Sponsored By:

G37 coupe throttle body whistle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 01:57 AM
IssacA
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 coupe throttle body whistle

Okay so I installed takeda long tube intakes on my g but after the startup I hear a loud whistle that never went away. After looking through and figuring out the source I realized that the right throttle body was the culprit unless it’s something further like the intake manifold. Should I just buy a new throttle body or is this a simple common mistake? Please help(it won’t let me post a video of the noise, the video is on my Instagram “g37_issac”

Old 01-08-2021, 01:37 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
What leads you to suspect the throttle body itself is making this noise? Did you remove the TB from the intake manifold (for cleaning, perhaps)? If so, did you remove the o-ring seal?

I do not do this social media stuff so I'm not able to see your video. But, I'm assuming this noise was not present before you installed the Takeda. Therefore, it is likely safe to say it is the intake making this noise. I would double check to make sure all of your couplers and clamps are properly fitted and tight.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:24 AM
IssacA
Registered Member

Whistle in engine bay

To troubleshoot the noise I had the car running and took off the air filter and I heard the noise coming from the right intake tube (right as in if you are sitting in the car facing forwards) I took off the tubing piece by piece until I got to the throttle body, once i separated the tube from the throttle body it got louder which makes me think it is the throttle body, also to check I out the stock intake system back on and at first I couldn’t hear the whistle but once you put your ear right over the throttle body you can faintly hear it, that means its been there since before the intakes which means it’s not the intakes causing it but amplifying the sound because the stock ones have so much sound detoning that it hides it very well, no I didn’t not remove the throttle body yet it might be something else but I’m almost sure it’s the throttle body, is this common?
Old 01-11-2021, 04:57 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by IssacA
...is this common?
Not at all. Some throttle bodies exhibit a electrical "whine" which is normal. It is possible that the o-ring that seals the throttle body to the intake manifold is worn, bit that is exceedingly rare.

Unless you have idle or other driveability issues, I would be inclined to leave well enough alone.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-11-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:47 AM
IssacA
Registered Member

I removed the throttle body from the intake manifold cleaned it to the best of my ability with some shop towels and wd-40 (best thing I had at the time) and took off the throttle body gasket that was dirty I cleaned that also and carefully put the gasket back in(when I took off the throttle body it was stuck to the throttle body itself and when I put it back on I put it on the side of the intake manifold because there is an indent there so it fits perfectly in) and I carefully put the 4 bolts back in. Started her up and the whistle was gone. So if anybody else gets this issue ig just take it off clean everything and put it back together carefully and that should fix it 😂 thank you for the help man I appreciate it🙏
Old 01-12-2021, 12:48 AM
IssacA
Registered Member

All out back together running perfect
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2229.MOV (2.12 MB, 26 views)
Old 01-12-2021, 12:42 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
I was going to guess air leak, probably the coupler from intake tube to TB. TB to manifold, as mentioned, is rare. Glad you figured it out.