G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Burning smell when merging onto freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Recirc or not once you open the sunroof with the windows closed its going to cause enough pressure to suck air in through the vents from outside. This is a car not a bio lab on wheels. Under hard acceleration the crank has higher pressure and if theres anywhere for fluids to push out they will like a weak valve cover gasket. All it takes is literally a microscopic drop of oil to land on hot exhaust to freaking stink up the whole car. then once the smell is in the ducts and cabin filter it's going to hang around a bit.

I once had an e46 bmw that had random burnt oil smells and i always thought it was someone else until one day coming from a light the engine bay erupted in billowing smoke when the valve cover gasket blew out the back pouring oil on the exhaust. I checked everywhere and didnt see anything because of where it was dripping and the fact it was just burning off instead of collecting somewhere visible.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoer
Recirc or not once you open the sunroof with the windows closed its going to cause enough pressure to suck air in through the vents from outside. This is a car not a bio lab on wheels. Under hard acceleration the crank has higher pressure and if theres anywhere for fluids to push out they will like a weak valve cover gasket. All it takes is literally a microscopic drop of oil to land on hot exhaust to freaking stink up the whole car. then once the smell is in the ducts and cabin filter it's going to hang around a bit.

I once had an e46 bmw that had random burnt oil smells and i always thought it was someone else until one day coming from a light the engine bay erupted in billowing smoke when the valve cover gasket blew out the back pouring oil on the exhaust. I checked everywhere and didnt see anything because of where it was dripping and the fact it was just burning off instead of collecting somewhere visible.

This. I have a small seep on my driver side turbo drain. After 3000 miles my oil level is down maybe a couple of mm, if anything at all. It doesn't take much to smell like you are profusely burning oil.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:24 PM
andenimar
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gotten the smell on mine when I perform a harsh acceleration, but I've also gotten it in other cars too; in most occasions the AC is not in recirculation, but sometimes it has happened when in recirculation. This smell is from crankcase fumes. Which include oil vapor, and any combusted but not completely combusted fuel that manages to "blowby" the piston rings during the combustion cycle in the cylinders. These fumes are piped from the crankcase section of the block and re-routed back to the intake manifold to be re-burnt in the combustion chamber. So basically, the higher the mileage on the engine and the greater the wear on the piston rings and cylinders, the greater the "blowby" into the crankcase.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Meh....not convinced of the blowby theory. My car had 16K miles on it when I bought it and I smelled it during the test drive. I've done a pretty thorough inspection and see no leaks or traces of fluid anywhere. I'll double check to be sure.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:24 PM
andenimar
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as we want the cylinders to be sealed, they will never be perfect (even on a brand new engine). No cylinders can totally prevent some pressure loss and some of those chemical elements will pass thru, which in term will make it present in the crankcase. Keep in mind that I am talking about a very small amount (as long as your engine is in good running order), but still it has to go somewhere.

I just want to clarify that there's a normal amount of blowby, and that normal amount is what (I think) we are smelling - at least that's what I tell myself. Some people say that dividing the engine horsepower output by 50 should give a rough number of how much blowby a driver should normally expect (don't take my word for it).

Last edited by andenimar; 07-21-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: some typos - I am sure there's more
Old 07-21-2016, 11:06 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
I don't know my previous cars never did this.

Doesn't the 2014 Q50 share the same motor as the 2015 Q60? The only smell from the Q50 was the A/C and the Sun Roof Drain tube that made the car smell like B.O.