Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Name:  8347da16.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  26.4 KB
Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
The only thing with tires is slightly higher weight, but I think that is negligible. The big factor is the Vossen wheels like TreSe7en said...but I don't think they would cause it to be THAT low. MPG is essentially a huge logarithm with tons of factors. The wheel weight is just one part of it.
That means it just could be my driving style.
I don't rev more higher than 3.5 ~ 5 on daily driving accerlating.
How (method) do I have to drive to save the gas a bit more?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshLee89
That means it just could be my driving style.
I don't rev more higher than 3.5 ~ 5 on daily driving accerlating.
How (method) do I have to drive to save the gas a bit more?
Yes, driving style is another big factor (I think that and weight are probably the 2 biggest)

But the thing that is odd to me is I routinely go to 6K+ RPM (not in the city, but on the highway ALL the time) and am getting 20+ MPG on every tank.

I guess for me personally, the way I drive is using engine braking, stop/go as little as possible (if there is a route with a lot of lights I find another way) and getting to cruising speed then staying there...I don't really know what the "right" method of maxamizing you MPG is
Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
YetiNole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where you drive is far and away the number 1 factor. I consistently get about 17 or 18mpg, but my daily driving is all short trips with lots of stop signs/lights and 0 highway driving. On the rare days when I'm going back and forth across town and spending some time on the interstate, I avg around 22 or 23. Then when I go on a trip, I do 26+.

How you drive comes in second, and can still vary your mpg quite a bit, but it's impossible to do 26+ in stop and go traffic.

Something like weight is pretty negligible. Once you get up to cruising speed, having an extra 100 lbs in your car is not going to have much of an effect on your fuel consumption. Watch the Mythbusters episode where they added several 100s of pounds in clay to the outside of the vehicle and got exactly the same mpg. Now if you carry a ton of crap around in your car, then it's going to have a long term effect. But again, the effect will be greater the more stop and go you do.

Bottom line, the % of time you spend accelerating/decelerating/idling vs the % of time spent cruising is going to be the number 1 factor in your mpg. How aggressively you accelerate is #2.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
95mkiv

I get about 17.5 avarage & car has about 200 miles so far.
2010 G-37cp, 6 spd
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Perkchiro

I was surprised at the gas mileage on my car (08 G37S). Didn't expect to get 19-20 mpg with mixed highway and city driving.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Regulation

I drive like an *******, I usually get around 8-12 mpg in a mix of city and highway.

This last tank I tried driving like an Asian and my average is 15mpg :O. How are you guys getting 20-22 lol
Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Amon_Ra

if you drive @ 65MPH on the highway you can get upwards of 28 MPG's but who does that? lol
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Lime37

35% of the time mashing the car in los angeles horrible traffic i get (being generous) 12mpg =(
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
that seems WAAAY low. are you only driving super congested stop-and-go? even when I ONLY drive stop and go around base I get 16/17.

Not to jump to any conclusions, but one of the best reasons to track your MPG is that your MPG will usually drop when something is wrong...so I would say if you normally were getting 18ish and then all of a sudden 10-12 go get checked, but if you have been getting 10-12 all the time something still seems wrong...I'd at least check with the techs at your dealership
It's been 7 month now and my results are almost the same: 10-12.7 mpg. I don't drive much 20 miles avg. per day, non congested small city driving. I don't go over 50 mph in the city. I like to push it on occassions but not often. I don't ride the brake. Once I devoted an entire tank of gas for the hwy driving at speeds 80-100 as anybody else. The reading was 17mpg and it went back to low in the city. The only mods I have is my modified exhaust which did not cause a different milage, grounding wires, k&n filters. My car gets a very good dyno reading for a non mod version- 275.5hp to the wheels. I know from the blogs the guys get as low as 245hp on the same dyno, stock car. I wonder if this could be a different programming of the cars brain at the factory. Maybe it gets too much fuel? The timing is off? I have contacted the dealership and they had tested the car once. They said the milage will improve, it did not. They have not been able to pinpoint any cause of low MPG but the mechanic said it was not unusual to him to see those results.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

that is amazing to me...this weekend I was driving the car as hard as possible for non-track applications with 2 GTR's and a Porsche GT-3 and was still getting 15.7 MPH (I reset the meter to see how much it dropped during super hard driving)

As soon as I started backing off a bit it jumped back up above 20, even hit 25.6 on the highway

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
It's been 7 month now and my results are almost the same: 10-12.7 mpg. I don't drive much 20 miles avg. per day, non congested small city driving. I don't go over 50 mph in the city. I like to push it on occassions but not often. I don't ride the brake. Once I devoted an entire tank of gas for the hwy driving at speeds 80-100 as anybody else. The reading was 17mpg and it went back to low in the city. The only mods I have is my modified exhaust which did not cause a different milage, grounding wires, k&n filters. My car gets a very good dyno reading for a non mod version- 275.5hp to the wheels. I know from the blogs the guys get as low as 245hp on the same dyno, stock car. I wonder if this could be a different programming of the cars brain at the factory. Maybe it gets too much fuel? The timing is off? I have contacted the dealership and they had tested the car once. They said the milage will improve, it did not. They have not been able to pinpoint any cause of low MPG but the mechanic said it was not unusual to him to see those results.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
BuzzLY37

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
This MPG business is really not important, I got gas this past Sunday and cruised home with no cars on the street. I hit 27.8 MPG lol. But in reality I only get about 22MPG average driving on the freeway 80% and local 20%.

Drive the car to enjoy it! Not to set MPG record! =)
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2010G37
This MPG business is really not important, I got gas this past Sunday and cruised home with no cars on the street. I hit 27.8 MPG lol. But in reality I only get about 22MPG average driving on the freeway 80% and local 20%.

Drive the car to enjoy it! Not to set MPG record! =)
no one is driving trying to get a MPG award lol (at least I'm not) it is just facinating how one G will be driven incredibly hard and get better gas mileage than one that is driven more "gas friendly" or how two G's can be driven in very similar conditions and one will get noticeably better gas mileage
Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may have been stated already but have you guys with the poor mpg been resetting your mpg status? if not, press the info button and select reset everytime you fill up. The poor mpg recieved when the car was new may be muddin up your avg. for the trip counter avg mpg/mph you have to hold the button down on the right side of the gauge cluster to reset it.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
steve2869

Gas miles

At this point I am getting around 20.8 with mixed city and highway driving. The car only has 300 miles on it and I am babying it. I traded in a 2006 Corvette on the car. I can now see that I was able to get better mileage on my 2006 Corvette with its 6.0 litre engine. It is all good. I love my new car.

Quick Reply: Miles Per Gallon Feedback