Sponsored By:

Do I need to bleed my coolant system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 01:29 AM
GXFR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to bleed my coolant system?

I have a 2011 G37XS. Noticed coolant leaking from a small crack in my upper radiator hose. Wondering if I need to necessarily bleed the entire system or if I can simply replace the hose (coolant levels are below that upper hose now) and top off with coolant? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2020, 06:00 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Replace all fluid since its only good to 100k
Old 06-01-2020, 09:12 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Replace hose, add coolant to overflow to bring it to 'max', squeeze upper rad hose to release any bubbles, turn car on - let it get to temp & blast heat and defrost, squeeze upper hose as it's running, wait until fans kick on, check overflow.

Monitor overflow tank the whole time, don't let it drop under 'min'. Once fans cycle once, and fluid remains just below max mark, I'd say you're good. Take for a drive, and watch the temps. I kept a bottle in the car with me for about 100 miles after I flushed my system just to be safe.

Process is called 'burping'
Old 06-21-2020, 08:17 PM
mrbusterguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, new to this forum... an upcoming repair for my g37 lead me to this thread.

Dealer suggested replacing upper radiator hose due to leaking, I gladly declined so I could tackle it myself and save $$$.
I figured it was just a replacement and top off with coolant type of deal.
*i had my heater hose replaced not too long ago along with a full flush so I doubt id need to flush out the whole system again*

I Bought a replacement upper radiator hose from autozone, along with new worm drive clamps, and (1) Nissan 999MP-L25500P Nissan Long Life Coolant

My reservoir is at min level... please follow up with advice... heres the steps im gonna take...

-take off old clamps and radiator hose (ill have rags under, and a pan on the floor for leakage)
-clean off crusty coolant build up
-put replacement hose and tighten with new clamps
-take off radiator cap, and fill radiator to full with new coolant
-fill reservoir with coolant... Do I put the cap back on the reservoir before running the engine?
-turn on car, blast heater and defroster... top off radiator as needed
- burp system as mentioned by RMB5190... then put on radiator cap after engine gets to temp.

I should be all good after this right?
Old 06-21-2020, 10:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
IMO this is doing a half job. You really should have replaced both upper/lower rad hoses when you heat the heater hoses (there's several) replaced, along with that plastic connector on the driver (?) side. If it were my car I'd replace both hoses now and be done with it. You'll pay more in coolant but won't have to touch it until the next drain/fill.

Fluid loss isn't much with just the top hose but still enough to have a good air bubble up top. Use a bleeding funnel or a vacuum filler to refill. The latter requires no burping/bleeding.