Sponsored By:

On the Fence...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
On the Fence...

Hey guys, so I'm on the fence about trading in my G. For a while now I have had headroom issues and due to my bad lower back, it's not comfortable to drive on long trips or being stuck in traffic.

The straw that is possibly breaking the camel's back; I'm plagued with the passenger side airbag sensor that is in the passenger seat. You know, when an adult passenger sits in the car and the little light indicats if there is enough weight to deploy the airbag if you are in a collision. Well my sensor is malfunctioning and the airbag will not deploy when a 200lb+ person is in the seat. My service adviser confirmed if, if I am in an accident and the airbag should deploy, it will not. Took it to the dealer, my Allstate extended warranty does not cover seat belts or airbags. My car is a 2011 so I'm not sure if I still fall in the government mandated safety warranty. My adviser said the sensor is indeed malfunctioning and to replace the sensor, I have to buy a whole passenger seat at $8,400.00. I spoke with my insurance guy and he said I need to get the seat fixed to trade it in. I am now liable since I have been made aware of the safety issue, and have not acted on it. This puts me between a rock and a hard place.

Any advise? I still owe a little on the car, not nearly enough to have a huge loss. However I really don't want another car note, and I have an aftermarket warranty with this car until 95,000 miles.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Austin
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Hey guys, so I'm on the fence about trading in my G. For a while now I have had headroom issues and due to my bad lower back, it's not comfortable to drive on long trips or being stuck in traffic.

The straw that is possibly breaking the camel's back; I'm plagued with the passenger side airbag sensor that is in the passenger seat. You know, when an adult passenger sits in the car and the little light indicats if there is enough weight to deploy the airbag if you are in a collision. Well my sensor is malfunctioning and the airbag will not deploy when a 200lb+ person is in the seat. My service adviser confirmed if, if I am in an accident and the airbag should deploy, it will not. Took it to the dealer, my Allstate extended warranty does not cover seat belts or airbags. My car is a 2011 so I'm not sure if I still fall in the government mandated safety warranty. My adviser said the sensor is indeed malfunctioning and to replace the sensor, I have to buy a whole passenger seat at $8,400.00. I spoke with my insurance guy and he said I need to get the seat fixed to trade it in. I am now liable since I have been made aware of the safety issue, and have not acted on it. This puts me between a rock and a hard place.

Any advise? I still owe a little on the car, not nearly enough to have a huge loss. However I really don't want another car note, and I have an aftermarket warranty with this car until 95,000 miles.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Austin
I am sorry to hear about your issue. Would it be possible to find a replacement at the junkyard?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I spoke with my insurance guy and he said I need to get the seat fixed to trade it in. I am now liable since I have been made aware of the safety issue, and have not acted on it.
I don't believe this to be necessarily true. I believe that as long as you notify a potential purchaser of the issue that you are okay.

Also think of it this way, there are millions of cars on the road that did not come equipped with a factory airbag. There are many that didn't even come factory equipped with seat belts.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Originally Posted by stealthee
I don't believe this to be necessarily true. I believe that as long as you notify a potential purchaser of the issue that you are okay.

Also think of it this way, there are millions of cars on the road that did not come equipped with a factory airbag. There are many that didn't even come factory equipped with seat belts.
His advise was trade it in, then it falls on the dealership notifying the purchaser, or I could notify a potential purchaser.

As for the millions of cars statements, I think my insurance guy's point is the factory safety equipment is not working. One could and should assume a fully loaded 2011 G37 would have functioning safety equipment including airbags. Say I get into an accident and did not know about the issue, then my passenger would have a harder time seeking legal damages from me. Where if I knew safety equipment was not functioning properly and didn't tell the passenger and got into an accident, then I am neglecting my car and allowed someone get in an unsafe vehicle.

Getting into a car without seat belts is fairly obvious. Airbags cannot be seen without taking apart the trim. Think about it, when was the last time anyone checked to see if they had airbags when they buy or go for a ride in a car? I know I haven't! Blind-faith so to speak.

Lawyers are crafty and potential money can ruin friendships. My insurance guy is a broker and has been doing this for years, and is looking out for me.

Not saying you are wrong, just continuing the topic of discussion!

As for going to the junk yard, I've thought about that but it will still be very expensive and I have no way of knowing that I am not buying another seat with the same issue.

The main point of the post is to see if anyone knows anything about safety equipment warranties!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
This is my personal opinion on the matter, and may not necessarily reflect your concerns entirely.

However, given the circumstances around your back, I feel that you should take that into account first. You say you don't owe very much on the car, so sticking to a brand or a particular car (especially if you are in the financial position to dictate otherwise) seems unwise. Future medical expenses could outweigh you picking up another car now that you find more comfortable.

