Sponsored By:

Damage to a loaner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Teddy Greyson
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up this product at advanced auto parts today

And it removed all the paint! The scratches are still there but far less noticeable ... I'm not disclosing anything to the dealership unless they ask. No harm no foul right?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
That's the product I was referring to. Perfect
Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
So by your logic if the dealer did the same you would be ok with it?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Seriously? This is a dealer loaner that the dealer expects will get abused. I think it was actually better of him to return it with the blemishes removed vs having the dealer fix it. He didn't do anything wrong. I'd love to see you walk in to the dealership with a small scratch on their loaner begging to see the manager so you can confess your sins. Please don't act like that's how it would go down. To be honest, he probably could have brought it in scratched and they wouldn't have done anything anyway
The following users liked this post:
Teddy Greyson (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Teddy Greyson
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
If it buffs out you're fine it's a different story if it doesn't
BRUH .. it buffed out
Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Seriously? This is a dealer loaner that the dealer expects will get abused. I think it was actually better of him to return it with the blemishes removed vs having the dealer fix it. He didn't do anything wrong. I'd love to see you walk in to the dealership with a small scratch on their loaner begging to see the manager so you can confess your sins. Please don't act like that's how it would go down. To be honest, he probably could have brought it in scratched and they wouldn't have done anything anyway
That makes me

Loaner cars are not showroom cars, so I've always seen nicks and scratches on every loaner car that I've ever been given. Even when I pointed them out before driving away, I was always told not to worry about it.

Just don't return it with a bashed in bumper or door and expect no reaction from them, though.
The following users liked this post:
Teddy Greyson (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:34 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
So by your logic if the dealer did the same you would be ok with it?
Lol. Someones hurt.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Nope just think how you would handle it if it was your car that they buffed out and didn't tell you.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Nope just think how you would handle it if it was your car that they buffed out and didn't tell you.
The owner of that car and the dealership is on the beach in the Philippines, sippin martinis and couldn't care less. The detail shop would have washed it and parked it for the next guy. We saw this kind of stuff when I worked for Lexus years ago, no one cared.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

There are a handful of dealers who actually own the cars on their lots and not make monthly payments to infiniti. And I've seen service deny customers loaners even for major service because of little things like this. It's a courtesy not an expectation. And dealerships do share info like this with others so customers don't try to shop around to get service.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:24 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
There are a handful of dealers who actually own the cars on their lots and not make monthly payments to infiniti. And I've seen service deny customers loaners even for major service because of little things like this. It's a courtesy not an expectation. And dealerships do share info like this with others so customers don't try to shop around to get service.
You obviously go to a $hitty dealer. The one I go to only deny loaner cars based on availability. They are loaned out on a "first-come, first-serve" basis, not the amount of $$$ you have to spend on service/repair. Like I said earlier, they don't care about little scratches here and there, either. Just don't damage the car, that's all. They don't even do before/after walkarounds.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Doubt Grubbs or Sewell are as you say sh1tty. They just have policies in place to protect everyone. And they do along with taking pictures since they do pick up and delivery. And they don't have to give you a loaner even if you're paying for service again it's a courtesy
Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I think there's a certain level of "wear and tear" to be expected on a loaner car...In a dealership's situation, your car is not going to be put into a situation where it is going to experience excessive wear and tear and you're not leaving it there with the same assumption. So yes, I'd be saying WTF if I found out someone at the dealership was using my car in such a way I had not agreed on - I took my car in for service, not to be a loaner DD. It's kept in a lot or taken up and down the street for a test run of any services performed. A dealership loans you the car with the expectation it will be put into a everyday driving scenarios where wear and tear can and will occur.

These cars aren't brand new and aren't sold as such to customers later on when they're rotated out of the loaner line. Customers who do purchase these cars after (X) amount of years or (X) amount of miles do so at a reduced cost fully expecting them not to be 100% perfect. That's like saying you expected a 1yr 30k mile vehicle to be flawless - it just isn't going to happen and these buyers are okay with that because this wear and tear drops these cars into their price range. Helps the dealership clear inventory as well but it also is a courtesy from them which helps build a good relationship with the customer receiving the loaner. I'd have been pretty pissed if the dealership broke my radiator fan 2 weeks ago then refused to give me a loaner to drive 50-60 miles home...Not only was it a courtesy but a olive branch to show they care about you and want to retain you. It's a win - win for them really.

That being said, there is a degree of trust a dealership is showing by allowing you to take a loaner and you need to treat it as if it were your own, which I believe the OP did. He didn't operate the vehicle in such a way that that led to the damage. He clearly demonstrated that by taking another means of transportation home after drinking. Most others would say "it's a loaner...f-it" What happened is basically sh*t luck that could happen any day to one of our own cars. Would I file a claim? Hell no, I'd go out, get some wax and buff that stuff out; just like the OP did.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

It's a back and forth trust. The dealer had my car for service and to replace window actuator and motor due to it vibrating. While there another tech hit the edge of my.door whole it was open causing edge to fold over. Without asking they didn't fix the door they replaced the door along with new panel retinted the window and did a full detail. I also got a check for deprecated value with no hassle and they covered the 60k service when it goes back. So I guess being honest with my service manager and dealership just makes things like this easier. And yes I verified if was a new oem door and not my old one bc I didn't see my marker I put on it that only I knew where it was
Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Right, but that's not something you anticipated on happening or a implied risk you agreed to take when leaving your vehicle there with them. If on the other hand, you loaned the car to your mother, son, daughter, significant other, etc. and they opened the door too fast and clipped the edge or bumped it in a similar manner would you expect them to come out of pocket for a new door and paint? I'd hope not lol but that is an assumed risk when letting someone take your car into a real world, wear and tear scenario. For lack of a better term...Sh*t happens.

Off cue, That's awesome you found a dealer you have that relationship with and I envy it in a way. I've yet to come across a dealership that I'd trust and a lot of the other posters seemed to have had similar experiences. It's like you driving a car from brand X that has been ultra reliable and awesome in every way during ownership. Meanwhile, we've all owned brand X products and they've failed us in every way; multiple times. Of course, you will love brand X while we despise them.