Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Jeebus

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
G37 shutting off

So I've never ran into this issue but, this afternoon trying to get a quick bite I start my car and it starts then shuts off immediately. Tried 7-9 times and did the same thing. It shuts off into the 2nd mode which the engine isn't on but everything else is, all electronics. I let it sit for about 5 minutes afterwards and it started up normally but with very much hesitation.

I live in FL and climate might be a factor but my car is garage kept and sat in the garage since friday evening, first time starting it was today. Could it be the battery? I just cleaned the MAF sensor, but I'm afraid to drive it to autozone or something and be stuck in the middle of the road if it shuts off again. To test the battery. I tried getting a video but at the last try it worked.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 PM
infinitiman96
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't sound like the battery. How many miles are on your car? Have you tried cleaning out the throttle bodies? There is a DIY on the site you can find by doing a search. I had a similar problem with my G coupe and cleaning the throttle bodies fixed the intermittent stalling problem I had.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Jeebus

Originally Posted by infinitiman96
Doesn't sound like the battery. How many miles are on your car? Have you tried cleaning out the throttle bodies? There is a DIY on the site you can find by doing a search. I had a similar problem with my G coupe and cleaning the throttle bodies fixed the intermittent stalling problem I had.
52k it's a 2011, never cleaned the throttle bodies. I noticed that my engine bay was covered in a lot of sand from the beach.. idk if that played a factor.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 PM
isosunrise

I have a 2011 as well. This problem started when I had 56k and still continuing and I have 82k. I brought the car to several dealers and only one had a a diagnosis and claimed it was the mass air flow sensor. It doesn't happen to me every day so dealer can not always "re create" the problem. I probably posted once or twice and was told to clean the throttle bottles, however I'm not a diy person so I've been looking for someone locally to fix the issue. Have you figured out your problem yet?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Jeebus

Originally Posted by isosunrise
I have a 2011 as well. This problem started when I had 56k and still continuing and I have 82k. I brought the car to several dealers and only one had a a diagnosis and claimed it was the mass air flow sensor. It doesn't happen to me every day so dealer can not always "re create" the problem. I probably posted once or twice and was told to clean the throttle bottles, however I'm not a diy person so I've been looking for someone locally to fix the issue. Have you figured out your problem yet?
Will be taking it to the dealer this week to try to sort something out.

But the hesitation or "lag" has gone away I cleaned the MAF sensors, spraying about 6 times and reset the ECU.. let it stay in the garage for 2 hours and now it starts up as normal. It may be a temp fix but still want to know what the dealers say. Will clean the throttle bodies tomorrow but as of now it's working normally after what I've done... I think it was the MAF sensors though it had a ton of sand on it and the intakes too as well.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
I have had this happen to me too before..not 7-9 times though. After the second attempt I gave it a little gas and it started. It would fire and then immediately stall out...not sure what the problem is either and since mine doesn't happen often i chalked it up to a hiccup and kept it movin. Keep us up to date on what the dealer says it is or might be
Old 05-11-2016, 06:23 PM
isosunrise

Curious as to what the dealer has come up with. Looked into my old records and saw notes of resetting ecu... I've done this a few times and it's no different. I also saw something about resetting maf or cleaning it rather.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:28 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I'd be concerned that there are sand deposits in the intake. If you have/had sand in/on the MAF's and along the actual intake tubes then the air filters aren't doing their job. Any contaminants, especially coarse sand, potentially being ingested into the engine is asking for trouble.

Just my thoughts...