Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What do you think of your G37?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Eh I kinda regret buying it to be honest. Not because it's a bad DD and not because it's not fast. Because I wanted a car I could take to track days and drive home. It costs so much money just to make the car trackable. LSD, cooling, sways, brakes.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Had mine for... 2 years I think? Bought my 2012 X coupe with around 36k miles on it and now I'm around 65k. Honestly, it's fine. I'm getting pretty bored with it to be honest. If the FI exhaust didn't sound so good I'd be even more over it than I am. It does a lot of things well - kinda quick, reliable, enough room for most reasonable tasks, comfy- but doesn't excel at any single one of them. It's just... good.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:38 PM
C-G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Eh I kinda regret buying it to be honest. Not because it's a bad DD and not because it's not fast. Because I wanted a car I could take to track days and drive home. It costs so much money just to make the car trackable. LSD, cooling, sways, brakes.
Yeah probs should've bought a FR-S or BRZ is kinda what I'm thinking I should've done. Or a 911. I'll probably change from the G to a 911 myself.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:55 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Originally Posted by C-G37
Yeah probs should've bought a FR-S or BRZ is kinda what I'm thinking I should've done. Or a 911. I'll probably change from the G to a 911 myself.
I looked at the fr-s brz and didn't fit. Simply too large to drive the car comfortably. I don't need a track queen at the moment, but should have gone e46 and saved a boat load of money. Arguably would have spent said boat load on maintenance and repairs had I gone the e46 route.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
ive had several friends go through the subframe issues on the e46.. one went s2k and the other s4..
they never looked back... they both compete in solo2 and are now over 130k miles each with just maintenance stuff..

hate the fact that with the g... you cant extract much out of NA mods..
to really get anywhere with her... you have to go fi
Old 02-28-2017, 03:34 PM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Review of my 2012 G37X coupe

I purchased mine used in 2015 with 48,000 miles, now I have 76,000 miles.

Pros:
-95% of the time, fastest car on the road, no one can pass me
- Comfortable
- Well made
- Safe
- Great audio / standard features
- Amazing in the snow, never gets stuck
- Very reliable, just oil changes

Cons
- Paint sucks, chips easily
- Body roll
- Heavy
- Gas mileage sucks

The cons can easily be corrected with suspension modifications and paint maintenance. Gas mileage comes with a performance based vehicle, so can't really complain.

Overall 8/10. Definitely better then the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C Class, Lexus Is350, Cadillac CTS
Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Had it for 5 years bought it at 38k it's a 08 model, sorta reliable, had to fix my axle click noise from both of the rear axles and currently still trying to find a place beside the stealership to fix my possible fuel damper noise that has been driving me crazy over the past year, and recently the car started to develop some vibration whenever it comes to a stop, not the throttle body related kind of vibration but more like it's coming from the tranny or the rear diff. other than that the car is good, still looks good and comfortable.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:00 PM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by xxg00w0
Had it for 5 years bought it at 38k it's a 08 model, sorta reliable, had to fix my axle click noise from both of the rear axles and currently still trying to find a place beside the stealership to fix my possible fuel damper noise that has been driving me crazy over the past year, and recently the car started to develop some vibration whenever it comes to a stop, not the throttle body related kind of vibration but more like it's coming from the tranny or the rear diff. other than that the car is good, still looks good and comfortable.
It could be warped rotors, my rotors are warped now and car vibrates. I'm waiting to get a brake upgrade package in a few months.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:20 PM
avol3xo
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Why not go for the 370Z? Unless size was the issue. Some days I really wish I had gone with a 2014+ Z or 2012+ Nismo Z but having the back seat kinda outweighs those moments. 135i is another good option, it's reasonable size wise and the N55 2011+ engine is actually pretty reliable and very responsive to tunes.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Originally Posted by avol3xo
Why not go for the 370Z? Unless size was the issue. Some days I really wish I had gone with a 2014+ Z or 2012+ Nismo Z but having the back seat kinda outweighs those moments. 135i is another good option, it's reasonable size wise and the N55 2011+ engine is actually pretty reliable and very responsive to tunes.
So I didn't go the z route for three reasons,
1. I got a smoking deal on the g. Fully loaded sport with 42k miles for low $20. This was back in 2014 or 15. And couldn't find a z within the same price range, much less one that was similarly optioned.
2. Really needed a back seat for my girlfriend. The black lab rides shotgun. Jk, but I do take him with me as often as I can so needed a back seat.
3. I really really really wanted a 135i, but honestly I could not find one in a manual. I found two 335is but since I financed a little bit of the g, I really couldn't see financing more while still in college.

