Coolant Leak Through Cap / Cooling Fans Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 03:46 PM
BAL42
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coolant Leak Through Cap / Cooling Fans Not Working

Hello forum,

I apologize beforehand if this has been a topic of discussion in many previous threads as I have looked through several and not yet confident I'm going in the right direction.

Anyways I have an '08 coupe, last weekend I opened the hood to check some fluids levels and noticed a nice spray of coolant all over the top of the engine cover and under my hood. Figured it was a faulty cap since that's where it appeared it leaked from. Changed out the cap and drove for 15 min or so to notice it was still leaking out of the cap. Just oozing out but not spraying (ran her hard that previous day). I let the car cool down and then started it up to run to operating temps to see whether it was still leaking and still showing some seepage after reaching hot running temp. I'm thinking its possible there could be too much air pockets trapped in the system somehow creating too much pressure when it heats ups in the system. Going to try to bleed the system as much as i can to hopefully see an improvement. Feeling the hoses they are definitely hot and very hard and ridged so taking on a lot of pressure no doubt. More so than usual at least it feels.

Now having said that, during this whole process I noticed my cooling fans weren't turning on at all when I had been running the car in the garage for at least 10 minutes to when the gauge read at running temps. I performed the recommended test ive seen posted with other cooling fan issues and they DO in fact turn on when performing that test.

Could my coolant be getting too hot and causing too much pressure from the fans not running at idle? Could it be a bad temp sensor that isn't signaling my fans to turn on? Could be simply a bad relay? The engine doesn't appear or sound like its overheating either. Temp still reads below halfway on the dash as well. I don't have the tools to check how much power its getting and would really love to avoid taking it to a shop. I really hate cooling system issues and they can be some of the most frustrating problems to diagnose. So please any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:13 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
^^^^^
Follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2008%2FCO.pdf

Where did you purchase the cap?
With a thirteen year old vehicle perhaps all your hoses are due for replacement?
The fans should be running with the A/C on.
You can perform a pressure test to confirm exactly where the leak is.

Good luck