Sponsored By:

2010 G37 Won't start, also Won't turn off ACC/ON mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 03:41 PM
OLuckyDayO
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 G37 Won't start, also Won't turn off ACC/ON mode

Over the weekend I replaced my cracked and worn dash panel on my 2010 G37 (auto). After assembling everything back up, this is the behavior (vid included as well as description):

- Pressing start button once pauses for a few seconds, then turns on ACC mode. Only thing that turns on in this mode is the radio, which shows the infiniti splash and lands on the USB mode. No buttons anywhere on the console panel work, but USB mode will play audio if I connect to my phone.

- Pressing the start button again will turn the car to ON mode. the radiator fans come on, the headlights come on (can't be shut off), and numerous lights appear on the dash. Wipers can't turn on, lights can't be turned off, and the car will not turn off (even with a 10 second press of the start button).

- Holding the brake and pressing the start button has no effect, car won't turn over or start the engine.

Things I've tried to look at:

- I pulled apart everything under the wheel as well as in the center console again after having this issue to make sure I didn't miss any connectors. Don't believe I did
- I've also checked all of the fuses in front of the battery, on the positive terminal, and under the driver kick panel, no issues found there.
- I've tried rocking the shifter back between gears to see if the car isn't recognizing park, but that didn't seem to have any effect. I don't believe my steering lock is engaged as I can get to ACC/ON and I can turn the wheel slightly (difficult but it does move and the wheels do too).
- Swapped the key in my fob to another newer battery.

Car worked 100% before all of this. I'm curious if I did something to the ECM and need to reset that, but I followed the steps outlined elsewhere on the forum and didn't have much luck getting that to work.

What else should I check next?

*EDIT UPDATE* Interestingly enough, there's a user with a thread directly below mine that refers to having an AV unit that won't respond to any buttons on the console, which is what mine does. That was solved by correctly plugging items into the back of the AV. As a result I'm going to pull everything again and be 100% sure I've made connections where they should be.

That being said, I can't imagine that a wrong connection on the AV unit would lead to a non-starting car and no response from the start button.

Last edited by OLuckyDayO; 09-13-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:55 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Not necessarily the AV unit but rather the Unified Meter & AC Amp which is mounted atop the AV headunit. It is VERY easy to mix up the connectors for the amp and the headunit and if the amp is not plugged in correctly it will "brick" the car.

Look at the pic in this post and make sure the connectors WITH THE YELLOW TAPE are plugged into the small, rectangular, white box.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-13-2022 at 06:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
needsoju (09-13-2022), OLuckyDayO (09-13-2022), TheWire (10-19-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:59 PM
OLuckyDayO
Registered Member

Right now, those connectors are plugged in correctly, however when I first installed the dash they were not (I don't recall if I had the yellow in another place or if I had another connector where the yellow should be).

Since that's a likely cause to my problems, as the car does seem "bricked", what are my options going forward?
Old 09-13-2022, 05:03 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Are you able to snap some pics of the connectors as they sit now?
Old 09-13-2022, 05:27 PM
OLuckyDayO
Registered Member

Aha! Progress. I had noted that one connector fit two spots when I reconnected things earlier, but I did not know to look for the yellow.

I just went out and checked again, and put everything in the right place. The dials, gauges, displays all work correctly now. I can also press the button to attempt to start. Possibly more importantly, I can actually turn the car off and cycle between the correct options of ACC/ON/OFF.

The car however only turns over and never fires the engine. I'm hopeful that's just a worn battery from me working on it for a few days (although the battery is only about a week old). I will get it a jump tonight and see how that goes.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:21 PM
OLuckyDayO
Registered Member

Bingo. I had one yellow plug in the correct place and one in the wrong. Car needed a jump, but started right up after. Thanks for the help @ILM-NC G37S , this is not the first problem I've had answered by one of your posts on this forum, so you're a definite MVP.

One curious thing, I let the car run for 15-20 minutes like I normally do to recharge the battery. Car temp rose quite a bit (I'd say about 85% of meter and just under the line before "hot"). Now it looks like that's my next issue to take a look at. Once I took it around the block the temp dropped below 50% like normal, so maybe the fans aren't running properly.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:47 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Glad you are up and running.
Keep in mind that idling the engine for 15-20min. to charge the battery is highly inefficient, ineffective, and a waste of fuel. You must drive the car, at speed, for a sufficient amount of time for the battery to be fully charged, or, in the interim, get a battery charger and top it off that way. If your car is not a daily driver and it sits for extended periods of time, you may want to consider a battery maintainer ("tender").

If the battery is only a week old and it is already giving you issues, you may want to consider returning it for testing/ warranty replacement.

Give the car a few days and see how the temperature gauge behaves. Do not go looking for a problem when there may not be one in the first place. If issues arise, look into it then.

Do the fans come on when the AC is turned to full cold?
Old 09-13-2022, 11:57 PM
OLuckyDayO
Registered Member

Great tips, I didn't have any driving to do tonight so just wanted to get some charge on the battery for the drive to work tomorrow, I also drove it around town for a mile or two after letting it sit.

I bought the battery last week, but I started this dash removal about 5 days ago and the car has been sitting in the garage for the duration with a lot of me connecting and disconnecting the battery and using components. I also fixed the dome lights and sunroof as part of this project and got those working, so there was a lot of ACC mode and testing. I'm a little concerned about the battery getting low this early, but hoping the circumstances explain it and nothing to worry about long term.

AC blows hard and cold inside the car, I was driving when I checked so haven't taken a look at the rad fan behavior. I'm definitely of the same school of thought not to go looking for a problem, I'll just keep an eye on it long term.