G37 Sedan

awd or rwd

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 AM
DoctorTuna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only comparison is to the Acura RL SH-AWD. It's handling prowess was very impressive for a 4000lb sedan, but at the end of the day, physics, weight, drivetrain inefficiencies will rule the day. My new G37S 5AT feels faster in every situation I've driven in comparison to the RL. The AWD to me seems to dilute the power available. I've read on the RL forums that the 290hp RL only gets 203 whp, WITH mods. If you need snow traction, put on a set of Bridegestone Blizzak LM-25, go RWD!!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Oggie

Unless you have driven AWD in snow, I wouldn`t discount AWD. The safety and certainty that you can go anywhere in the winter is a plus. I have driven in the rain with RWD and when I apply full power my car side swipe. Came from Audi A4/VW Tourage/G35x, I completely forgotten how to drive a RWD car. Applying full power in an AWD car was never a problem in any conditions. You can`t do that in RWD even with dedicated snows.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing you have to keep in mind about Infiniti's AWD system is that it's a RWD vehicle until the wheels start to slip, then it shifts power to the front. So most of the time the driving is the same as a RWD vehicle.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:54 PM
RhiNoKiLL

Im kind of tired of people saying winter tires + RWD and your ALL SET!

No.... with all due respect... have any of those people even driven in like 4+ inches of snow with rwd and snow tires? It is scary going on a flat road, impossible going up hill. You would have to constantly feather the gas and keep under certain rpms especially when your stopping and going.

If snow tires was THAT great in the snow....why did they invent snow chains?
Old 10-19-2008, 03:50 PM
prutkows

Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL

No.... with all due respect... have any of those people even driven in like 4+ inches of snow with rwd and snow tires? It is scary going on a flat road, impossible going up hill. You would have to constantly feather the gas and keep under certain rpms especially when your stopping and going.

just so you know, chains were created long before the idea of specialized (winter, summer, performance, etc) tires ever were..

also, if you live in an area that regularly gets that much snow, it was a dumb decision to buy a sports coupe unless you have another car that handles snow with a lot more ease.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by prutkows
just so you know, chains were created long before the idea of specialized (winter, summer, performance, etc) tires ever were..

also, if you live in an area that regularly gets that much snow, it was a dumb decision to buy a sports coupe unless you have another car that handles snow with a lot more ease.
+1
if there is too much snow on the road, either drive something else that is more capable, or just wait it out until the city clears it. dont go crazy trying to figure out what is better. in the end, a AWD will not protect you if you're not careful, no matter how capable your ride.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I'm tired of people who think that their 4WD can stop any better than a 2WD in snow. I have seen so many aHolios in their big SUVs slide into the back of other cars that I have lost count. You should have to pass another drivers test to drive a 4WD
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
RhiNoKiLL

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I'm tired of people who think that their 4WD can stop any better than a 2WD in snow. I have seen so many aHolios in their big SUVs slide into the back of other cars that I have lost count. You should have to pass another drivers test to drive a 4WD
I'm tired of people who can't read to save their life. Where on earth did I say anything about stopping? I clearly stated driving and accelerating from a stop.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
RhiNoKiLL

But so many people think it's ok to drive with in 4 season areas with rwd snow tires. I obviously was referring to them, who would buy snow tires if they live in florida that might accidentally snow 1 inch in 100 years?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 AM
prutkows

But so many people think it's ok to drive with in 4 season areas with rwd snow tires. I obviously was referring to them, who would buy snow tires if they live in florida that might accidentally snow 1 inch in 100 years?
"4 season areas" is pretty broad. People may experience some snow/ice and be just fine with rwd snow tires. the point im trying to make is that if you live somewhere with bad winters, you shouldnt depend on what tires you have on your AWD/RWD G37.. you should just buy a different daily driver, or at least have an alternate for those days when the roads are covered in snow and ice.

Originally Posted by veejayy2
This is not a question about snow etc. but rather about handling feel.

Note this review in "The Truth About Cars" of the 35x (www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008-infiniti-g35x-awd-review/).

It ain't pretty. I now have an fx45 so all I have been used to over the last three years is the awd system from Infiniti.

In the REAL world can any one comment on sterring feel, road connectedness etc. between g rwd and g x? The rwd gets such rave reviews but the x reviews are not as plentiful or as involved. I would like awd but will not compromise on handling feel and feedback so would be will to buy rwd if necessary.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.
also, we've all managed to drift off topic.
to the OP: If i'm not mistaken, G X AWD activates only when necessary and the rest of the time it handles as if it was RWD.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to the OP: If i'm not mistaken, G X AWD activates only when necessary and the rest of the time it handles as if it was RWD.
Yes, this is correct.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:16 AM
DoctorTuna

Obviously, if you live in the snow belt, AWD is going to be the best option, I would still go with dedicated snow tires though. Where I live I have 4 seasons, but minimal snow. For me, after having an AWD vehicle, I prefer performance without compromise, and for me that's RWD. AWD, even if rear biased, adds weight and drivetrain inefficiency, it is what it is. The OP obviously has to decide what is more important, poor weather control or RWD performance.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 AM
wireboltman

I'm tired of people who can't read to save their life. Where on earth did I say anything about stopping? I clearly stated driving and accelerating from a stop.
You completely missed the bigger point.
Driving and accelerating mean absolutely nothing if you can't stop.

A good set of soft compund winter tires will achieve both.

I use Blizzaks and swear by them, but there are others.

Nontheless, slower is always better on ice and snow.
Absolutely no sudden maneuvers on ice.
Every move slow and deliberate, even if you drop a wheel off the road.
You eeeez it..... back on.

Going too fast is the major cause of all accidents on ice.
Even with all AWD or 4WD, one should always remember you can't stop any faster than anyone else.
Big mistake made by too many to count.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I interpreted this as stopping, since it said stopping, not accelerating from a stop. I guess I was wrong. I still think a good portion of 4WD drivers are aholios when it snows.

Last edited by CHI-TOWN G37; 10-20-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by wireboltman
You completely missed the bigger point.
Driving and accelerating mean absolutely nothing if you can't stop.

A good set of soft compund winter tires will achieve both.

I use Blizzaks and swear by them, but there are others.

Nontheless, slower is always better on ice and snow.
Absolutely no sudden maneuvers on ice.
Every move slow and deliberate, even if you drop a wheel off the road.
You eeeez it..... back on.

Going too fast is the major cause of all accidents on ice.
Even with all AWD or 4WD, one should always remember you can't stop any faster than anyone else.
Big mistake made by too many to count.
Wireboltman knows his stuff since he lives in the snow belt and drives a 4WD. He is dead-on.

Quick Reply: awd or rwd