Sponsored By:

G37s coupe not turning off

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 02:43 PM
agarza86
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37s coupe not turning off

So got home last night, turn off my vehicle fine, I turn it back on an hr later & go to the ATM now the car won't shut off, headlights won't shut off but center consol lights turn on and off with the lights switch, dash and gauges lights stay on also. And windows automatically roll down when i open the door and won't roll back up unless door is closed and only can be operated by drivers controls. I had to let my car run out of gas which luckily was already empty. When it does shut off the fans and lights still have power and wont shut off without disconnecting the battery. Any ideas? I saw an old thread from years ago that google pulled up, saying their problem with not shutting off was a IPDM and another one saying a BCM. Any help would be great thanks!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:01 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Check the BCM for water intrusion. (behind the passenger kick panel) One quick check is if the passenger floor carpet is wet or damp. The water from the sunroof drain tends to accumulate inside the car in this area when the drain is plugged. Only other thing is a weak battery as Nissan / Infiniti tend to act up when the battery is weak. My own experience was an intermittent TCM / AWD fail or headlights that refuse to turn off. Not sure, really strange, any stereo or other electrical work recently? Could be a shorted wire. With the recent high price of gas, its gonna be cheaper to fix this issue then let it run out each time you go somewhere, ha ha ha....it needs fixed regardless.
The following users liked this post:
agarza86 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:16 PM
agarza86
Registered Member

Originally Posted by beefychicken
Check the BCM for water intrusion. (behind the passenger kick panel) One quick check is if the passenger floor carpet is wet or damp. The water from the sunroof drain tends to accumulate inside the car in this area when the drain is plugged. Only other thing is a weak battery as Nissan / Infiniti tend to act up when the battery is weak. My own experience was an intermittent TCM / AWD fail or headlights that refuse to turn off. Not sure, really strange, any stereo or other electrical work recently? Could be a shorted wire. With the recent high price of gas, its gonna be cheaper to fix this issue then let it run out each time you go somewhere, ha ha ha....it needs fixed regardless.
Thanks for the reply and help! No recent electrical work or any sort of aftermarket installs done to it, I purchased about 6 months ago stock. I took a look at the BCM today, which happened to rain hard today, doors closed windows fully rolled up and i see water droplets on the BCM and damp under carpet, not water pooling but definitely water in the area. So next questions since I'm pretty sure it's the BCM now, are there BCM's that i can buy used but still good that are already programmed? Instead of needing the dealership to do it or are they the only ones that can do that? I have seen some that come with keys, is a new key required?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:33 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
I am the wrong person for that question. I really don't know the answer on what is needed to replace the BCM. Try contacting Genuine OEM Infiniti Parts and Accessories Online - Infiniti Parts Deal they have a phone number and a chat line. They might have an answer or be able to point you in the right direction.
Since your BCM is not working at the moment, you could try cleaning/drying it with an electronics cleaner-dryer (I think MAF sensor cleaner would work). Disconnect the battery first, then pull all the BCM plugs and remove it and clean and dry it on a bench. (or put in a bag of rice?) who knows, might work. Of course, there is always a chance that you might make it worse; so do this at your own risk. Never have messed with the BCM other than to wire in a remote start, so i am at a total loss.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:39 PM
ro0kie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrong BCM?!?

Hi, I have a 2008 G37S MT and about a month ago I started having the same problem, the amber light with a key would turn on and I couldn’t turn off the car, fortunately since it’s manual I just had to put in gear and release the clutch, but the cluster lights would stay on unless I disconnected the battery.
took it to my mechanic and he plugged in the diagnostic and it showed BCM fault.
my mechanic used the same # from the module and ordered the new BCM, after a week he told me that everything was working but the car isn’t starting cuz is going into safe mode and that the new BCM is the automatic version.
last week he said he was going to send the car to Infiniti that they could solve the problem in 2/3 days, called him yesterday(Saturday) and he told me the car went and came back cuz they can’t fix the problem.
my guess, either it’s the wrong module like he said, or they messed up with the programming and now they don’t know how to solve it
any advices/tips?? Cuz he keeps saying his supplier can’t find the BCM for the manual.
just out of curiosity, can a BCM for automatic can be programmed for a manual?
The following users liked this post:
josephwhan (11-29-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 11:19 PM
agarza86
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ro0kie
Hi, I have a 2008 G37S MT and about a month ago I started having the same problem, the amber light with a key would turn on and I couldn’t turn off the car, fortunately since it’s manual I just had to put in gear and release the clutch, but the cluster lights would stay on unless I disconnected the battery.
took it to my mechanic and he plugged in the diagnostic and it showed BCM fault.
my mechanic used the same # from the module and ordered the new BCM, after a week he told me that everything was working but the car isn’t starting cuz is going into safe mode and that the new BCM is the automatic version.
last week he said he was going to send the car to Infiniti that they could solve the problem in 2/3 days, called him yesterday(Saturday) and he told me the car went and came back cuz they can’t fix the problem.
my guess, either it’s the wrong module like he said, or they messed up with the programming and now they don’t know how to solve it
any advices/tips?? Cuz he keeps saying his supplier can’t find the BCM for the manual.
just out of curiosity, can a BCM for automatic can be programmed for a manual?
I just fixed my problem. I had it scanned by someone with a Snap-On scanner, although I don't think it's really meant for Infiniti diagnosis, but came back with 17 codes for the BCM and 1 for the ECM but I think it was tied to BCM. So decided well it's a must I go to the dealership to get fixed told them all the info and codes, they did their own scan and came back to a IPDM issue and that the BCM was fine. Crazy I thought they were just trying to make me spend more money, they wanted $1800 for the job I picked it up and paid $370 for the diagnostic, bought the IPDM on ebay for $125, matched the part number to exact, 20 min job because the sensors kinda gave a some trouble and problem fixed! Had to do a window reset too. Also sucks because i was already going to just change the IPDM to start with before the guy came and told me the 17 codes for BCM and made me second guess myself 🤬
Old 02-09-2022, 11:46 PM
ro0kie
Registered Member

