Sponsored By:

Transmission (7AT) Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:02 PM
Malik Scriven
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission (7AT) Help!

Hello all, any advice on what to do if your transmission fluid hasn’t been touched or changed for 6 years? Did some research on my car (2010 Infiniti G37 base coupe) and the previous owners did not maintain the transmission. Now , the car itself is running good, gears shift smoothly , no jumpiness of any sort , but minor transmission slips, check engine light came on one time but it was for low engine oil ..I’m scared as a mechanic told me if they flush the fluid the transmission might not work again😰 ..so what do I do?
Old 04-18-2020, 02:11 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Malik Scriven
Hello all, any advice on what to do if your transmission fluid hasn’t been touched or changed for 6 years? Did some research on my car (2010 Infiniti G37 base coupe) and the previous owners did not maintain the transmission. Now , the car itself is running good, gears shift smoothly , no jumpiness of any sort , but minor transmission slips, check engine light came on one time but it was for low engine oil ..I’m scared as a mechanic told me if they flush the fluid the transmission might not work again😰 ..so what do I do?

According to official Infiniti service manual, the 7AT does not need fluid change. But if the car has high mileage, then it is recommended. The fluid in mine is 7 years old but only 36k. So I do not plan on doing it for some time. INFINITI cannot void warranty for not changing the fluid, because it is technically not supposed to be changed. ( I think this is accurate)
The following users liked this post:
Dove.G37 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Dove.G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GLife14
According to official Infiniti service manual, the 7AT does not need fluid change. But if the car has high mileage, then it is recommended. The fluid in mine is 7 years old but only 36k. So I do not plan on doing it for some time. INFINITI cannot void warranty for not changing the fluid, because it is technically not supposed to be changed. ( I think this is accurate)
(Malik Scriven) So , this is my first G37 ,only 10months now, (had 115,000mi 4/12/19 ) no prior transmission work done to it ,I have maintained everything else engine bay wise , RUNS LIKE A BEAST (with some intakes and an exhaust) but after coming up on 145,000 mi I noticed the transmission slipping , less power , and not so responsive 😢 ...went to the dealership today and the guy was nervous saying “if it’s over 150,000 and had no work on it before AND your having slips , if we do a flush the transmission might not work again”...😢 any more information you need let me know but right now it seems my cars life is on my hands ...only at 152,000 now ,so I honestly want to assume it’s still ok enough to change but idk I need more info from the public
Old 04-18-2020, 09:11 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dove.G37
(Malik Scriven) So , this is my first G37 ,only 10months now, (had 115,000mi 4/12/19 ) no prior transmission work done to it ,I have maintained everything else engine bay wise , RUNS LIKE A BEAST (with some intakes and an exhaust) but after coming up on 145,000 mi I noticed the transmission slipping , less power , and not so responsive 😢 ...went to the dealership today and the guy was nervous saying “if it’s over 150,000 and had no work on it before AND your having slips , if we do a flush the transmission might not work again”...😢 any more information you need let me know but right now it seems my cars life is on my hands ...only at 152,000 now ,so I honestly want to assume it’s still ok enough to change but idk I need more info from the public
you may actually have a failing transmission and changing the fluid may just make it worse. I would avoid the dealer and seek other shops for professional diagnostic on the transmission.honestly I would just keep driving it then just change the transmission with a used one when time comes.
The following users liked this post:
Dove.G37 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:59 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
If the car hasn't had dealer flushes from an early point, I'd stay away from flushing the transmission.

Instead, we recommend a 3x drain and refill from the pan rather than a flush. There is a great DIY on how to do this in the DIY section. I did this on my 7AT at 61,000 miles and am at 90k now with no issues. Simply drain the fluid and refill based on the walkthrough, and repeat two more times to try and get all of the old fluid out. If you are really worried, you can drive the car for a few hundred miles after doing this and then drain one more time and refill, as that will help everything cycle through the trans, although following the 3x drain and refill has worked fine for most members here. It does require either some specific tools (there's a special fitting for the trans pan fill hole) that you can either buy, or you can make diy. I went the DIY route and made a pump with a garden sprayer, some tubing, and a proper fitting that I got on eBay for a few bucks.

If you aren't mechanically inclined to do this yourself, you can have a dealer do the 3x drain and refill for you, just specifically request this and make sure that they actually do this, and not a flush.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfridge92:
Dove.G37 (04-18-2020), dtg11 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:43 PM
Dove.G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jfridge92
If the car hasn't had dealer flushes from an early point, I'd stay away from flushing the transmission.

Instead, we recommend a 3x drain and refill from the pan rather than a flush. There is a great DIY on how to do this in the DIY section. I did this on my 7AT at 61,000 miles and am at 90k now with no issues. Simply drain the fluid and refill based on the walkthrough, and repeat two more times to try and get all of the old fluid out. If you are really worried, you can drive the car for a few hundred miles after doing this and then drain one more time and refill, as that will help everything cycle through the trans, although following the 3x drain and refill has worked fine for most members here. It does require either some specific tools (there's a special fitting for the trans pan fill hole) that you can either buy, or you can make diy. I went the DIY route and made a pump with a garden sprayer, some tubing, and a proper fitting that I got on eBay for a few bucks.

If you aren't mechanically inclined to do this yourself, you can have a dealer do the 3x drain and refill for you, just specifically request this and make sure that they actually do this, and not a flush.
so it worked...for a little while (bout 3 hours ) before I was cruising at 55 and the service light started flashing and I slowed down and pulled over and the engine started sputtering....any suggestions now? Gonna have it towed to him to read the codes but now a little worried...
Old 04-21-2020, 04:39 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts
Report back when you find out what the problem was
Old 05-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Dove.G37
Registered Member

Transmission fluid change

Sorry for the delay guys ,had to be patient, Finally got it towed to the mechanic, read the codes and got a “Random Cylinder misfire” (P 0300) and “Camshaft positioning “A” Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 2 “ (P 0021) . Relieved to see it wasn’t the transmission, so the next process the mechanic wants done is to check the spark plugs and fuel injectors to see if any of them had gone bad, also as the car-fax is indicating that some services haven’t been done in a couple of years, So if here’s anything else we should try to resolve this please let me know , I greatly appreciate all the tips and help 🙏🏽❤️