Sponsored By:

**** keeps breaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:24 AM
Maelstrom
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** keeps breaking

Mod bug is hitting me hard, but crap on my car keeps breaking and I'm spending all my money (that I don't actually have) just keeping the stupid thing running...
  • bought July 1, 2014, 49k miles
  • 49.1k miles - baffle in muffler loose, dealership replaced from axle back under warranty
  • 51k miles - cruise control starts malfunctioning, ~6 trips to the dealership and they replace: clutch engagement swtich, brake engagement switch, ECU (twice), finally track down problem to a grounding issue on some wire (covered by factory warranty)
  • 58k miles - CSC and master cylinder go, not covered by warranty, replaced with z1 elimination kit ($$)
  • 60.05k miles - throw a rod through the block, Infiniti won't touch it but quotes me $13K for used engine + labor, z1 came to my rescue again for significantly less. ($$$$$)
  • Last week (currently at 65k miles) I noticed a small leak from somewhere in my power steering system... appointment to get it looked at tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just a loose connection (couldn't precisely locate with jack/jackstands, need to get it on a lift). If my rack and pinion need replacing, I'm going to flip my ****

Anyone else have good luck like me? brb, I'm going to go play in a lightning storm...
Old 02-16-2016, 09:39 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Dang man.. I have seen issues with the CSC on the 6MTs reported often. The other issues are not common what what I have seen...

Much success with repairs and modding
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
For all you know, you have a lemon in your hands.

It sure looks like it.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Dam stock power and threw a rod through the block? Right after that I would have sold the car and bought another g37. And I agree with Mr_Mer, you might have yourself a lemon.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Lemon law does not apply to used cars if he bought it as is..Also not the same issue he is dealing with.. Why didnt you look into an extended warranty when buying a used car.. I made that mistake once when I bought my 350z nothing but issues..but lucky I was able to give it back to the dealer and buy a new one... Last used car I would ever buy
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM
xnick101
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
Lemon law does not apply to used cars if he bought it as is..Also not the same issue he is dealing with.. Why didnt you look into an extended warranty when buying a used car.. I made that mistake once when I bought my 350z nothing but issues..but lucky I was able to give it back to the dealer and buy a new one... Last used car I would ever buy
Didn't know that about lemon law. But saying buying used cars is only going to turn into issues isn't a true statement. I bought my g37 with 45k miles and its now at 70k. The car has been driven hard since day one and has seen multiple track days. Car has had zero issues.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Maelstrom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
True about the lemon law.

I was 28 years old when I bought it. It was the first decent car I'd ever bought, and everyone told me it was a bulletproof platform... lessons learned, and I will definitely look into extended warranties on my next vehicle purchase.

I discussed with the dealership about them buying it back during the cruise control debacle, but the issue was cleared up shortly after the discussion. After each issue, I thought: surely nothing worse can happen now... haha!

Just heard back from the mechanic on the power steering. Luckily it was just the fitting between the rubber > copper piping that was bad and leaking. I'll be back up and running in a couple hours!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Maelstrom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xnick101
Dam stock power and threw a rod through the block? Right after that I would have sold the car and bought another g37. And I agree with Mr_Mer, you might have yourself a lemon.

You aren't kidding... I was on my way home from work. Pulled from a stop light (wasn't running hard), and *boom* at ~25mph in 2nd gear. Everyone asked "did you run it out of oil?" but I had just changed the oil less than 2 weeks ago, and left about 4 quarts in the road when it blew, so I know it wasn't dry, haha. They checked the oil filter to see if it was loose or misthreaded, but it was not.

I asked Z1 to see if they could determine the issue when they dismantled the old block, but they said with 2 big holes and mangled insides, they couldn't find anything conclusive.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

That's really weird. I guessing there was a sharp drop in oil pressure. I know a couple people have had that issue where there is a leak in the rear timing cover. Very rare but can happen.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Kind of wishing you bought that extended warranty now

Such catastrophic reports are few and rare on here. In the four years on the forum I think there's been maybe 1 or 2 others that such major issues. Probably more on the 370z site as there's more of those cars and driven harder.

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
OP, what year was your vehicle?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare, now I'm glad the dealership talked me into the warranty, I still have 24k miles before I have to stress.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 AM
leng123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Mod bug is hitting me hard, but crap on my car keeps breaking and I'm spending all my money (that I don't actually have) just keeping the stupid thing running...
  • bought July 1, 2014, 49k miles
  • 49.1k miles - baffle in muffler loose, dealership replaced from axle back under warranty
  • 51k miles - cruise control starts malfunctioning, ~6 trips to the dealership and they replace: clutch engagement swtich, brake engagement switch, ECU (twice), finally track down problem to a grounding issue on some wire (covered by factory warranty)
  • 58k miles - CSC and master cylinder go, not covered by warranty, replaced with z1 elimination kit ($$)
  • 60.05k miles - throw a rod through the block, Infiniti won't touch it but quotes me $13K for used engine + labor, z1 came to my rescue again for significantly less. ($$$$$)
  • Last week (currently at 65k miles) I noticed a small leak from somewhere in my power steering system... appointment to get it looked at tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just a loose connection (couldn't precisely locate with jack/jackstands, need to get it on a lift). If my rack and pinion need replacing, I'm going to flip my ****

Anyone else have good luck like me? brb, I'm going to go play in a lightning storm...
mine is at 73k miles and never had an issue. It's either yours is a lemon or the shop is purposely messing up your ride.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:06 AM
Maelstrom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
OP, what year was your vehicle?
2008 G37S coupe
Old 02-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Maelstrom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Just heard back from the mechanic on the power steering. Luckily it was just the fitting between the rubber > copper piping that was bad and leaking. I'll be back up and running in a couple hours!

A week later and my power steering is still leaking. Now the dealership is saying the pressure line was clamped improperly (they are blaming the guys who did the engine swap) and needs to be replaced. They want $350 + 3 hours labor, after they've already charged me 2 hours labor for the connections they replaced last week...

I see a pressure hose on RockAuto for $120 (Nissan/Infiniti p/n 49720-JK62C). Any idea how hard this is to replace? I'm guessing I'll need a lift to get at it properly...

Quick Reply: **** keeps breaking