so after 3 month still having the same problem.
bought 1 brand new BCM from infiniti since my mechanic couldn't find one anywhere for the 6MT, got everything installed, programming done at infiniti, got the car for 1 day and again same problem came back, amber key light turns on and i can't start the car most of the times, sometimes get lucky and it starts.
took it back to my mechanic, after 2 weeks he told me it was the power steering module fault, got that replaced....went to get my car back and looked like problem was solved, the light would turn on after starting the engine but as soon i started driving it would go away, until today, same problem all over again, unlocked the doors, as soon i open the door, amber key light is on, wanted to start it, no luck, after several tries of getting out, locking and unlocking it finally went away and i could start the engine....got back home, went to turn it off and light came on again, couldn't turn it off, i would press the button, all lights turn off and immediately turn back on, shift into 2nd release clutch and engine turned off, cluster lights stay on, had to disconnect the battery, waited a couple hours, connected the battery again, same problem but this time both amber and red key light stay on and once more couldn't turn off from the ON position.

so "supposedly" both BCM and power steering module were replaced, i say supposedly because I'm starting to get suspicious of my mechanic, and i still have the same problem, last time i went to my mechanic he started rambling about the abs module, like wtf??? I'm no expert in mechanics, just some basic knowledge, but what does the abs module as to do with the key system from the car, besides i get no light for the abs.

any ideas what it could be, because at this rate from what I'm seeing he's gonna change all the module from the car and the problem won't get solved
Old 02-09-2022, 11:52 PM
agarza86
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ro0kie
so after 3 month still having the same problem.
bought 1 brand new BCM from infiniti since my mechanic couldn't find one anywhere for the 6MT, got everything installed, programming done at infiniti, got the car for 1 day and again same problem came back, amber key light turns on and i can't start the car most of the times, sometimes get lucky and it starts.
took it back to my mechanic, after 2 weeks he told me it was the power steering module fault, got that replaced....went to get my car back and looked like problem was solved, the light would turn on after starting the engine but as soon i started driving it would go away, until today, same problem all over again, unlocked the doors, as soon i open the door, amber key light is on, wanted to start it, no luck, after several tries of getting out, locking and unlocking it finally went away and i could start the engine....got back home, went to turn it off and light came on again, couldn't turn it off, i would press the button, all lights turn off and immediately turn back on, shift into 2nd release clutch and engine turned off, cluster lights stay on, had to disconnect the battery, waited a couple hours, connected the battery again, same problem but this time both amber and red key light stay on and once more couldn't turn off from the ON position.

so "supposedly" both BCM and power steering module were replaced, i say supposedly because I'm starting to get suspicious of my mechanic, and i still have the same problem, last time i went to my mechanic he started rambling about the abs module, like wtf??? I'm no expert in mechanics, just some basic knowledge, but what does the abs module as to do with the key system from the car, besides i get no light for the abs.

any ideas what it could be, because at this rate from what I'm seeing he's gonna change all the module from the car and the problem won't get solved

The only thing i would think of is the ipdm since you said you were having problems with turning it off also, the ipdm is the fuse box under the hood and controls a lot of components in the car so maybe get that looked into. I bought one off ebay for about $125 and plug and play kind of job done in 10 mins and doesn't cost a lot
Old 02-15-2022, 04:28 PM
ro0kie
Registered Member

Update

Update on my G
decides to go to the dealership and finally some answers and confirmations.
so the problem wasn’t either the BCM nor the power steering module.
after the diagnostic, it’s either the IPDM or the harness that connects to the IPDM.
Worst case scenario replacing the harness, anyone knows if the harness comes in sections or it’s required to change all of it? Also any ideas of how much it’s gonna cost?
best case scenario, requires replacing only the IPDM, easy access and doesn’t take long to replace, hopefully this is it.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:53 PM
08VHR
Registered Member

Any updates? Having similar issue and hoping an IPDM replacement will do the trick...