Sponsored By:

Thoughts on a black chrome lip spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thoughts on a black chrome lip spoiler?

I hate the chrome. Been just dealing with it, but I really don't care for it. I was thinking of getting the duplicolor "Shadow Chrome" to give it a black chrome to match the front of the gunmetal grille.

I have not seen it done before, and was curious to hear thoughts. I see black plastidip for the lip, and it looks decent, but a little on the fence about it, and would want to be different. Ultimately I want the sport spoiler, but cannot quite justify spending $500 on such a cosmetic part. This would only be a $20 upgrade

And yes, I am comfortable with the spray can technique.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:47 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
On your color I think it will look at least as good if you have other black trim on the car. But if its just the chrome accent painted black chrome.. I am not sure..

I know that people have painted it to match the body. I have seen quite a few done in black on a black car
Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
On your color I think it will look at least as good if you have other black trim on the car. But if its just the chrome accent painted black chrome.. I am not sure..

I know that people have painted it to match the body. I have seen quite a few done in black on a black car
I plan on a black roof wrap, and gunmetal sport 19s eventually. Possibly black emblem dip...The lip def wouldn't be the final edit
Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 PM
supreme
Registered Member

And yes, blk looks great, but not sure how color match would look on the QAA. A little indifferent on it.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:45 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
I did it last week or should I say tried and failed last week.

I am the minority on here I am not fond of the OEM spoiler. It seems too OEM and it blends in too eaily and gets lost in the trunk. Kinda like an accord with a spoiler....Just my opinion. It also requires drilling two 8mm holes in your trunk so once you commit there is no going back.

I too hate the chrome but I honestly like the look of the rear better with the chrome spoiler shape...just not the chrome.

I bought the duplicolor black chrome kit and attempted to do it. I am not an amateur at painting things but I am also not professional. I found it difficult to apply to where it was smooth and uniform. So I prepped the hell out of the chrome (you just need to clean it they say and that is all). The first time I applied it I got tiny circles that did not cover....so I removed and tried again...prepped further cleaned with alcohol and various other prep spays etc. still got tiny circles....tried a 3rd time same thing. So on my 4th failed attempt I used a adhesive promoter and this did not help....
I ended up doing three coats of black chrome, 3 coats black primer, 3 coats gloss black and 3 coats of clear....

Here is a pic....my intention was black chrome but in playing with it I noticed that the black contrast with the color I have Graphite shadow looked amazing so I just made it a gloss black....

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 03-01-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
By the way if you want to get the spoiler for around 380 you can get it here...

Infiniti Discount OEM Parts and Accessories

Put in the code:ESTORE2016

Ends up being 389.00

If my gloss black spoiler does not hold up to abuse I will have it wrapped or in the end get the OEM spoiler as the last option....