But I do like the G for what it is, don't get me wrong. I just really wish Nissan would step up their game and make the z and g a bit more track ready from the factory. I'm not asking for an m killer, but something that can go to the track and have a successful track day without parts over heating.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Acrylic
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steven92
It could be warped rotors, my rotors are warped now and car vibrates. I'm waiting to get a brake upgrade package in a few months.
Can the vibrations from the warped rotors damage the car in anyway? My car vibrates cause of this but only at high speeds.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:38 PM
avol3xo
Registered Member

So I didn't go the z route for three reasons,
1. I got a smoking deal on the g. Fully loaded sport with 42k miles for low $20. This was back in 2014 or 15. And couldn't find a z within the same price range, much less one that was similarly optioned.
2. Really needed a back seat for my girlfriend. The black lab rides shotgun. Jk, but I do take him with me as often as I can so needed a back seat.
3. I really really really wanted a 135i, but honestly I could not find one in a manual. I found two 335is but since I financed a little bit of the g, I really couldn't see financing more while still in college.

But I do like the G for what it is, don't get me wrong. I just really wish Nissan would step up their game and make the z and g a bit more track ready from the factory. I'm not asking for an m killer, but something that can go to the track and have a successful track day without parts over heating.
Understood, I did the opposite. I came from a 335i, to an 08 E92 M3 to the G/Q. Needed something more reliable than the high mileage M3, my job required me to start daily commuting again having to go to a location away from the train station and honestly even under warranty the M3 was a pain in the ***. Always in the shop, lights always flashing on the dash. I can't blame BMW maybe the PO ran it into the ground but I def agree on the track ready part. I'm hoping to ride this one for a few years and jump into a GTR if all goes right!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm hoping to ride this one for a few years and jump into a GTR if all goes right!
I'm looking to buy a GT-R in the future too! An R34 GT-R...
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Understood, I did the opposite. I came from a 335i, to an 08 E92 M3 to the G/Q. Needed something more reliable than the high mileage M3, my job required me to start daily commuting again having to go to a location away from the train station and honestly even under warranty the M3 was a pain in the ***. Always in the shop, lights always flashing on the dash. I can't blame BMW maybe the PO ran it into the ground but I def agree on the track ready part. I'm hoping to ride this one for a few years and jump into a GTR if all goes right!
How was the 335i? What year? And honestly my g has been in the shop a lot. I get a loan car so it's not disabling me like my VW did when it needed work (laughed at when asked for loaner). But any idea what was wrong with the m3? I understand getting a car that is more reliable though!

Originally Posted by kickintheglass
I'm looking to buy a GT-R in the future too! An R34 GT-R...
Now we're talking . Hopefully parts start coming state side.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 PM
avol3xo
Registered Member

How was the 335i? What year? And honestly my g has been in the shop a lot. I get a loan car so it's not disabling me like my VW did when it needed work (laughed at when asked for loaner). But any idea what was wrong with the m3? I understand getting a car that is more reliable though!
Had a 2011 335i with the N55 6MT, had the stage 2 JB4 tune and drove it problem free from 14.5k miles to 50k miles. I should have kept it but the idea of the M3 6MT White/Red interior was way too intriguing. First the alternator went bad, the the traction/stability/braking module went bad, leaking head cover gasket, some type of fuel issue came up that they corrected with some type of sensor, then the starter was going bad when I sold it. Over $10k in warranty repairs in 1 year.