Sponsored By:

Resonator add to HFC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Resonator add to HFC?

Hey guys! New member here. Not the most well-informed person on modifications but I'm learning. Anyways, I have a 2011 G37xS. I bought the Motordyne catback and had it welded on (Due to transfer case as I'm sure you guys know). Anyways, sounded great but I wanted to add a HFC (Setup used OEM headers). Being that it's AWD, I can't direct bolt-on ART pipes so that's why I went with a HFC. The hardest decision was if I wanted to go with a resonated HFC or not.

With that being said, I went with Berks HFC for a few reasons. 1. I figured I could get a resonator welded on if I didn't like it. If I bought the resonated HFC and didn't like it, I couldn't just remove the resonator, right? 2. I would have to wait 6 weeks for the FI resonated HFC compared to 2 days for Berks. 3. Cheaper.

HOWEVER, I am a bit dissatisfied with my current setup just simply because of drone and it's a tad too loud. I don't mind loud, but between the interior shakes and anyone hearing me within a 5 mile radius at 6k RPMs, it's a bit too much.

Now I already knew that drone noise and whatnot may of been an issue, but I wasn't sure. So where it stands, I'd like to add a resonator and would like some suggestions or help.

Does someone have a direct link for a resonator that'll work for my setup, or is it more complicated than that? All in all, I just want to eliminate drone as much as possible. Hopefully with making the exhaust a little bit toned down but not too much. If I can get that done, I'll be completely satisfied.

Sorry if this post is stupid but I don't want to have to make an appointment a few weeks from now just to figure out the sizing for the resonator if someone here would know what I need. Plus, the quicker I can get the resonator added, the less likely I'll get pulled over by the police lol.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Cutting into your Berk HFCs for a resonator install leaves little room for error (straight cuts, increasing overall HFC length, exhaust flange re-mating to the mid-pipe, etc).
IMO, maybe working in a high quality resonantor on the y-pipe would be a better option. I have Berk HFCs and have been looking at this product:
Amazon.com: Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator: Automotive Amazon.com: Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator: Automotive

There's a comparison video from 2013 listed in the review section that makes me in favor of this idea vice cutting the Berks which made need to be sold at a later date. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:31 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bravo at
Welcome to the forum.
Cutting into your Berk HFCs for a resonator install leaves little room for error (straight cuts, increasing overall HFC length, exhaust flange re-mating to the mid-pipe, etc).
IMO, maybe working in a high quality resonantor on the y-pipe would be a better option. I have Berk HFCs and have been looking at this product: Amazon.com: Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator: Automotive

There's a comparison video from 2013 listed in the review section that makes me in favor of this idea vice cutting the Berks which made need to be sold at a later date. Good luck.
First off, let me just say thanks for such a detailed response! That seems like a solid resonator as well! Pretty sure I saw someone on YouTube use the same one. Now, adding this.. Will it make a dramatic difference in sound or just a small amount? I don't want my expensive exhaust setup to be quiet lol.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:06 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Try the link and watch the video. He shows three setups: stock, with HFC/cat exhaust, then all that with the resonator. Your first say a little too loud. Youll have to be the judge.

For me the exhaust upgrade was performanced based not wake up the kids based.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:57 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Maybe the Motordyne XYZ Resonated pipe would be an easy bolt on option for you?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have resonated test pipes but am getting HFC's welded in place. I'll let ya know how it goes in like 2 weeks when I get it all put together whether its a good idea or not lol
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Kris, might have to have a talk with the OP...compare ideas