Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Electrical problem after replacing dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 10:26 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
I doubt the GPS antenna or the "newer" airbag module is the issue. The car should still run whether the headunit is connected or not but may cause some issues.

I still say there is a wiring connector somewhere either in the wrong place or not properly seated. Looking at your pic, your amp connections are fine.

Let the car sit overnight with the battery disconnected. Get a full night's sleep and tackle it again tomorrow/ after work.

Go over EVERY. SINGLE. CONNECTOR that you removed or might have "bumped" while you were removing / installing the dash. Pay attention to the center stack (AV) and passenger dash.

If everything worked before you removed the dash, it should work now with the new one. I can almost guarantee it is something small/ simple.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:49 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went outside and tried before reading this, it was still at least 5 hours disconnected, ill let it sit till tomorrow after work. but it didnt start, battery was dead, this time it took me a bit more to turn it on, (to close the windows) had to keep the cables a few minutes, last time it turned on right away... it was dead dead... can that cause that? im gonna get a new battery, this one is a bit old.

"I still say there is a wiring connector somewhere either in the wrong place or not properly seated. Looking at your pic, your amp connections are fine."
that was the first thing i checked, the cables you told me, it look they were properly connected.

"Go over EVERY. SINGLE. CONNECTOR that you removed or might have "bumped" while you were removing / installing the dash. Pay attention to the center stack (AV) and passenger dash."
i can always try to disconnect everything again and double check everything is tight and properly connected. i checked today and every cable has a different size and can only be plugged in 1 place, but still i will double check again tomorrow.

"i can always try to disconnect everything again and double check everything is tight and properly connected. i checked today and every cable has a different size and can only be plugged in 1 place, but still i will double check again tomorrow."
yes everything was fine, and I agree, its not that complicated and i was very careful, hopefully is some stupid thing im missing somewhere..

ill try tomorrow after work. I appreciate your time to help me, thanks!
Old 03-30-2022, 09:58 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I am sure you have read through this Dash Replacement DIY thread. You might want to go through it once again. Perhaps some of the pics might offer some additional guidance.

These cars get VERY fussy when the battery gets old/ weak. A lot of weird gremlins pop up. Get the battery fully charged/ replaced before doing anything else.

You will have to make sure that the connectors are fully seated and "clicked" into place. I understand that the connectors have different sizes/ shapes, but there are a few instances where the connectors can get mixed up (like the AC Amp).

Also, check all of your grounding bolts and make sure they are clean and tight. There will be several places where the ground wires will be connected to the frame of the car with a bolt:

Worth a check.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:17 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

No, i didnt know that there was a guide to do it here.. that wouldve helped a lot.. i search so much but just found couple of videos that werent very helpful..

First thing after work is going to get a new battery...

Now that you mention the ground bolts, i think im missing a bolt at the center of the dash, the one behind the speaker, its the number 19 on the guide that you sent me.. i just remembered that it wasnt screwring so i thought that i would deal with that later.. ill get to do that first.. although it was a regular screw, not like the one on your photo.

the one under the airbag yes,( the one on your pic) but ill double check that when i get home..that the only one i remember was a different bolt, do you know what other bolts are ground?

Is it the one the guy is holding or is the one with the black cables? checking the guide theres another one behind the cluster with cables, but to be honest i dont remeber taking those off...definitely will check those, it should be easy to take everything apart without the dash itself
Old 03-30-2022, 02:27 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Look for any bolts that have wires/ ring terminals attached to them like this:

These ground points are located all over the car.

Just throwing out some ideas. I still say the issue is something small...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-30-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:19 AM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

So i didnt have time yesterday, but i bought the battery and installed and nothing changed, so it wasnt the battery.. a friend that i told about the problem asked a mechanic, he said something like "behind the screen should be a cluster and to make sure is tight, that sometimes it looks all the way in but its not" hes probably talking about the AV headunit and the AC Amp.. so i know you said to make sure everythings tight, and i did, but maybe it isnt still all the way in, so now im pretty sure is something there, and not behind the cluster, if it was the cables behind the cluster, it wouldnt affect whats going on with the car not turning off, im going to take it apart, disconnect everything and do it slowly and making sure everything is tight tight.. and im going to check the ground bolts too.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:03 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I agree. Your issue lies somewhere in that center stack or behind the passenger dash. There are a lot of wiring connectors and "modules" back there. Just take your time and go over everything one by one.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:32 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

so i came home, had some time, took everythinng out, triple check the cables, definitely those are good, i saw theres another cable with the same same, that goes to the radio, but i have the ones with the yellow tape where they go, i noticed those 2 cables go behind the cluster, ill have to take it out again even though i already did, triple check those 2, it could be something there because the AV AC unit def its fine..

