My Infiniti G37x Coupe is failing too much

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 02:51 AM
G37VENOM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Infiniti G37x Coupe is failing too much

Hello Everyone,

Last year on December 16 I bought my 2012 Infiniti G37x Coupe with 155k miles title rebuild due to a front end collision.

As soon as the car started running, one of the coolant hoses broke and the car started to overheat, the person who sold it to me helped me fix that.

Afterwards I took it to an inspection with an independent workshop in Miami where they work on VQ engines and G37s and they told me that it was leaking oil in the valve gaskets, for that reason I went ahead and changed the valve gaskets, spark plugs and ignition coils.

After making those repairs, the engine started to cause a misfire in several cylinders and I had to change the intake manifold gaskets myself, which ended up solving the problem.

After having the car running for about 5k miles, the car overheated because apparently it was leaking coolant but I couldn't find where it was from and I added more coolant to the car to continue using it normally. When the coolant ran out it caused the water pump to break leading me to change the water pump, timing chain, gallery gaskets, timing rear gaskets and new serpentine belt.

After that I picked up the car and after 3 days the idle pulley broke and the serpentine belt came loose.

I took the car to a shop to put a new idler pulley on it but when I left the shop the car on the left side was releasing smoke when it was at the stop light, I thought it was something bad, I opened the hood of the car and the smell of burned, I thought there was some liquid left that was spilled somewhere hot and I didn't pay attention to it, I continued using the car.

After that I started to investigate why my car idled when it was at the stop light, I found that there was a small air leak in one of the intake manifold hoses, I fixed it and then took it to a muffler shop to check the exhaust and catalytic converter. It was dirty and the gaskets were burned.

Then I proceeded to continue using the car like this until today when the car stops working at a stop light and sends the battery light with a slight burning smell on the passenger side. I looked and apparently what I see is that The steering wheel fluid was leaking on that side and burned out the alternator.

I like this car and that is why I have made all those arrangements to keep it, I regularly use it as a daily the only thing it has modified is the exhaust which is an ISR single exit.
I know it's my decision but I would like to know your opinion on whether I should keep the car or get rid of it and put an end to this story.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,643 Likes on 3,474 Posts
It's only been half a year, and you've probably spent as much on repairs as the car itself. Not to mention all the endless hours where you or the shop were trying to diagnose and repair things. Add to that, given this recent history, I'm sure every single time you drive it that you're on edge wondering what's about to happen next. So my opinion: Life is too short to have all that discontent about a daily driver. Maybe if it was a hobby car, but not a daily driver.

I've always loved the G37... Coupe, Sedan, Vert. But it's not worth what you're going through. Cut your losses, move on and get some peace.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:22 PM
G37VENOM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's only been half a year, and you've probably spent as much on repairs as the car itself. Not to mention all the endless hours where you or the shop were trying to diagnose and repair things. Add to that, given this recent history, I'm sure every single time you drive it that you're on edge wondering what's about to happen next. So my opinion: Life is too short to have all that discontent about a daily driver. Maybe if it was a hobby car, but not a daily driver.

I've always loved the G37... Coupe, Sedan, Vert. But it's not worth what you're going through. Cut your losses, move on and get some peace.
Thinking that it will work I just changed the alternator, steering wheel pump and catalytic converters and now the car doesn't start at all.
For how much you think I can sell the car taking into consideration all the new parts that have been installed?
Old 06-25-2024, 06:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,643 Likes on 3,474 Posts
Sorry to say, but new maintenance parts won't affect the sale price at all, particularly if the car doesn't run well, or not run at all. And I suspect most people would take a look at that single exit exhaust, and the rebuild title, and walk away. You're in a tough spot.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:00 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
IMHO you'll probably make more $ parting it out.