P0524 code = bad oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 AM
AJLombardo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P0524 code = bad oil pressure switch

Hi guys,

so randomly since I bought this car in October, it has thrown a P0524 code.

I was speaking to another person about it, and I'm starting to think the oil pressure sensor is bad. The car runs ****ing GREAT, but intermittently it throws this light.

I'm going to replace the sensor, which I'm told is next to the oil filter, and see what happens. For now im going to drive and keep an eye on it.

We are pretty sure this isn't the original engine in my car. Has anyone ever just had a bad sensor and not had the galley gaskets go? This car has 147k, and as I said, may not be original motor
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
If you are going to go through the hassle of replacing the switch (that is all the "sensor" is) I would strongly suggest you have a oil pressure test performed. More so since you assume this is not the original engine to your car.

Do not assume that just because the car is running "****ing great" that all is good. Too often the car will exhibit NO symptoms until it is too late, oil pressure drops too low, and limp mode kicks in. Again, NO warnings.

Unknown car history, unknown reasoning why/if engine was changed, unknown history of "current" engine, momentary flashing of oil light, too many unknowns.

If nothing else- and pressure is good- the added peace of mind would be benefit alone. Just my 10¢.
The following users liked this post:
petemo94 (09-25-2022)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 AM
AJLombardo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
If you are going to go through the hassle of replacing the switch (that is all the "sensor" is) I would strongly suggest you have a oil pressure test performed. More so since you assume this is not the original engine to your car.

Do not assume that just because the car is running "****ing great" that the gaskets can fail. Too often the car will exhibit NO symptoms until it is too late, oil pressure drops too low, and limp mode kicks in. Again, NO warnings.

Unknown car history, unknown reasoning why/if engine was changed, unknown history of "current" engine, momentary flashing of oil light, too many unknowns.

If nothing else- and pressure is good- the added peace of mind would be benefit alone. Just my 10¢.
Thank you. Good to know. I am going to definitely have that done. I'm just wondering that if the gasket is going bad, if its worth it just to get an engine with lower mileage installed. or just have gaskets fixed?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
That a judgement call that only you and your gut can answer. It all comes down to numbers and how you want to crunch them...

There are literally tons of newer, low mileage VQ37VHR engines out there for way less than $1k.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:10 PM
Saucerboy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AJLombardo
Hi guys,

so randomly since I bought this car in October, it has thrown a P0524 code.

I was speaking to another person about it, and I'm starting to think the oil pressure sensor is bad. The car runs ****ing GREAT, but intermittently it throws this light.

I'm going to replace the sensor, which I'm told is next to the oil filter, and see what happens. For now im going to drive and keep an eye on it.

We are pretty sure this isn't the original engine in my car. Has anyone ever just had a bad sensor and not had the galley gaskets go? This car has 147k, and as I said, may not be original motor
Did the pressure switch fix the issue?
Old 08-05-2021, 02:13 PM
AJLombardo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Saucerboy
Did the pressure switch fix the issue?
Been good since!
Saucerboy (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:22 PM
Saucerboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AJLombardo
Been good since!
Just want to verify, cause I’ve been having the same issues even after replacing my galley gaskets. Did you only replace the oil pressure sensor and you’ve been good since?

Last edited by Saucerboy; 08-05-2021 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Yes
Old 09-16-2022, 06:55 PM
tripled
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Saucerboy
Just want to verify, cause I’ve been having the same issues even after replacing my galley gaskets. Did you only replace the oil pressure sensor and you’ve been good since?
hey bro… I’m having the same problem after changing my gallery gasket. I keep get P0524 code BUT my oil pressures are good 🤷🏽‍♂️

I was wondering if the switch fixed your problem?
Old 09-23-2022, 12:36 PM
AJLombardo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tripled
hey bro… I’m having the same problem after changing my gallery gasket. I keep get P0524 code BUT my oil pressures are good 🤷🏽‍♂️

I was wondering if the switch fixed your problem?
Yessir, it did!
Old 09-24-2022, 09:12 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
A P0524 Engine Oil Pressure code has nothing to do with the oil pressure switch.
Logically you would think the oil pressure switch and oil pressure are related... BUT you need to read the "Detection condition" in the FSM to understand exactly what causes this issue. You can't trust google for this...

From the FSM:
P0524: Engine oil pressure too low.

Detection condition:
Engine oil pressure is low because there is a gap between angle of target and phase-control angle.
^^^ this refers to the cam phasing / VVT and means it can't change the cam timing to the required amount.

The oil pressure switch is not an input to the ECU. It is wired to the IPDM/ER and all it does is turn on the low oil pressure light on the dash, WHEN IT IS <4 PSI!!! (workbench tested & verified)

One last point, I removed the oil pressure switch 2 years ago and replaced it with an aftermarket oil pressure sensor for my gauge.
No codes and I scan my car every few months to see how much the OBD mode $06 test results change over time.
gdsg (09-24-2022)