Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Interior Leak (not the sunroof drain)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:19 PM
Mrprocs
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Interior Leak (not the sunroof drain)

Over the last few days the rain here has been insane. I have already fixed the sunroof drain in the car, but there is still a leak somewhere in the car. A ton of water has gotten in at this point and any solution you guys could offer would be great. The water is much worse on the passenger side, but some has also gotten under the carpet on the driver's side. It also seems that more water has moved to the back seat than the front seat at this point.

I've also ran a hose over every inch of the passenger side and am unable to recreate any kind of leak within the interior which has me even more confused.
The following users liked this post:
xorbitman (07-17-2024)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:34 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,079 Posts
Have you checked for any water in the cabin air filter/ blower motor housing?
Old 06-28-2021, 03:38 PM
Mrprocs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Have you checked for any water in the cabin air filter/ blower motor housing?
Blower motor actually stopped working as well today. Should've included that in the original post but had no clue it was related. Would that help narrow down where its coming from?
Old 06-28-2021, 03:48 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Check under hood in battery location. The grommet that goes into fire wall. Top left n image

Make sure its not loose
Old 06-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
As ILM-NC G37S mentioned check to see if filter is wet. Water appears to be going in around that area
Old 06-28-2021, 03:54 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mrprocs
Blower motor actually stopped working as well today. Should've included that in the original post but had no clue it was related. Would that help narrow down where its coming from?
Yes, as that indicates that the windshield cowl seal has failed (likely distintgrated) and is allowing water to leak into the cabin via the fresh air intake duct. If your cabin filter is wet this is the source. This thread explains this culprit in good detail.

As there is no replacement seal for the cowl you will have to design your own remedy. Some have chosen to use foam backer rod while others, like me, chose to use silicone.

Also, to Birdie's suggestion, make sure that grommet is clean, dry, and tight as well. On some cars this is a known water leak culprit as well. I added silicone to that as a preventive measure.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:02 PM
Mrprocs
Registered Member

Yes, as that indicates that the windshield cowl seal has failed (likely distintgrated) and is allowing water to leak into the cabin via the fresh air intake duct. If your cabin filter is wet this is the source. This thread explains this culprit in good detail.

As there is no replacement seal for the cowl you will have to design your own remedy. Some have chosen to use foam backer rod while others, like me, chose to use silicone.

Also, to Birdie's suggestion, make sure that grommet is clean, dry, and tight as well. On some cars this is a known water leak culprit as well. I added silicone to that as a preventive measure.

The cabin filter was indeed wet. I just went checked on the cowl and it was barely even attached to anything. I will go out and grab some silicone and recreate the seal. Thank you both for all the help
Old 04-27-2023, 07:20 PM
zaid0808
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainwater getting through need to find solution please

It rained a lot the past couple days and I know the waters not coming through the sunroof drain I checked the fresh air grommet and it looks fine however when I stick my hand from the engine bay to the cabin air filter the filter is very wet I’m not sure if there should be some sort a cover or anything but this is a new problem need help please. Windshield trim seal looks very bad shape. Is this the problem?

Old 04-27-2023, 08:01 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zaid0808
...the cabin air filter the filter is very wet I’m not sure if there should be some sort a cover or anything but this is a new problem need help please. Windshield trim seal looks very bad shape. Is this the problem?
If the cabin air filter is wet then, yes, the cowl seal has failed and is allowing water to drip onto the filter.

There is no cover to the fresh air duct. It is a crappy design. In my case, the silicone I applied to the cowl failed and water was still pouring in through that duct. I took a old iPad case and fashioned a cover for the duct. That, along with new cowls, has resolved that issue for me.

There are plenty of different methods you can try from silicone to backer rod, to seal that cowl to the windshield. You just have to find what works for you.

I STRONGLY suggest you remove the cabin air filter and check the blower housing for any water. Water is known puddle in that box and seep into the blower motor. This can cause the motor to fail. Catch it before it becomes a issue.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (06-30-2024)
Old 04-27-2023, 10:23 PM
zaid0808
Registered Member

If the cabin air filter is wet then, yes, the cowl seal has failed and is allowing water to drip onto the filter.

There is no cover to the fresh air duct. It is a crappy design. In my case, the silicone I applied to the cowl failed and water was still pouring in through that duct. I took a old iPad case and fashioned a cover for the duct. That, along with new cowls, has resolved that issue for me.

There are plenty of different methods you can try from silicone to backer rod, to seal that cowl to the windshield. You just have to find what works for you.

I STRONGLY suggest you remove the cabin air filter and check the blower housing for any water. Water is known puddle in that box and seep into the blower motor. This can cause the motor to fail. Catch it before it becomes a issue.
Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by zaid0808; 05-07-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:44 AM
zaid0808
Registered Member

Battery and parking brake light on

So as the water was leaking to my passenger floor (at that time I didn’t know it was leaking) I drove the car and when I turned it on after sitting for about an hour, my brake and battery light came on. Is that a coincidence or does it tie together with the leak? Because I know there’s some wiring under the glove box.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:33 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Typically, when the BRAKE and the BATTERY light come on at the same time, while the car is ON, there may be a problem with the charging system (alternator, battery, etc.).

The issue could be related to the water leak, but only proper testing of the charging system will determine if all is well or not.

Keep in mind that if the alternator is malfunctioning, your car will run on battery until it dies at which time the car will shut down entirely. This can happen at a moments notice- even at speed. In other words, limit driving the car until you know for sure it is roadworthy.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
socketz67 (06-30-2024), zaid0808 (05-08-2023)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:01 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't appear to be sunroof drain

Yesterday the weather forecast was heavy rain at night to I installed my car cover which while not fully waterproof is still water resistant and today when I check under my passenger seat on my 2012 G37xS Coupe, there was water in the same spot I suspected was from the sunroof drain however that's wasn't the case. So my best guess is that since the area around the sunroof was bone dry when I lifted the cover and the area around the sunroof drain tube too. My guess is that the water is coming in from either a seal in at the front cowling next to the battery compartment above the air filter. If the air filter has water marks on it my guess is that the seal at the front under the windshield has failed and we need to apply silicone there and/or around the holes/seals or change the sunroof. There's also a small rubber gasket/grommet under the passenger seat near the middle and that was moist with drops so my guess is that water is entering through there. I can try to seal everything around there with marine waterproof clear silicone and the area under the windshield or if my car insurance says they will pay for it with a small deductible as we are no fault here in Montreal, Quebec I may have to pay a small deductible. If we can prove that it is the windshield seal then it has to be fixed.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:19 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

On the Coupe's there are three (3) main sources for water leaking into the cabin: the sunroof drain grommets, the windshield cowl seals (check cabin air filter/blower housing for water) and the A-pillar seals. There are tons of threads on here about solutions for each.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:43 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 282 Likes on 236 Posts
On the Coupe's there are three (3) main sources for water leaking into the cabin: the sunroof drain grommets, the windshield cowl seals (check cabin air filter/blower housing for water) and the A-pillar seals. There are tons of threads on here about solutions for each.
@ILM-NC G37S - Assuming that the seal is integrated into the cowl assembly, can/should the cowl be proactively replaced at some point? Was this difficult to replace? Seems that the seal would be a common point of failure at the 7-10 year mark since the windshield can get very hot and very cold, and containments would sit on/penetrate the seal breaking it down over time.

Quick Reply: Interior Leak (not the sunroof drain)