. That's one of the weak points of getting a WRX sti....can't do high rpm launches too often.
Lol yeah, AWD cars LOVE high RPM clutch dumps.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
AWD is only available on the AT, which won't allow clutch dumps. Neutral drops... well... kiss your warranty goodbye.

The AWD will corner slightly slower due to weight (and tire available), but it will be much easier to power out

Quick Reply: awd or rwd