G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Looking to cut weight what I'd the best ways to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to cut weight what I'd the best ways to do?

I want to reduce the weight was thinking I should start with lighter wheels. Anyone have any ideas to the best way to lighten my 08g37s coupe
Old 03-09-2017, 08:59 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
driver mod... hit the gym
not sure you can lose much without starting to sacrifice things...
my suggestion... work on getting more power to offset the weight... go FI
Old 03-09-2017, 09:06 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Haha you funny I'm in shape hit the gym 3 times a week but that doesn't really answer my question... But thanks for replying... I'm fairly new to the G family my first one and only had it for 3 months
Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
-Aftermarket exhaust system (titanium best) from the headers back
-Wheels
-Certain tires in certain sizes offer a weight loss vs. OEM
-Two piece rotors (Z1 Motorsports)
-Aftermarket lightweight seats
-Rear seat delete
-Lithium battery
-Full true-type coilover setup

You're really not going to loose much weight from say a carbon hood or rear trunk as the OEM pieces don't weigh much and most of the aftermarket stuff is wet-laid and thus heavy. After the above, there's not much else you can do but jettison things like the electronics, carpet or start cutting metal bits off the car.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
-Aftermarket exhaust system (titanium best) from the headers back
-Wheels
-Certain tires in certain sizes offer a weight loss vs. OEM
-Two piece rotors (Z1 Motorsports)
-Aftermarket lightweight seats
-Rear seat delete
-Lithium battery
-Full true-type coilover setup

You're really not going to loose much weight from say a carbon hood or rear trunk as the OEM pieces don't weigh much and most of the aftermarket stuff is wet-laid and thus heavy. After the above, there's not much else you can do but jettison things like the electronics, carpet or start cutting metal bits off the car.

Oh ok thanks I am looking into some new wheels and tires for summer anyway do you have any suggestions on a good combo of lightweight wheels and tires? I have seen some nice exhaust system but will continue to find something fairly light with a good sound and best HP gain
Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
The best way to drop 500+ pounds is to get a 370z.

The G37 is is not a light weight and 10 pounds per wheel won't really do much.
The G37 is a 3700 pound car and you can't really change that.
The following users liked this post:
Kris9884 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I'm very good at spending other people's money. How much would you like to spend? What wheel sizes are you looking at and what's the intended use of the car?

If lightness is of prime importance, you're looking at an 18" setup but also consider your tire choice as the 18" tires can actually be heavier than the 19's. So look at the entire wheel/tire package.

Generally speaking, Volk makes some incredibly lightweight wheels. I ran a set of SE37K's, 18x9.5" on my RX7 and they were 16.5 pounds each. But you're also going to pay in between $3-4K for their lightest sets in 18" or 19".

For my G, I saved a few pounds per wheel but I saved even more with my tire choice (Michelin PSS) by not going overly large (255/40/19). Lighter than the stock Bridgestones while being larger at all four corners.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
The best way to drop 500+ pounds is to get a 370z.

The G37 is is not a light weight and 10 pounds per wheel won't really do much.
The G37 is a 3700 pound car and you can't really change that.
THIS is honestly the best answer you'll get. You'll get a large increase in NVH with the loss of those 500 pounds but you'll gain a lot of performance too.

With my list, the total weight loss is probably 200 pounds and you'll spend a ton of money getting there.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
you bought the wrong car - its a somewhat heavy highway cruiser, not a parking lot cone racer.

just an axle-back exhaust (stock rear muffler is HUGE and HEAVY) is a cheap way to shed lbs. other than that, you'll spend a LOT of money for not a lot of gain.

read a comparison of wheel weights vs acceleration, and there was practically no difference.

"Road conditions during both tests were the same. The only difference was that the outside temperature was about 2-3 degrees Celsius lower during the second set of tests.

To be really honest, I found the results to be a little disappointing. I expected the differences between the two set of wheels to be much more noticable. Measured over all four wheels, the OZ wheels are 28% lighter than the BBS wheels, and 25% when compared with just the rear wheels.
Judging from the results, the difference in these acceleration runs was ONLY about 0.05 seconds.
The fastest times were exactly the same for both wheel types. However, the slowest times were noticably longer with the BBS wheels, 5.88 versus 5.74 seconds. Also, the standard deviation with the BBS-tests is much larger than the tests with the OZ wheels.
I don't believe this had to do with me getting better at it, because, as it was done, the test was relatively simple. Just roll the car at idle RPM and then press the accelerator down.
In all, what I learned from these tests is that the differences between heavy wheels and light wheels might be a lot smaller then one would expect."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-their-results
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Yeah, this topic has been brought up many times. You got the wrong car for what you're after. Don't make a car what it isn't, enjoy the luxuries and stay confident that even in stock form, you're faster and more nimble than a majority of the daily drivers out there.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Take spare out remove seats and put in racing seats. Remove insulation
Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 PM
TelephasicG

It's a good question to ask, especially now, as new vehicle models are getting faster and more efficient every year. As of right now, there is an ever-growing list of bone-stock econo-boxes, SUVs, crossovers and pickup trucks, all of which are quicker than the G and get better gas mileage.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by TelephasicG
It's a good question to ask, especially now, as new vehicle models are getting faster and more efficient every year. As of right now, there is an ever-growing list of bone-stock econo-boxes, SUVs, crossovers and pickup trucks, all of which are quicker than the G and get better gas mileage.
Apples and Oranges bro.. Hmm, show me an econo-box, SUV, crossover or pickup that is faster and more efficient than a G37, at our price point of say, $15k or less...
Old 03-10-2017, 03:51 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I have similar ideas for my G, and adding to the items mentioned above, rotating weight is on my to-do list:
-wheels (I have my eyes on 18" RPF1's)
-lightweight crankshaft pulley (OEM size, not underdrive)
-flywheel/clutch
-carbon fiber driveshaft

At the end of the day, you'll be able to save around 200-300lbs, mostly from replacing the front seats and deleting the rear seats/spare/tools. Sure, it's not going to weigh as much as an Elise but you can definitely feel the handling characteristics change. Don't let the naysayers bog you down, because they'll be bogged down by, well...their car
The following users liked this post:
PX370GT (03-12-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Thanks for everyone's input I have a lot of new ideas and a good direction to go...