60k Maintenence For New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 AM
Jee37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
60k Maintenence For New Owner

Hi 37'ers,

Got a new 2013 g37xS here and going to hit close to 60k miles by the end of winter. I know come spring/summer I will be driving more so I wanted to start getting ready for my 60k maintenance. I've read all over the forum about doing this and that and have a good list going but wanted to run it by everyone.

Please note that I just bought the car at 54k and have no history of the car (no idea when any of the fluids were or if they were changed)

This is what I have planned:
1. Oil change 54k to 57k then at 60k
2. Front & Rear differentials (x models have 2 correct?)
3. Brake fluid change
4. Transmission fluid change
5. Coolant flush/change
6. Grease bushings?

Any other fluid changes people would recommend to be safe?

Also, OEM rotors and brakes are going to come due here at 60k as well so I will be replacing both then.

I've heard once you do an extensive 60k you are set until 100k 110k?

Thanks for the help everyone and hope this helps other g37xS'ers in the future!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Also consider the following:

Coolant drain/fill (not a bad idea to replace radiator cap too).
Belt replacement
power steering fluid renew

I don't recall these cars having any greaseable bushings.

Brake materials get replaced when needed, not really mileage based. Do inspect regularly.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
In addition to what you and Jsolo have listed, you should also change the transfer case fluid. Its usally part of a driveline service when you change the front and rear diff oil.

There are DIY's on driveline services on here that should be helpful.

Jsolo is right, there aren't any greasable bushings on the car, but it probably wouldn't hurt to pop the sway bar bushings off and grease them, just remember to use something waterproof and tacky otherwise it will wash out and you will probably have squeaking where you didn't previously.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Eyeshield25

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
For 60k I did engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, coolant drain and refill(not flush), replaced coolant hoses because they were deteriorating, new thermostat, serpentine belt. I also went ahead and replace my rotors and pads.

Last edited by Eyeshield25; 10-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^How much of a headache was it to R&R the tstat? It uses a simple oring for sealing not a full gasket, right?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Also consider the following:

Coolant drain/fill (not a bad idea to replace radiator cap too).
Belt replacement
power steering fluid renew

I don't recall these cars having any greaseable bushings.

Brake materials get replaced when needed, not really mileage based. Do inspect regularly.
Jsolo how hard was it to replace the belt? I've heard it can be quite the job but also heard it's not bad either.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Belt is relatively easy to do. Remove the reservoir, take tension off the belt, remove a pulley, remove belt, install new.

There's a DIY thread with more details. https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-09-g37-2.html
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
probably wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensors and throttle bodies, too.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:02 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A couple mechanics have told me to never replace the trans fluid. The reasoning is because - overtime it builds up deposits inside and when you change the fluid to clean fluid, the clean fluid will break up the deposits creating 'chunky' pieces and is the main reason for the transmission to fail.

Is this accurate? I've never known... just spreading what I've been told. My G is currently 2008 with 108k miles and never replaced the trans fluid
Old 10-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnysG
A couple mechanics have told me to never replace the trans fluid. The reasoning is because - overtime it builds up deposits inside and when you change the fluid to clean fluid, the clean fluid will break up the deposits creating 'chunky' pieces and is the main reason for the transmission to fail.

Is this accurate? I've never known... just spreading what I've been told. My G is currently 2008 with 108k miles and never replaced the trans fluid

This seems to be the conventional position on high mileage cars that have never had their fluids changed before by a lot of older mechanics. It doesn't apply to cars that have had their trans fluid changed regularly at lower mileage as the idea is that the chunks would not have had a chance to build up.

Some mechanics wont do a trans fluid change on a high mileage vehicle.

I'm not necessarily convinced its true for modern cars but I could be wrong...this is for two reasons.

First nowadays mechanics only want to do the fluid change via flush (I.e hooking it up to machine that uses pressure to force out the old fluid and puts in new fluid) because it can be done super fast and they charge flate rate for that kind of service. The alternative is doing a pan drop and a drain and fill which could take hours as opposed to minutes and they wont do it that way at all so they say they don't recommend it (but they really mean the flush)

Second, modern transmissions seem to go a lot longer without the fluids breaking down the way they used to.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 AM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a hard time knowing what to think about this whole issue of ATF in modern cars as well. Currently I am not convinced by that “don’t change fluid on a high mileage car” concept and I am definitely not convinced on lifetime fluid. A couple of personal experiences. My daughters 12 year old Camry with 150k miles developed torque converter shudder. According to Toyota the fluid is lifetime. On inspection, fluid level was correct and the fluid looked and smelled fine. It maybe was a little darker than new fluid but was still basically bright red. After a triple drain and refill and pan drop and filter change at the dealer - problem gone for two years now and counting. I had the ATF in my 2011 G replaced at 100k at a dealer. Infiniti also calls it lifetime fluid under normal driving. It shifts a bit more crisply than it did before. If I had it to do over I probably would change it earlier, maybe 60-75k, but I don’t really believe in this point of no return on higher mileage cars. Drain and fill vs flush - I don’t know who to believe. To maximize my comfort level I had the G fluid changed by a dealer, trusting they know best. A bit to my surprise they used valvoline atf instead of Nissan fluid, which I have since read is probably a good thing.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:47 PM
DustU
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy DISASTER AFTER 7AT Tranmission fluid change

CHANGED, NOT FLUSHED my 60K G37XS trans fluid using OEM fluid, Now I'm searching for rebuilt transmissions (6K+) as my car slips and revs like I'm trying to show off when all I really want to do is move! Even worse after a 30 or 30 min drive.My advice? LEAVE IT ALONE ENTIRELY!

Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DustU
CHANGED, NOT FLUSHED my 60K G37XS trans fluid using OEM fluid, Now I'm searching for rebuilt transmissions (6K+) as my car slips and revs like I'm trying to show off when all I really want to do is move! Even worse after a 30 or 30 min drive.My advice? LEAVE IT ALONE ENTIRELY!
Wow! That is surprising and I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. I really don’t know what to think on this topic.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DustU
Where did you get it done at?
What fluid did they use?
Was the filter replaced? (if possible)

​​​Just some questions to ask as these could be instigators to the tyranny slip
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 AM
DustU
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it changed, they checked the filter and gladly none was needed, no little metal specs in the pan so a little blessing, I used Nissan ATF and 24oz of Lucas.I found a used tranny for less than the 6K quote been driving around the city without an issue, highways im afraid to try again for fear of that dreaded slip/rev, will; keep the thread updated.

Quick Reply: 60k Maintenence For New Owner