Sponsored By:

Upgrading center console

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 04:06 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading center console

So i just got a G37x coupe two months ago. Sadly it’s salvaged. But i am currently fixing it up. Brought it for only $5000. But i do want to make a few changes to it. I recently lost my car which was a 2020 Hyundai Elantra Limited and that car had alot of technology that i liked. And getting into this car it’s just so outdated to me. So i wanted to get a new center console with the touch screens in the new Q60/Q50 with the ****. But i just wanted to know if it would work before i go buying anything. Would i need a new center console? Or could i just take out certain parts of the main center console and put the new ones in?

Old 06-29-2022, 06:07 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,068 Posts
You do not mention what year (I am guessing 2008 or 2009)? Regardless...

You would be better off, and cheaper, getting a Tesla-style or other aftermarket unit.

The Q50/60 units are already "outdated" in themselves. They will not physically fit in the G without redoing the entire center console and dashboard. The main issue is the center stack/ multi-function switch/display screen. Unless you have serious fabrication skills, it will not fit and look halfway decent.

This does not take into account the wiring differences.

Believe me. I looked into it over and over. I even have a box full of parts and harnesses. It's just not feasible (though I am looking into a different direction).

Search the forum. There are a few aftermarket options available. Not many, though.

BTW, welcome to the site. Good luck with your new toy!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-30-2022 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eccentricfox (07-28-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 08:57 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S

You would be better off, and cheaper, getting a Tesla-style or other aftermarket unit.

The Q50/60 units are already "outdated" in themselves. They will not physically fit in the G without redoing the entire center console and dashboard. The main issue is the center stack/ multi-function switch/display screen. Unless you have serious fabrication skills, it will not fit and look halfway decent.

Believe me. I looked into it over and over. I even have a box full of parts and harnesses. It's just not feasible (though I am looking into a different direction).

Search the forum. There are a few aftermarket options available. Not many, though.

The car is a 08/09. And I believe he is asking about the Tesla screen being plug and play. At least I hope he is.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:25 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
... I believe he is asking about the Tesla screen being plug and play. At least I hope he is.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by Eccentricfox
... So i wanted to get a new center console with the touch screens in the new Q60/Q50 with the ****.

He will have to clarify then. I took it that he meant the dual screens with the dial switch on the center console next to the shifter (like I'm currently trying to figure out).

I could be reading it wrong. Would not be the first time. Sure will not be the last...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-30-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:40 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I read it the same way, i think he wants to transplant the Q50 dual screen system.

honestly not sure why you want to do that. I've used that system quite a bit and my god its slow as hell.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:15 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I just want to the dial switch... I dislike the one in the G... but... it is what it is.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:39 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
oh are you talking about trying to add that **** that's down by the shifter? that would be interesting
The following users liked this post:
Eccentricfox (07-28-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 11:16 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I sit far back from the steering wheel. Having to reach/ stretch to fiddle with that touchscreen and those switches is not practical for me.

I've thought of relocating the switch assembly, but me and soldering don't get along. I can only imagine the f-bomb fireworks trying to extend that ribbon cable. It's been done in Japan. I won't be trying it.

The Q60 dial switch, next to the shifter, would be ideal for me, but seems unlikely it will work from both a wiring perspective and the overall signal values.

Anyway, not wanting to stray off topic...
The following 3 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
Eccentricfox (07-28-2022), iCrap (06-30-2022), RA081224 (06-30-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 06:52 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

yes its a 2010 and thank you for the warm welcome
Old 07-28-2022, 06:53 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
oh are you talking about trying to add that **** that's down by the shifter? that would be interesting
yes i liked the way it looks and works as this one is just looks alittle out dated. Im coming from a 2020 elantra limited so im kind of used to technology lol.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

I just want to the dial switch... I dislike the one in the G... but... it is what it is.
that’s exactly what i want this one just looks outdated to me.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:56 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

I sit far back from the steering wheel. Having to reach/ stretch to fiddle with that touchscreen and those switches is not practical for me.

I've thought of relocating the switch assembly, but me and soldering don't get along. I can only imagine the f-bomb fireworks trying to extend that ribbon cable. It's been done in Japan. I won't be trying it.

The Q60 dial switch, next to the shifter, would be ideal for me, but seems unlikely it will work from both a wiring perspective and the overall signal values.

Anyway, not wanting to stray off topic...
im a short guy so that wouldnt be a problem for me lol. But you’re probably right it qould be a headache. Im coming from a 2020 elantra limited so im kind of use to technology. But i will keep looking.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:58 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He will have to clarify then. I took it that he meant the dual screens with the dial switch on the center console next to the shifter (like I'm currently trying to figure out).

I could be reading it wrong. Would not be the first time. Sure will not be the last...
sorry yes im talking about the dual switch. Im used to the technology cars so im coming back to a early year car. Just want to upgrade the interior and the performance before i go into the exterior.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:59 PM
Eccentricfox
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
I read it the same way, i think he wants to transplant the Q50 dual screen system.

honestly not sure why you want to do that. I've used that system quite a bit and my god its slow as hell.
really? I just loved the way it looks and works. I just want something that seems newer to the cars of this time. Plus i want something that has apple carplay.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:12 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Again, your best bet is to look into one of those "Tesla-style" things that replace the whole center stack, or look into any number of Teyes-type units that just replace the OEM screen. Not my flavor, but it's not my car, either...

Then there is always the GROM unit. One member even installed a Sony unit (link).

Even if the Q system could be transplanted, it would still be a sub-par unit which is why I abandoned the project to just focus on relocating the dial switch.

Options are there, it all depends on what you want and your budget. Just be advised that many of those knockoff things do not play nice with the cars electronics and can cause issues.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-28-2022 at 07:35 PM.