Behind the passenger side? i dont think i disconnected anything there, just the cable of the glove box and the airbags, will take that apart again and check there too..
Old 03-31-2022, 07:15 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

If you can post a pic of the connector, I should be able to figure out where it goes based on the Factory Manual. In fact, any connectors are you are not sure about, just post a pic (with the wires) and I can figure out what goes where.

The cluster only has 2 connectors and it is impossible to mix them up. Being that the cluster lights up leads me to believe they are fine.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:16 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

Yes i can do that, i think ill have sometime today, probably will arrive home earlier, i just made sure the ones with the yellow tape went up to AV AC, those 2 are tied together, the rest is for the radio, i can take a few pics, i think ill just take everything out, besides the dash, to see if i can fix it that way, if not i think ill have to take the dash out too, hopefully i dont need to do that.. it has to be any of those 2 cables, i dont remember anything else connected to those cables, just the 2 from AV AC to the 3 cables, 2 behind the cluster and the other one to the ignition switch.. both things are not working properly so it has to be something there.. maybe i missed something and dont remember.. the problem is connecting the cluster to see if its working, those cables are really short.. but def going to check those...but if anything i will take pics...
Old 04-01-2022, 11:04 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

so i took everything apart again... everything looks good... i took some pics..

These is are all the cables, everything was properly secured and tight.. there was one more with a yellow tape that goes to the AC Radio panel... the blue circle

Below the passenger, glove box.. i just took those 3 lower cables.. im not sure what that module is, the black box.. everything looked fine, all secured

under the airbags, i just disconnected that yellow big plug the red circle, and and the 2 airbags cables in blue.. all looked like it was fine

nothing connects to that red circle, idk why, but that was like that, here everything was fine too

Under the steering wheel, all tight too..

This is how it looked before disconnecting it.. that cable in the red circle, i pulled it a bit the first time, theres like a rail that holds it and it got loose, that was the only thing i noticed i did not very careful...

the red ones to the cluster and the blue one to ignition..

Everything looked fine and secured, i dont remember disconnecting any other cables, just the GPS antenna attached to the dash and the one from the left side of the I guess the radio antenna... there were no cables under the dash... after all that the dash came out...

Old 04-02-2022, 09:11 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Thank you for the pics. Based on everything I see, all of the connectors are where they should be based on the wiring diagrams in the FSM ('08/Cpe/NAV).

The steering wheel is fine- that slot (red circle) is not used for the G37. The "black module" mounted on the glove box is for the iKey (fob) and appears connected. I did not see the connectors for the clock, Passenger SRS light, or the switch panel- I assume you had them tucked away when you took the photos?

Unfortunately, I do not see anything out of the ordinary. At this point, I would put my hand on EVERYTHING under that dash one last time. After everything is connected if the car still does not run, you will have to dig into the problem deeper- more intensive than we can do here online. I do not know if you are skilled in using a multimeter, but that would be the next step- testing individual circuits/ wires.

While the battery is still disconnected, I know you checked the fuses in the left footwell, but it would not hurt to double check all of the fuses/ fusible links that are on the battery cable, and the adjacent fuse box (IPDM/er). Just throwing out ideas.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 04-02-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:59 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I did not see the connectors for the clock, Passenger SRS light, or the switch panel- I assume you had them tucked away when you took the photos?
Thanks for checking.. im not exaclty sure what mean by the connector for the clock? (i guess you are talking about the cables a little bit up the radio?) and the Passenger SRS light, or the switch panel- im not exaclty sure where are those..

The ones with the blue circle?

there are a few more cables below there, for the cigarette thing and i guess the shifts lights..

No experience with a multimeter, probably will have mechanic to come here an check that..

and the fuses, yes, i can double check that, (just the ones that you told me
ELEC PARTS (IGN)
ELEC PARTS (BAT)
AUDIO/ MIRROR)
maybe the guy can also look at those...I did replaced them with new ones... i saw some videos with the ignition problem like mine, talking about that fuse on the battery, and the ones over there i opened it and checked, didnt see anything weird, but that i guess its a job for the mechanic... hes will probably tell if theres something wrong with a fuse...
Old 04-02-2022, 03:55 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JUANPCM
.. im not exaclty sure what mean by the connector for the clock? (i guess you are talking about the cables a little bit up the radio?) and the Passenger SRS light, or the switch panel- im not exaclty sure where are those..
There should be one (1) 16-pin connector that plugs into the Radio/HVAC switch panel (with a separate "ribbon" cable that connects to the multifunction switch (the dial one)). There should also be one (1) 4-pin cable (4 wires) that plugs into the clock, and another 4-pin connector (w/2 wires (Red & Black)) that gets connected to the Passenger "Airbag OFF" indicator light.

The connector for the shifter device is a 12-pin unit.

I wish I had better advice on what to look for.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:23 PM
JUANPCM
Registered Member

Thank you so much for your time, i really appreciate it! will let you know if i find what it was for future, somebody else might need it

Quick Reply: Electrical problem after replacing dashboard