I don't know otherwise about the legality of the situation regarding trade-in.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
A whole new passenger seat at $8400? WTH find another dealer!!! Somebody's trying to scam you!!!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
His advise was trade it in, then it falls on the dealership notifying the purchaser, or I could notify a potential purchaser.

As for the millions of cars statements, I think my insurance guy's point is the factory safety equipment is not working. One could and should assume a fully loaded 2011 G37 would have functioning safety equipment including airbags. Say I get into an accident and did not know about the issue, then my passenger would have a harder time seeking legal damages from me. Where if I knew safety equipment was not functioning properly and didn't tell the passenger and got into an accident, then I am neglecting my car and allowed someone get in an unsafe vehicle.

Getting into a car without seat belts is fairly obvious. Airbags cannot be seen without taking apart the trim. Think about it, when was the last time anyone checked to see if they had airbags when they buy or go for a ride in a car? I know I haven't! Blind-faith so to speak.

Lawyers are crafty and potential money can ruin friendships. My insurance guy is a broker and has been doing this for years, and is looking out for me.

Not saying you are wrong, just continuing the topic of discussion!

As for going to the junk yard, I've thought about that but it will still be very expensive and I have no way of knowing that I am not buying another seat with the same issue.

The main point of the post is to see if anyone knows anything about safety equipment warranties!
On the one note I'd prefer it if a car didn't have airbags. People have been suckered in by the NHTSA and federal government into believing that you will die if your car doesn't have airbags.

As far as the warranty is concerned according to the NHTSA website some manufacturers have lifetime warranty on seatbelts but about all manufacturers airbags are only covered under the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

If I were you I would dig deeper and find out for sure that the sensor cannot be purchased separately. If it cannot then that is a massive failure on the part of Infiniti. I'd also delve deeper into the price of seats from other dealers.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Used seats pop up on ebay all the time. I know its a bit of a risk since you don't know if their sensors are fully operational, but still an alternative.

As far as the head room goes, I'm nearly positive I heard a discussion here or maybe one of the FB groups that there is someone who modifies our seats for added clearance. I could be mistaken though...
Old 06-03-2017, 01:45 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
There's no way a seat is $8400. The entire engine from infiniti is $9000~. I would check local VQ pages or a junkyard (car-part.com) I have seen loads of people selling all the OEM seats for $400 or less.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
8500 is so outrageous it pegs my BS meter. The dealer is trying to rape you. I'd get a second opinion.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Used seats pop up on ebay all the time. I know its a bit of a risk since you don't know if their sensors are fully operational, but still an alternative.

As far as the head room goes, I'm nearly positive I heard a discussion here or maybe one of the FB groups that there is someone who modifies our seats for added clearance. I could be mistaken though...
Thanks for all the replies guys! I totally understand where y'all are coming from where this is a rip off and the dealer is trying to take advantage of me. My service advisor actually told the parts department that was way too much and we were not doing that before he even told me. So I don't think they are trying to pull a fast one, but this dealership is in Dallas. Some people will just say oh ok here's my card. Must be nice lol.

Anyway I'll check eBay and places like that as well as the forum.

As for the headroom mod, if you are talking about lowering the seat by unthreading one of the nuts, been there done that . Now if someone else is doing other mods that's one thing. I spoke to someone local and on this forum about modding the seat pretty heavily, but I don't think I'm going that route. There gets to be a point where it's time to throw in the towel. This isn't a SL 300 lol
Old 06-03-2017, 06:51 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
I did some checking and the Occupant Detection Sensor (passenger) can not be purchased separately. A whole new seat bottom is needed to the tune of roughly $5500-$6700.

Unreal.

According to parts.infinitiusa.com's website and the FSM, the bottom cushion, adjuster assembly, occupant sensor, and frame are one (1) complete unit.

On the Fence...-20170603_184740.jpg

Might be able to just find the seat bottom off eBay rather than the whole seat.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I looked that up last night and the IPL seat was 8000 grand. What is infiniti smoking? Don't they realize our cars aren't what they used to be? And in 10 yrs most of them will be in the junk yard. But, maybe they'll blow out the left over seats for like 90 percent off.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Unreal.

Understanding you want to mitigate responsibility....I'd order a junk yard/ebay/classifieds seat that was in verified working order, swap it myself, and unload the car.

And I'd delete this thread.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Cut the cord... It's time to move on.

Get yourself something super comfortable to drive, but still a rewarding experience. There are lots of cars that fit that description, although most are Sedans. The Maxima, for example, and the Avalon, the Taurus SHO, the 300C Hemi, etc. Guaranteed each will be easier to get in and out of, and likely easier on your back. Certainly they will have a more luxurious cabin than a G.