Sponsored By:

Repair or change car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 01:54 PM
deemzter
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Repair or change car?

Hi, im new here and i dont speak english very well.. i need help to know if its worth it to repair the car or better to replace it.

I have a G37xs coupe 2012 with 52xxx km (we have big winter here and the car is out all time). I dont take the car so often as you can see.

I have a clogged resonator so i have to replace (both) and remake the Y pipe.
My garage guy told me that he can hear something rattle in the resonator (resonator part or catalyser part)
He told me that my rear subframe have 2 points (bushing?) that it rusted and breaking apart easily. Got good rust on the arms too (control arms i think?) Almost all the bolts breaking when removed.
I also got a check engine for EVAP very small leak (not gas cap problem)

With all thoses problems, is it worth it to repair the car or to replace it? I dont know yet if my catalytic converter are clogged too (will go check this tomorrow). I know those are expensive and i want to stay street legal (no test pipe or straight pipe) because police are looking so much for those where i live. Im trying to avoid 4000$ + repair on the car because the car is almost 10 years now and other problems will come later. Im living in Canada (east french part)

For now, i have in mind to replace the resonators, Y pipe and maybe sell the car and go for a Lexus.

Thanks for your time and help
Old 08-26-2021, 01:58 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Clogged resonator does not make much sense to me, what's it clogged with?
The rattle in the cats is a non issue, and a common one at that. I ran my car like that for literally 6+ years. All that happens is the cat separates from the internal part of the housing, and rattles around a bit. No functionality is affected. I also don't understand why the Y pipe would need to be replaced.
How do you know the EVAP leak isn't the gas cap?
Old 08-26-2021, 02:11 PM
deemzter
Registered Member

The car is stock with only an axle back from G37 IPL (1 month used) and the right side pipe is getting black and hot really quickly. They told me that something is stuck in one of the resonators and need to be replaced. I dont know car mechanic very well tbh.
They have done (sorry if im wrong) a back pressure test and told me that one of the resonators is stuck.. im going to take my car back later today and he will show me pictures of everything.
With the test they have done and the code they told me that its not the gas cap. He will explain it to me later today.
The guy told me that with all theses problems, i should think to replace the car... i dont know if i am being scammed or if this is legit. He told me everything in french and im trying to translate it here...
In CAD$ he told me that the Y pipe is around 900$ (at infiniti), so i will make it custom somewhere else for a lowest cost.
It seems a hard job for them to repair or replace the rear subframe and expensive too.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:23 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
It sounds like a scam to me. I don't see how it can be clogged, and even if it is you would be able to remove the pipe and remove the blockage.... Maybe you need to get some photos or see it in person.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:21 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Rear subframes rust on these cars, there's been other threads about it. Especially in Ontario/Quebec. There's not a cost effective way to fix it I don't think. The Y pipes also like to rust through on our cars too. Infiniti did a horrible car with these cars rusting unfortunately, and our winters don't help. Are you sure he's talking a clogged resonator not a clogged cat?
Old 08-27-2021, 11:01 AM
deemzter
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, just got my resonators replaced.. Yes 2 resonators were clogged with fiberglass from my last exhaust.. all the inside went up i dont know why but yeah.. 225$ and everything is good.

Now im thinking if i really need to replace the rear subframe because 2 points are really rusted. I will go check to replace the vent valve too to clear up the check engine light
Old 08-28-2021, 12:09 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
The rear subframe isnt too hard to replace (provided you have some experience and tools). I just got done pulling mine out and replacing all the bushings. Its somewhat labor intensive but you can generally find used ones on eBay, shipping can be a little pricey because they are heavy. You can clean them up and paint or undercoat to prevent future rust issues. The biggest thing I would be concerned about is the subframe studs being too rusty. If any of them would break that could be a pretty big problem as they are a part of the unibody structure of the car.